Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Scipio's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Learn C++ In 3 Weeks

Turns out three weeks after school ends I have an internship that uses C++, which wasn't really mentioned at all in the job description. I'm proficient with Java though, and at a cursory glance, they aren't too different. The hardest thing for me would be the syntax change. Are there any places where I can quickly grasp the syntax within three weeks?

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? GridNoDC's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

they are not that different just use w3school for the basics

A Mighty Pirate!
    Rank
    Master Sergeant
    Division
    Skull and Bones
    Status
    Active

http://www.learncpp.com/
    http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
    http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/c++-tutorial.html

I'm surprised you were able to nail down an internship involving c++ having not been told that in advance. You would think they might want to know you're proficient in it before expecting you to do something worthwhile or meaningful, or even before considering you for the position haha

Keep honking. I'm reloading Wolvenhaven's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Guybrush View Post
    http://www.learncpp.com/
    http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
    http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/c++-tutorial.html

I'm surprised you were able to nail down an internship involving c++ having not been told that in advance. You would think they might want to know you're proficient in it before expecting you to do something worthwhile or meaningful, or even before considering you for the position haha
    Most places hiring for entry/intern level don't really care what your previous languages are as they know you're going to have to learn a lot regardless. At that level they're looking for raw talent and potential, not experience and skill.

A Mighty Pirate!
    Rank
    Master Sergeant
    Division
    Skull and Bones
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Wolvenhaven View Post
    Most places hiring for entry/intern level don't really care what your previous languages are as they know you're going to have to learn a lot regardless. At that level they're looking for raw talent and potential, not experience and skill.
    I understand. At least in my neck of the woods (Raleigh research triangle) there's a minimum level of expertise expected, and if you aren't at least knowledgeable in the languages involved, you're not even in the running. Granted they don't expect full-fledged capability and a complete understanding, I just don't ever see someone getting hired to work in a language they have no previous experience in, even as an intern.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Vonarus's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The best thing you can do is grab a Deitel book and binge read it. Your biggest concern is going to be manual memory management, especially if it's a stone age company that hasn't upgraded to C++11. That being said, C++ is falling down a deep chasm, due to compiler and library support going to hell. You can't even get a working, up to standard, 64-bit compiler on Windows.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Scipio's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Alright thanks for all the suggestions! I was pretty surprised I was supposed to work in C++ since I made no mention of it at all in my resume. I have an old book (by old I mean published in 1988) where I can start with the basics. Then I'll move on to those that you guys suggested. Now the hard part is finding a compiler for Windows. I'm thinking Visual Studio (free for me), or VMing a Linux system

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Vonarus's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Visual Studio is pretty much the only reliable compiler for windows; and even then it's not up to standard.

Can I have your Tots Frostwolfe's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Scipio View Post
    Alright thanks for all the suggestions! I was pretty surprised I was supposed to work in C++ since I made no mention of it at all in my resume. I have an old book (by old I mean published in 1988) where I can start with the basics. Then I'll move on to those that you guys suggested. Now the hard part is finding a compiler for Windows. I'm thinking Visual Studio (free for me), or VMing a Linux system
    Visual studio is the way to go, it's unbeatable. It's also free for individuals. Most users in the forums, even linux devs, will give it up to the visual studio team.

Here's a thread on reddit from a similar user. I agree with the top post
    "Basically: If you know any OOP-language besides Java, I will assert that this language, no matter which one it is, is much closer to Java than C++. C++ has older, IMHO much more reasonable, semantics and idioms and as aguerooo said, the best thing to do is to treat it as something completely new."
    http://www.reddit.com/r/cpp/comments...rom_java_to_c/

Can I have your Tots Frostwolfe's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

(unbeatable in terms of on windows)

Life is effort and I'll stop when I die adeadhead's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

They're honestly stunningly simple. Without any additional education, you'd be able to read c++ code if you were familiar with java. A textbook for reference along with stack overflow and you'll be more than fine.