Killing is my business, and business is good Lissajester's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default dream machine

there is a possibility in a couple months i might be able to build a new computer.

this is what i came up with, im looking for opinion and critiques on this build. and yes i know thing will change in 2 to 4 months. damn technology.

Case:
    Fractal Design Define R5 119.99

Motherboard:
    ASUS Z97-PRO LGA 1150 Intel Z97 189.99

CPU:
    Intel Core i7-4790K 339.99

CPU Cooler:
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 34.99

Memory:
    G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB SDRAM DDR3 1866 129.99

SSD:
    SAMSUNG 850 EVO-Series 500GB SATA III 199.99

Power Supply:
    EVGA SuperNOVA 220-GS-0850-V1 850W 139.99

Video Card:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB 569.99

Blu-Ray Drive:
    LG Black 12X BD-ROM 44.99

OS
    Window 8.1 PRO 139.99

Total 1894.90

I have 2 relatively new 24 inch ASUS monitors and a new roccat mouse and a old but trustworthy G11 keyboard, so no need to replace them

thanks for you thoughts and inputs
    Last edited by Lissajester; 03-17-2015 at 09:14 PM.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Vonarus's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Drop down to about a 850W PSU, single 12V rail, modular.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue prowler707's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

there may not be much support for anything over a 4-core processor but i went for the amd fx-8350 its an 8-core @ 4GHz simply use the cpu unpark utility v1 (NOT v2 doesnt seem to work the same) you can google it and youll be ready for the next few years or so easily especially for any ported games you may like beings xbox one and ps4 went with 6+core amd processors amd may not have much of a heat tolerance which kills its overclock ability but we all know that games AND other apps WILL get more ridiculous as the years go by plus i got mine on newegg for about $180 thats a steal of a deal to me trust me im more than happy with this cpu

cpu unpark utility is also attached helped me loads the original zip file i had dl'd
    Attached Files Attached Files

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy ModJPB's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default dream machine

Do you plan on overclocking?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

possibility some , but nothing to extreme

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes SneakySmilez's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

nice!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yeah, if you drop the PSU down to a proper range like I mentioned, then get a good, but properly priced, motherboard like the Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H. You should be able to throw the i7 4790K in there instead of the i5 4690K.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

updated the cpu and power supply, saved the m/b. want to have the choice to add a second video card later if i wanted

ty for the suggestion

also will that p/s run 2 video cards?

Don't find fault, find a remedy. -Henry Ford AOD Member AOD_Silencer77's Avatar
    Rank
    Corporal
    Division
    Floater
    Status
    On Leave

Lissa, two 970's instead of the 980. This coming from a guy who's company uses CUDA computing for real-time image analysis. The 980 is priced too high for what you get. We are swapping from 2x Titan Black Z's to 2 GTX 970s and significantly reducing our power requirements while maintaining nearly equal performance. You should do the same. We are reviewing the Titan X in a few weeks. Will know more about that then.

On the CPU - no reason in my mind to go beyond the 4770k. Saves you a little bit to buy a spinning disk as well for large storage. 850W PSU should run two 970's nicely.

P.S. Only buy EVGA cards...

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The Nvidia GTX 970 has issues, and is not as advertised; there's actually lawsuits over it now. I went with the GTX 980 myself, because BOTH the GTX 970 and the AMD 290X have issues; this whole tier of video cards are a problem. You said that you are running two 24 inch monitors, at what resolution? The problem with the GTX 970 is that even on current high end games with high settings is that it will choke and stutter beyond belief with just one monitor, and even at 1080p on some games. The more monitors you have the more memory is being consumed on the GPU. The GTX 970 is advertised as 4 GB, but it is really only 3.5 GB of usable gaming memory. A lot of people feel that this will present a huge problem within a year's time of game releases, making it not future proof at all; as a result, many people are selling their GTX 970s as fast as they can and buying GTX 980s.

The AMD 290X would be a decent alternative, IF it didn't have it's own issues as well; it runs extremely hot and consumes a calculated 2x the power of the GTX 970, thus requiring a larger psu.

To determine the wattage needed on a PSU, you need to calculate it, and consider future expansion. You also want to consider a capacitor aging of approximately 30%, and of course you want a psu that is a single 12V rail and modular. My calculations, without a traditional HDD and without Overclocking anything, come out to be 871W. Now, an 850W would probably be fine, but I would be a bit safer and go with a 900W; if you are planning on overclocking anything or adding HDDs, I would factor that in. A handy PSU calculator can be found here: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/p...ulatorlite.jsp. If you are not going to be overclocking, you can get 1600 MHz memory cheaper; I think I paid like $110 for my Cas Latency 9 1600 MHz memory.

If you are only going to be gaming on it, not heavy multitasking, encoding, etc, then you can stay with the i5 4690K and only see a couple fps drop, which can save you a decent bit of money that can be used for a HDD. Also, you should consider the 250 GB SSD unless you plan on installing and keeping a TON of games on the SSD at a given time. The general idea of a system like this is to disable the page file, indexing, searching, etc and install your general apps to a HDD, unless it's like Photoshop or something intense on load times; then you install your intense stuff and games to the SSD and get the max benefit out of it without wearing it out too quickly.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

thank you the heads up on the 970 cards, i had already been keeping and eye on that. thats why i went with the 980's. im running 1920x1080 on both monitors. with the SSD i went with to 500gb one because i do not want to have to worry about space for running programs. if i do build this computer i will at a later date install a 1 to 2 terabyte drive for music/video/ect. on the computer i have now i have a 120gb intel SSD and had a 1tb WD, when i first built it i had program file on both drives. about 2 years into its life the 1 tb crashed and that just really screwed things up, will not do that again.

Knee High to a Worms Ass Vexvoltage's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

My only tip is make sure you buy more than enough HDD space for movies and stuff you do not need the speed for and WD blacks are great for video editing still not as nice as an ssd.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

i agree, and wd blacks are my platter hd that i always use. it would be something i added later. and thank you for all the help.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

WD Blacks are pretty much the best drives you can buy right now. There's two different kinds though, I think. One with like a 3 year warranty and one with a 5 year warranty; you want the 5 year warranty on a HDD.