Safari

Software
    Java 8.0.450
    Flash 16.0.0.296
    DirectX 11.0
    .NET 3.5.30729.4926
    QuickTime
    Adobe PDF Reader 10.1.3.23

I just copied my specs off of http://www.systemrequirementslab.com and all I know really is that this is NOT a custom PC and that I need a new Video Card. If you want to recommend something else then feel free! Thanks.

The Token Staff Sergeant Master Butters's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Sargent Horse View Post
    This quote is filled with stuff.
    If it's not a custom built PC, I'm assuming it's store bought? If so, do you even know if you CAN change the graphics card on it? I think you generally can, but I don't know for sure.

Also, what motherboard do you have? I'm not seeing anything relating to motherboards in your post.

"Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Sargent Horse View Post
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz
    Manufacturer Intel
    Speed 3.2 GHz
    Number of Cores 4
    CPU ID BFEBFBFF000306C3
    Family 06
    Model 3C
    Stepping 3

Video Card AMD Radeon R7 240
    Manufacturer ATI
    Chipset AMD Radeon R7 240
    Dedicated Memory 2.1 GB
    Total Memory 4.0 GB
    Pixel Shader Version 5.0
    Vertex Shader Version 5.0
    Hardware T & L Yes
    Vendor ID 1002
    Device ID 6611
    Plug and Play ID VEN_1002&DEV_6611&SUBSYS_85F11043&REV_00
    Driver Version 13.151.0.0

Memory 13 GB

Operating System Microsoft Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit
    Service Pack 0
    Size 64 Bit
    Edition Basic
    Version 6.2.9200
    Locale 0409

BIOS 0507
    Version American Megatrends Inc. 0507
    Manufacturer American Megatrends Inc.

Display Maximum Resolution 1920 x 1080

Sound Device 1 Logitech G930 Headset
    Driver Version 8.53.0.2

Sound Device 2 Realtek High Definition Audio
    Driver Version 6.0.1.7116

Sound Device 3 AMD High Definition Audio Device
    Driver Version 9.0.0.9902

DVD ASUS SH-224DB

CD ASUS SH-224DB

Drive 1
    Size 1.7 TB
    Free 1.7 TB

Drive 2
    Size 150.0 GB
    Free 34.3 GB

Browsers
    Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.17498
    Chrome 0.0
    Firefox
    Safari

Software
    Java 8.0.450
    Flash 16.0.0.296
    DirectX 11.0
    .NET 3.5.30729.4926
    QuickTime
    Adobe PDF Reader 10.1.3.23

I just copied my specs off of http://www.systemrequirementslab.com and all I know really is that this is NOT a custom PC and that I need a new Video Card. If you want to recommend something else then feel free! Thanks.
    Given you have an Intel Processor/CPU(Although it really doesn't matter) I'd personally recommend a GTX 960 (EVGA GTX 960 SSC ACX 2.0 2GB/4GB, ASUS STRIX GTX 960 2GB/4GB, Or a Gigabyte "Windforce 3X" GTX 960 2GB/4GB) I'd go w/ either the ASUS Strix 960 2GB Or EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB; Both are in the $200-$210 Range($209.99 on the EVGA last time i checked, I actually have and own a EVGA GTX 960 SSC ACX 2.0 2GB for BF4,Fable,Witcher, ETC It does great @ 1080p)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-913-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-091-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-770-_-Product

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Fishwithadeagle's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

A 290/290x can be had for under 300 now-a-days. I would recommend that, although you may have to upgrade your psu. That will run everything on ultra. Your cpu is fine. Nvidia will come at a premium for performance, but it is more apple-esque, whereas amd is more windows-esque if you know what I mean.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Sargent Horse's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Rainbow Dash View Post
    If it's not a custom built PC, I'm assuming it's store bought? If so, do you even know if you CAN change the graphics card on it? I think you generally can, but I don't know for sure.

Also, what motherboard do you have? I'm not seeing anything relating to motherboards in your post.
    How would you like me to go about finding out my comp model so I can tell you?

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I EpicBlob's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Personally, I'd spend the little bit of extra money and buy a GTX 970 or AMD equivalent (290). You will be set several years down the road and will have no buyers remorse. Coming from a guy who bought the 560, 660, 670, then finally decided to get a beefy card with the 970 several months ago and have no regrets.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck Marrv's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I would also recommend a 970 for being the best investment for performance vs cost.

