Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default For those of you with jets, whats your opinion on them?

I'm no where near jets, but my curiosity has been peaked as of late.

How do they fly in warthunder through the various modes? I would assume its easiest to dogfight in arcade, but you would have to do pass throughs in realistic/simulator?

Is there enough variety when it comes to the way they fly, or do all the jets essentially react the same?

Do you prefer flying in jets or piston planes? Why?

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes DaddyWabbit's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I own and fly them all.

There is plenty of variety across all the nations when you have unlocked all the jets.

Sabres and migs all fly similar.
    me 163 and ki 200 fly similar
    all the f80's fly alike
    the yak 15's and yak 17's are pretty much the same
    the mig 9 s are pretty much identical
    the meteors are similar but vary slightly in characteristics like speed climb rate and maneuverability as the BR goes up performance/maneuverability goes up in some manner.
    The me262 a ll fly the same with the exception of the c1 that has the booster, it will out perform the other me262 easily and when your good with it you can hang with a sabre or mig 15 easily if their plane is not fully upgraded or has poor pilot syndrome, until your booster runs outs ( you can land and repair it to regain the booster)

US jets have problems shooting down bombers unless missle are equipped
    missle and bombs severely affect a jets performance
    F2 sabre with the cannons is a far superior sabre, but you will get hunted in it. (in arcade)
    MIg15and mig 15 bis are superior in Arcade battles. (cannons are king in arcade)
    163 , 262 mig 9 mig 15's all work well for bomber clubbing, US/UK planes your better off killing fighters
    A single mig 9 in your line up with a bunch of lower props and you can bomber club matches all day long till you get bored.
    STOCK jets, suck pretty much in all countrys. The me163 and mig9's are the least painful when brand new.
    Panthers are great if you can get in a match that is not plagued with 163, mig15's and sabre's, otherwise you have to look for pilot errors to take advantage of. The panthers are not so good at level bombing but do well dive bombing (more accurate).

Whether anyone enjoys props or jets depends I can have fun with either, and if your good a fighting jets with props, you will enjoy Germany, Japan with or without jets in your lineup.

Germany currently has the most versatile lineup for Arcade matches were you can fly more than one plane, great props and a good mix of jets to choose from as well as a jet bomber.

Danneskjold Repossessions. AOD Member AOD_Danneskjold's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

There's really 3 levels to the jets.

Beginner jets, like the P-80, HE-162, Yak-15, Meteor Mark 3.

Medium Level Jets like the F9F's, Me-262C's, Meteor Mark 4-8, Mig 9's.

Swept wing jets like the F-86's, Mig-15's... Swept wing jets are markedly better than the Medium jets because they are faster, have better acceleration, better high speed characteristics, and often have hydraulics giving them better maneuverability.

Jets operate significantly different than Props. A propeller quickly loses power as it goes faster. A jet on the other hand, gains power as it goes faster. And then a prop gains power when it's slower, a jet has less power when it's slower.

Moral of the Story: Always keep your jet moving fast.

Last Trick: When you want to climb, take off, stay level, build up a lot of speed, and then climb.

Let me pass, or put skill to final test. Wipe's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_DaddyWabbit View Post

Sabres and migs all fly similar.

At Real/Sim Battles, the Sabre performs better where the Mig does not and vice versa.

And yes, there's a lot of variety at the top tiers, you have to know very well your strengths and weakness as well as theirs if you want to end the match with at least a kill.

The games are completly different, as Dannes says, the speed is very important so is the teamplay.

Take your time to get to the jets, but when you do, come find us and we'll teach you everything we know.