Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I just picked up a 144mhz GSYNC monitor tonight, I didn't mind someone else building it for me. :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_iDarthJedi View Post
    I just picked up a 144mhz GSYNC monitor tonight, I didn't mind someone else building it for me. :-)

Hz not Mhz ..

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'm not much of a monitor connisour but I've realized my GTX 1070 is being throttled by my 60Hz refresh on my wide-screen IPS.

So, I picked up the Dell 27" - the internet seems to be rating it as one of the top for 2106.. *shrug*. I wanted the Acer Predator Curved wide-screen but BB was sold out and $1000+ seemed excessive anyway.

This is what I picked up:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0149...qid=1484963971

And sorry for the multiple posts, I was posting between stoplights. Heh.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'm not much of a monitor connisour but I've realized my GTX 1070 is being throttled by my 60Hz refresh on my wide-screen IPS.

So, I picked up the Dell 27" - the internet seems to be rating it as one of the top for 2106.. *shrug*. I wanted the Acer Predator Curved wide-screen but BB was sold out and $1000+ seemed excessive anyway.

This is what I picked up:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0149...qid=1484963971

And sorry for the multiple posts, I was posting between stoplights. Heh.

It's an ok Gsync monitor but there are better out there from BenQ, ASUS and Acer.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Velozzity View Post
    Then the OP should find either a microcenter/frys etc that will let him pick out parts with their assistance and build it, or find a boutique online builder who will build with off the shelf retail parts and not some proprietary crap like Zed stated.
    Not sure what you did want to say with this comment but ok.
    As for proprietary parts, I was referring to Alienware and some DELL desktops.

Im on board a sinking ship of misfits. beerddlovliness's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I use a PNY brand SSD - its 500gb and I got it for $80 USD roughly. IF you are looking to save money that is. Also, the H100i from corsair, are you planning on overclocking if not I would buy that at a later date. I would also try to find a 7200 RPM hardrive. I dont know if you need the 3tb. you could save your self a little money haha. The rest of it for the most part looks fine to me. There isnt anything wrong with what I put here, it would just be saving myself at least some money if I were building it. Good luck on the build though. I built my first PC a year ago and now Im about do for a video card upgrade lol. SSD as well.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I had to upgrade my BenQ XL2411Z 144Hz monitor to 60 Hz because I realized that my GTX 1070 is throttling in many games and is not running 144 FPS thus I have enormous screen tearing.

This is what I picked up. Best 60Hz monitor on the market cause Amazon says 4.5 stars :-)
    https://www.amazon.com/Dell-S2415H-2...00M9B3XZW?th=1

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZED View Post
    Not sure what you did want to say with this comment but ok.
    As for proprietary parts, I was referring to Alienware and some DELL desktops.
    haha - I was just pointing out that in the end almost everything comes down to proprietary parts; I understand the desire to build you own, I did mine for about 20 years, I've finally just gave up and went the easy route and I've had good luck, I often find competitve pricing too: everyone's mileage is going to vary.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

It's an ok Gsync monitor but there are better out there from BenQ, ASUS and Acer.
    I am pretty pleased with it so far, 100-115 fps; had to push it to the back of the desk though, I'm used to a 32" ultrawide, the 27" almost made me sick when I sat too close.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I had to upgrade my BenQ XL2411Z 144Hz monitor to 60 Hz because I realized that my GTX 1070 is throttling in many games and is not running 144 FPS thus I have enormous screen tearing.

This is what I picked up. Best 60Hz monitor on the market cause Amazon says 4.5 stars :-)
    https://www.amazon.com/Dell-S2415H-2...00M9B3XZW?th=1
    really- thats odd, I just changed from my 60Hz to the 144Hz because I wasn't pleased that I spent that much on a video card and was still only getting 60fps.. heh. no issues so far, but I'm only running 120Hz, I read that the 144 is overclocked and could have issues.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

haha - I was just pointing out that in the end almost everything comes down to proprietary parts; I understand the desire to build you own, I did mine for about 20 years, I've finally just gave up and went the easy route and I've had good luck, I often find competitve pricing too: everyone's mileage is going to vary.

Well if you did not have experience with Dell desktops then a little googling would help you understand what I meant.
    Here I did it for you so you don't have to suffer typing those key words with non mechanical keyboard on your $4800 DELL Alienware. Plenty of articles to read, tho.
    https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...ietary%20parts
    Last edited by ZED; 01-21-2017 at 01:19 AM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I still have two poweredge servers sitting in my 42U and an Alienware 17 r3 I can't get rid of, let me know if you are interested - I'll give you a good deal!

What I'm pointing out is that you can try and get an Intel chipset to go into an AMD socket, or get MSI firmware to work on an ASUS motherboard. or get Freesync to work with Nvidia video cards (at least not yet); but you're not going to have much luck.

Technology is full of proprietary components. :-)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

BTW I've never suggested buying a Dell, I've had nothing but headaches with them; starting with the first Dell I purchased in the early 90s. After months of frustration I finnaly found a pinhole in the ide ribbon, I kid not! That alienware was the last Dell purchase I ever made. The crossfire x never worked right and the primary GeForce has to go into the oven at least once a year to reseat the solder.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I still have two poweredge servers sitting in my 42U and an Alienware 17 r3 I can't get rid of, let me know if you are interested - I'll give you a good deal!