As for Intel > AMD cpu gfx - it doesnt matter anymore so do not worry about that.

And if it is store brought, unless it is dell, then it can always be changed (the most they do is glue over the screw - with a knife & px2 you can still get it out). If it is a dell you need hex screwdriver - but still perfectly possible, have fixed enough dell laptops to know!

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_BritishBob's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

First things first, you need to find out what sort of power supply you have. You currently have a AMD Radeon R7 240, which requires no external power. You need to find out if your power supply has any extra connections as this is going to limit your upgrade choices.

Ignore all the posts above until you find this out. your PSU typically looks something like this:
    http://cdn.instructables.com/FLT/ZG2...PCT8.LARGE.jpg

And you're looking for loose wires, similar to the ones on the left of this PSU. Taking a photo and posting it of the type of spare connectors might be the easiest idea.

I've updated my privacy policy AOD Member AOD_Nozama's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

To further Bob's post a bit

http://www.enthusiastpc.net/articles/00002/3.aspx

For most new cards you'll need a 6 and an 8 pin connector off your PS, sometimes the 8 pin will be a 6 and a 2. regardless you'll need this type of connector for externally powering a video card such as the 290/980, in addition even if your PS has the connectors, you'll need to verify that is has the additional wattage headroom necessary for an upgraded card. Ideally you'll provide us with the PS and the MB info so we're able to help further.

http://www.howtogeek.com/208420/how-...ur-windows-pc/

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000800.htm

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I would suggest the GTX 970

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

All depends on how much money you want to spend. Start with a max number and go from there. As previously stated need to find out what kind of power supply you got and knowing what motherboard you have will tell us what kind of port you have for a video card so we know whats supported by your motherboard.

I would definitely recommend a GTX 970 as well.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Sargent Horse's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Motherboard
    Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    Model K30AD_M31AD_M51AD_M32AD (SOCKET 1150)
    Chipset Vendor Intel
    Chipset Model Haswell
    Chipset Revision 06
    Southbridge Vendor Intel
    Southbridge Model H81
    Southbridge Revision C2
    System Temperature 28 °C
    BIOS
    Brand American Megatrends Inc.
    Version 0507
    Date 4/2/2014
    Voltage
    +5V 5.040 V
    +3.3V 3.328 V
    +12V 12.288 V
    VIN3 0.128 V
    VIN4 0.256 V
    VCORE 1.760 V
    PCI Data
    Slot PCI-E
    Slot Type PCI-E
    Slot Usage In Use
    Data lanes x16
    Slot Designation PCIEX16_1
    Characteristics 3.3V, Shared, PME
    Slot Number 0
    Slot PCI-E
    Slot Type PCI-E
    Slot Usage Available
    Data lanes x1
    Slot Designation PCIEX1_1
    Slot Number 1
    Slot PCI-E
    Slot Type PCI-E
    Slot Usage Available
    Data lanes x1
    Slot Designation PCIEX1_2
    Slot Number 2

MOBO Info

500 Watt PSU

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I think your pc can handle a GTX 970. A good source for verification (http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...r-gtx-970.html)

GTX 970 cards http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...09%20600536049

average price is $349 US

I would go with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127832 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121899

