Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    "Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

DVI-A and DVI-D Are both compatible with DVI-I which is what most modern graphics cards have on them;

I'd prefer Indar, but alright.... SamTheKnight's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Rixxan View Post
    Does DVI-A need an adapter? or just DVI-D?
    DVI-A is for analog signals and CANNOT run a digital signal (DVI-D), and the reverse is also true, however a DVI-I can do both a digital and a analog (but requires the adapter to run VGA, on most video cables, VGA is the blue one (most being all that I've ever seen))
    (Read through this FAQ for some info on the difference)

Also, unless you are keeping the old computer around for some reason, you should be able to pull it's optical drive and hard drive and use them for the new comp. (which i why when i built my new comp I went with a SSD not a hybrid cause I was going to move the hard drives over, I did get a new optical for Blu-ray read/write, that was for personal preferences.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck Rixxan's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'm making a build from scratch, the current comp I run is a laptop. No parts can be salvaged.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_SamTheKnight View Post
    DVI-A is for analog signals and CANNOT run a digital signal (DVI-D), and the reverse is also true, however a DVI-I can do both a digital and a analog (but requires the adapter to run VGA, on most video cables, VGA is the blue one (most being all that I've ever seen))
    (Read through this FAQ for some info on the difference)

Also, unless you are keeping the old computer around for some reason, you should be able to pull it's optical drive and hard drive and use them for the new comp. (which i why when i built my new comp I went with a SSD not a hybrid cause I was going to move the hard drives over, I did get a new optical for Blu-ray read/write, that was for personal preferences.
    Thats a more detailed(better) explanation on my answer; Most modern cards have DVI-I, which like you said can run DVI-A/DVI-D, I may have read wrong, but why do you need a VGA/D-SUB --> DVI Adapter if you can just use a DVI-I Cable?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The laptops 2.5" HDD can be salvaged and put in any cases 3.5" drive cages w/ the included 2.5"--> 3.5" drive rails; I'd salvage it just to have an additional drive; even if its not fast or brand new: I try and keep all my parts from all te builds i Do that I dont use, They build up and I actually was able to build a PC for my parents using 2x2GB laptop SO-DIMM Memory sticks on a mITX board w/ SO-DIMM Memory slots (It was that Zotac board w/ the onboard Discrete GPU and WiFi) w/ a Laptop HDD; Just keeping any parts you can is always a good idea IMO-
    Last edited by Grady666; 05-04-2015 at 06:55 PM.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck Rixxan's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

A: Laptop is completely integrated (Dell Inspiron 14z Retired product)
    B: Gonna keep it on for schoolwork
    C: Might be able to salvage a small 150-160GB HD from an old laptop I have lying around?
    D: Gonna stick with the new montior I picked out unless anyone has any major reasons not to,
    E: I want chocolate,
    F: Any final critiques or comments on the build as it is thus far?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Grady666 View Post
    Thats a more detailed(better) explanation on my answer; Most modern cards have DVI-I, which like you said can run DVI-A/DVI-D, I may have read wrong, but why do you need a VGA/D-SUB --> DVI Adapter if you can just use a DVI-I Cable?
    Older monitors (like my tube) need the actual VGA cable, so i have to use the adapter to go from DVI-I to VGA (which a DVI-A slot could also do). I haven't heard of many cards with a DVI-A slot as most just use the DVI-I slot since can do both analog (A) and digital (D). Unless things have changed recently (haven't kept up with standard part builds since my comp is only ~1 year old) most cards have at least 1 DVI-I, 1 DVI-D and usually an HDMI

I was typing it out and editing for awhile XD your post wasn't up till after I posted (and consequently, refreshed) then I saw yours and just decided to leave it.

PS just to avoid any "HOW DARE YOU GAME ON A TUBE" monitor comments... my second monitor is a tube because it was sitting around, I do have an 1080p for my main

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Srry for the double, it will have been to long for me to edit the last one by the time i finish typing... But it looks good to me

don't forget to check cables... I know that usually the MOBO comes with a few SATA cables, but I needed more than it had (granted i have 2 optical drives and 3 hard drives... sooo yeah)

Also, do take the time to run the cables through the holes that are meant for it. It takes longer, but it keeps the inside less cluttered and can help keep air flowing nicely(the idea behind the air flow concept, think highway vs obstacle course, don't make the air take more twist and turns that it needs to to leave the case!). (plus you wont be publicly shamed if you post pics and your wires are a mess)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_SamTheKnight View Post
    Srry for the double, it will have been to long for me to edit the last one by the time i finish typing... But it looks good to me

don't forget to check cables... I know that usually the MOBO comes with a few SATA cables, but I needed more than it had (granted i have 2 optical drives and 3 hard drives... sooo yeah)

Also, do take the time to run the cables through the holes that are meant for it. It takes longer, but it keeps the inside less cluttered and can help keep air flowing nicely(the idea behind the air flow concept, think highway vs obstacle course, don't make the air take more twist and turns that it needs to to leave the case!). (plus you wont be publicly shamed if you post pics and your wires are a mess)
    YES; Cable management, especially in a budget build(It WILL be easier w/ the fully modular Rosewill photon PSU to manage cables, use ones you need, none you dont) is very important; I take just as much time building my pc,installing OS + drivers, and programs as I do doing cable management; It helps w/ System temperatures, Dust, lower temps over time = longer lifetime, better reliability, and looks :) Consider buying some Intake fan filters for any intakes, even if the case has included built-in ones, those arent easily removable and cleanable; I recommend the silverstone magnetic 120/140mm fan filters, their a little steep compared to most filters BUT: there quality is superb, their completely magnetic, w/ x4 screw slots, so you get the security of the magnet and if you need, the screws; the filter is very rigid and would be very hard to break the outer edge, the filter's mesh is also very good; its extremely fine. Also, there washable, so you can rinse them w/ water and dry them off and put them back on as needed; If you dont have but 2-3 intakes I think you should grab a few silverstone filters, if not silverstone, just get any removable fan filter above $3 each, the ones below that are just crap; better than nothing but Filters are re-usable, for years if taken care of-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12