Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    World of Warcraft
    Status
    Active

Default Windows scripting

So a couple of semester ago I took a scripting class at my college and didn't do too well. I've never done any kind of coding or anything along these lines and the teacher didn't really teach the class too well either.
    I just didn't get a good understanding or grasp on scripting. In order for me to understand something, I need to know the How's, When's, Why's and What's of it in order to understand most things.
    I'm not dumb but I'm also not the most intelligent person on the block either.
    Do any of you guys have any scripting stuff that can help me to understand how to write scripts from scratch and actually know what the hell I'm doing?
    My teacher always said that coding and scripting follows logic but I just don't see it. I basically need a deeper level of understanding of it.

A Mighty Pirate!

Rank
    Master Sergeant
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

Depends on what language you're interested in learning, and more specifically what you want to accomplish. If you're interested in learning web development, a good place to start would be HTML / CSS or Javascript. If you're learning more towards desktop applications, then you might look into Java, C++, etc.

https://www.khanacademy.org/computin...ng/programming
    http://codeacademy.com

These are a few really good sites to help you grasp some of the finer concepts. If you decide web development is something you're interested in, feel free to ask questions here and myself and a few others can help you :)

** moved this thread to the mess hall **
    Last edited by AOD_Guybrush; 03-22-2015 at 05:12 PM.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    World of Warcraft
    Status
    Active

I'm talking more along the lines of .BAT files and general scripting within the windows OS. Using notepad++ to create scripts from scratch to automate certain tasks. I'm trying to get my CCNA cert but I want to learn scripting because I've been told that it's important for networking.

A Mighty Pirate!

Rank
    Master Sergeant
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You can use powershell for 99% of windows scripting and powershell script files "file.ps1" etc is just text file. I learned all i needed to for that just by searching the web.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! wonkenstein's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Batch files are a good place to start. Learning without a goal can be hard, try to think of a problem to solve then how to do it with a batch file. Powershell is very powerful. Here's a problem you might find interesting, get the BF4 optimization setting posted in the forums and write a script that modifies your current profile with the new values from the forums.

Start easy by taking a file with one new value and updating another file with a variable from that file. Then once you have that down expand it to run through a file and update multiple variables.