What I'm pointing out is that you can try and get an Intel chipset to go into an AMD socket, or get MSI firmware to work on an ASUS motherboard. or get Freesync to work with Nvidia video cards (at least not yet); but you're not going to have much luck.

Technology is full of proprietary components. :-)

Those are industry standard components that will work with Standard PSU, Standard Form Factor Cases, Standard Components that are meant to work together, while on DELL, good luck replacing PSU with none DELL PSU, good luck fitting in ASUS, MSI, ASROCK or any standard ATX, etc Form Factor motherboard into DELL case, or good luck replacing battery on your Alienware with third party manufacturer.

But now lets make it clear what is Proprietary Hardware:
    Proprietary hardware is computer hardware whose interface is controlled by the proprietor, often under patent or trade-secret protection.
    Hence, DELL decides to build a desktop with non standard form factor motherboard, proprietary PSU connectors, and none standard form factor case. Or, DELL decides to make proprietary power circuits on Alienware, thus you can't replace battery or power supply with third party manufacturer. It's ok if you just use it at home but it's a pain in the ass if you work in an organization and maintenance costs are high because you have to buy DELL PSU, which may be more expensive than you can find any other on the market.
    Last edited by ZED; 01-21-2017 at 02:29 AM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Those are industry standard components that will work with Standard PSU, Standard Form Factor Cases, Standard Components that are meant to work together, while on DELL, good luck replacing PSU with none DELL PSU, good luck fitting in ASUS, MSI, ASROCK or any standard ATX, etc Form Factor motherboard into DELL case, or good luck replacing battery on your Alienware with third party manufacturer.

But now lets make it clear what is Proprietary Hardware:
    Proprietary hardware is computer hardware whose interface is controlled by the proprietor, often under patent or trade-secret protection.
    Hence, DELL decides to build a desktop with non standard form factor motherboard, proprietary PSU connectors, and none standard form factor case. Or, DELL decides to make proprietary power circuits on Alienware, thus you can't replace battery or power supply with third party manufacturer. It's ok if you just use it at home but it's a pain in the ass if you work in an organization and maintenance costs are high because you have to buy DELL PSU, which may be more expensive than you can find any other on the market.
    Just to add to last sentence. Probably that is the reason why DELL is thinking of getting rid of proprietary components on their products, since many organizations rather choose something that is more flexible when it comes to maintenance in order to reduce costs.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

adjective: proprietary

Relating to an owner or ownership
    of a product marketed under and protected by a registered trade name.

http://boingboing.net/2016/06/15/int...ship-with.html

Q.E.D.

:-)

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

NZXT S340 is too small for that cooler. I barely fit in my H110i into my NZXT h440, which is a bit bigger case. I would go with h440 for this build, it looks nicer too.
    Btw, Western Digital is not as reliable as Seagate drives and Seagate is not as reliable as HGST drives.

Here is a great website that collects data from Data centers:
    https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-...stats-q1-2016/

From my personal 20 years of experience in building and working with PCs and as well as working as Sys Admin, I can confirm that those stats are accurate. I personally have a couple WD dead drives lying around at home, while I did not ever have problems with Seagate in 20 years.
    Western Digital Drives don't Arrive DOA 3 times IN A ROW. My dad (About the same amount of experience working in IT and building PC's.) had 3 DOA Seagate drives in a row. Seagate has next to no QC. Also, the H100i will fit in the S340 Elite, But, you would be better off with the Kraken X62 just to keep with the NZXT theme. I'd never touch a seagate, even if one was given to me for free, you couldn't make me take it.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_KaosC57 View Post
    Western Digital Drives don't Arrive DOA 3 times IN A ROW. My dad (About the same amount of experience working in IT and building PC's.) had 3 DOA Seagate drives in a row. Seagate has next to no QC.
    Well tell that to Data Center statistics :-)
    You can clearly see that 4 TB Seagate drives are better than Western Digital, however, 1.5 TB Seagate tend to have more DOA than WD. But HGST has the least DOA than both of them. There is one HGST drive, which out of 3000 drives has 0% failure. As for Seagate, I have an 11 year old Seagate drive still running and is in use to store data, while I have 4 WD dead drives lying around. Maybe I just had bad luck with WD. I do also have a 7 year old HGST drive and it works flawless as well.
    And those stats I sent you are pretty accurate since they are taken from Data Centers where drives are running on full load 24/7.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Do you plan to learn to overclock and push your CPU to its maximum? If not, the cooler you have selected is entirely overkill.
    I'd save cash and either use the stock cooler (if it comes with one) or buy a small air cooler, and use the extra cash for a better gpu.

Other than that theres plenty of good ideas floating around this thread, I also suggest getting kabylake instead of skylake.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Velozzity's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Well tell that to Data Center statistics :-)
    You can clearly see that 4 TB Seagate drives are better than Western Digital, however, 1.5 TB Seagate tend to have more DOA than WD. But HGST has the least DOA than both of them. There is one HGST drive, which out of 3000 drives has 0% failure. As for Seagate, I have an 11 year old Seagate drive still running and is in use to store data, while I have 4 WD dead drives lying around. Maybe I just had bad luck with WD. I do also have a 7 year old HGST drive and it works flawless as well.
    And those stats I sent you are pretty accurate since they are taken from Data Centers where drives are running on full load 24/7.
    I read that site you quoted and whats funny is if you look closely it says HGST, by western digital, so wtf, are the normal western digital ones just consumer grade drives sold as enterprise, since they are in fact part of the same parent company?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast