You can run, but you will only die tired! AOD Member AOD_Triptonite1980's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Diablo
    Status
    Active

Geekout Windows 10 Anniversary Crashes

Hello Members of AOD,

Okay so I know I'm the new guy here and you're not actually reading or responding to "any" of my Forums or comments.
    But there are a lot of people out there who are having some SERIOUS issues with the new Windows 10 Anniversary update,
    whether it's your entire OS locking up or it's giving you issues loading your favorite game.
    There are a few work around, for BF4 there is editing your Profile config files to read full screen.
    I've been working on this issue for about two days, I spent 9 solid hours yesterday working on my PC, Uninstalling Origin,
    Uninstalling BF4, Uninstalling GPU Drivers and do a driver sweep. I've done a lot troubleshooting this issue.
    Today I've found a solution DIRECT from the Microsoft Team.
    Wanna know what they suggested to me? LAUGHING SO HARD TODAY!

Microsoft realized they've messed up using a very small test group with pretty standard machines and have no ideas on where they went
    wrong with their coding. So they've suggested to ALL having the Freezing problems, low computer performance issues and so on...
    Basically they tell you to Rollback to previous version of windows 10.
    So here's a link from Rededit with the Steps to accomplish this.
    This site is NOT rededit but it's been quoted from there. Sorry for link confusion

http://www.mweb.co.za/games/view/tab...rkarounds.aspx
    I had to use step 2 on recovering my older OS.

I sincerely hope this helps at least a few of you all

Thanks

AOD_Triptonite1980

You can run, but you will only die tired! AOD Member AOD_Triptonite1980's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Diablo
    Status
    Active

It works, BF4 icon now appears and stays on Task Bar, will test my other games and applications later when I get home.
    Good luck all And I hope this helps some of ya

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'd like to add, to prevent Windows 10 from automatically installing this version, do this:

Type in search and hit enter: run
    Type and hit enter: gpedit.msc
    Group Policy will open
    Navigate to: Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update
    On the right side window find "Configure Automatic Updates"
    You may set it to Enabled and then chose for example 2 option to Notify about updates or you may simply set to Disabled. To roll back to default settings set it back to "Not Configured"

Also, this helps to control, what updates to install. You may want to prevent Windows from updating some drivers cause usually Microsoft drivers mess up things and best is to use Manufacture drivers.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Diablo
    Status
    Active

I've attempted opening the Group Policy using this addition AOD_ZedZedski

I get a "Windows cannot find 'gpedit.msc'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Triptonite1980 View Post
    I've attempted opening the Group Policy using this addition AOD_ZedZedski

I get a "Windows cannot find 'gpedit.msc'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."
    What Windows version are you running on? Home or Pro?

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Diablo
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZedZedski View Post
    What Windows version are you running on? Home or Pro?
    Windows 10 Home 64bit.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Triptonite1980 View Post
    Windows 10 Home 64bit.
    Ah, for Home edition you need to download Group Policy tool and enable it. Group Policy is only included in Pro version by default.

This may help to get it:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...5b904f4?auth=1

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Diablo
    Status
    Active

Ah, for Home edition you need to download Group Policy tool and enable it. Group Policy is only included in Pro version by default.

This may help to get it:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...5b904f4?auth=1
    I will give it a try, at the moment I'm running an early version of Windows 10 that worked and having no issues again running in crossfire mode

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Adv3rsity's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thank you both for sharing this information! I am not experiencing any issues as I thankfully have not received the anniversary update yet. Knowing the issues that are still occurring, I plan on holding off on applying this update.

Thanks and best wishes on resolving all of your issues!

Can I have your Tots AFreakingHippy's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If the only issue people are experiencing is games not launching, I literally just updated to the anniversary edition, and all my games are launching properly. No issues at all. Only thing was having to reinstall my nvidia driver, and it was all solid!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_AFreakingHippy View Post
    If the only issue people are experiencing is games not launching, I literally just updated to the anniversary edition, and all my games are launching properly. No issues at all. Only thing was having to reinstall my nvidia driver, and it was all solid!
    I had problems with Audio Drivers and Sonic Studio from ASUS for my ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero mobo. But I resolved that issue and also posted it on ROG forum. Also, ASUS is aware of it as they replied on the forum and are working on releasing a new version.
    Moreover, Microsoft admitted that there are issues with the new version and are working on resolving them. So, we might have another update soon.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Diablo
    Status
    Active

I've gone and wiped out my hard drive and done a fresh install of Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit and won't be going back to Windows 10 until it's better.
    Running doom 2016 on Ultra settings getting 60 - 75 FPS now. BF on Ultra with some tweaking runs steady 60FPS.
    Couldn't get my windows 10 install to work after the anniversary update, even rolled back to an early version and had everything running really nice again. That night even after turning off Windows update it updated with no Scheduled task to do so or having anything saying it was okay.
    And yeah I ran GPEdit and turned it all off even.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! neruxxx's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

just a heads up, win10 ae is installing some shitty generic drivers for some devices, i had to search and reinstall drivers for my usb 2.0 and 3.0 devices as they were not working properly and in some instances causing crashes.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_neruxxx View Post
    just a heads up, win10 ae is installing some shitty generic drivers for some devices, i had to search and reinstall drivers for my usb 2.0 and 3.0 devices as they were not working properly and in some instances causing crashes.
    yeap and what I mentioned above, just modify Group Policy and you will be able to control all updates and choose what to update and what not.

Foxtrot, Unicorn, Charlie, Kilo Neotoad's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Battlefield 4 has been crashing a lot after this update. My computer is otherwise unaffected. I will have to check if all of my devices are using the right drivers now...Thanks, M$

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Neotoad View Post
    Battlefield 4 has been crashing a lot after this update. My computer is otherwise unaffected. I will have to check if all of my devices are using the right drivers now...Thanks, M$
    You might want to try reinstalling the game.
    I had to reinstall Virtual Box cause it was not launching and I couldn't launch my Virtual Machines.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Diablo
    Status
    Active

You might want to try reinstalling the game.
    I had to reinstall Virtual Box cause it was not launching and I couldn't launch my Virtual Machines.
    I had tried that actually,
    Deleted Origin and BattleField 4 to reinstall the grossly large game file to have it also not work. Was getting a lot of driver hang ups lately on my Dual AMD 7950's so I had reinstalled my NVidia GTX960 card and Thinking perhaps my Power supply is going and not able to supply enough power to my cards.