Hope that helps

Foxtrot, Unicorn, Charlie, Kilo Neotoad's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_EpicBlob View Post
    Personally, I'd spend the little bit of extra money and buy a GTX 970 or AMD equivalent (290). You will be set several years down the road and will have no buyers remorse. Coming from a guy who bought the 560, 660, 670, then finally decided to get a beefy card with the 970 several months ago and have no regrets.
    Gonna second this. I have the 970 and its quite capable, and it should be good for a few years.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Scipio's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Definitely 970 for bang for your buck. You'd still have to check with compatibility though. For example, my generic HP desktop can't take a video card with dedicated power because of space and power requirements.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_neotoad View Post
    Gonna second this. I have the 970 and its quite capable, and it should be good for a few years.
    +3 | Your PC(which still I dont know if it is or isnt, but im guessing is) isn't custom built; and looking at the specifications again as I did in my first post, I doubt they put anything more than a 500W 80+ Gold PSU in it, If it is a Cyperpower,IBuyPower,AvaDirect, ETC(I dont think Origin PC, Maingear, Falcon Northwest even sell Desktop PC's starting within the price range of your System, Or at least Not w/ a 240; They are all extremely overpriced anyways, If you choose not to build your PC, you save more money buying from CyperPower or IBuyPower with a "Larger"/"Wider range of Systems" than Boutique builder like Origin or Maingear ); So I(personally) w/ your PC's current power supply would recommend again, any GTX 970 w/ 2 6Pin PCI-E Power connections, But mainly for the sole reason that its Power requirements and efficiency are excellent compared to AMD's. Although, by replacing your PSU/Power-supply you still *might* save $10 Compared to the 970 depending on what PSU you get and assuming you buy within the price range of $50-$70; For example the Sapphire R9 290 is $269.99($270) and the Cheapest GTX 970 is $330[EVGA Blower 970, Gigabyte ITX 970, ASUS Strix<---probably your best bet, ETC] and I couldn't find any 600W+ PSU's worth a damn that would provide the connectors and plenty of power for an r9 290(solid; IE: You CAN run the 290 on a "OK" 500W PSU, as long as you take into consideration the TDP and power usage of your other parts, which are all pretty low, AS WELL AS your any and all external devices: Keyboard,Mouse,Flash Drives,ETC) without breaking even on the difference of buying just a 970, or a r9 290 and a $75+ PSU; The combination I'd go for, If You do choose to go w/ AMD is the Rosewill Valens 500W 80+ Gold Certified [Non-Modular]($60) and the MSI R9 290($270) OR the Sapphire R9 290 4GB($270)-

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_BritishBob's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

I think your 500w PSU is going to struggle. You've probably got 420w-450w to safely play with and with the 90w CPU, mobo HDDs fans ect you looking 120w-200w leaving you 200w.

You also probably don't have the correct connectors on the cheap PSU they've used.

I would probably see if you can stretch for a decent PSU and then add something like a 660 or AMD R9 270 or 270x. Or buy second hand with a nVidia GTX 970 or a AMD 7970.

You'd have to take out the old PSU and all the old wire tho, not too sure how happy you'd be doing that.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_BritishBob View Post
    I think your 500w PSU is going to struggle. You've probably got 420w-450w to safely play with and with the 90w CPU, mobo HDDs fans ect you looking 120w-200w leaving you 200w.

You also probably don't have the correct connectors on the cheap PSU they've used.

I would probably see if you can stretch for a decent PSU and then add something like a 660 or AMD R9 270 or 270x. Or buy second hand with a nVidia GTX 970 or a AMD 7970.

You'd have to take out the old PSU and all the old wire tho, not too sure how happy you'd be doing that.
    You cannot mix a Nvidia GTX 970 w/ a AMD Radeon 7970(R9 270/270X) except for a few boards that have a chipset that supports it | also the Amount VRAM on the cards has to be of the same capacity | Also remember that scaling in CFX/SLI or Hybrid SLI/CFX is NOT linear and SLI/CFX'ing cards is often problematic, driver issues will be worse than they are on a single GPU, and Game support for just solely SLI/CFX isn't instant and even when it is implemented there are bugs; Also, a 660 is a pretty old card(in the world of PC Hardware, specifically GPU's), you can get a current generation 960 that will perform better, as well as consuming less power-

A Single 970 is often better than two SLI'ed 960's, not always in a performance sense, but w/ Drivers and Game support; One high-end card vs. two SLI/CFX Midrange cards is a *optional* rule of thumb when getting a Graphics card

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont know if he listed what his budget was, so its useless to speculate what hardware he should buy;

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

* = Unnecessary but useful info

Often PSU's have a nominal amount of overhead; Its effiency in its ability to not lose Voltage/Current in the conversion Analog-to-Digital(See below) process can make a HUGE Difference; This is one of the ways a PSU's 80+ Certificaton is determined; a 500W-600W 80+ Platinum PSU can handle the same amount of Devices/Hardware of a *ballpark estimate* 800W-850W[+/-] 80+ Bronze PSU; You'd be surprised at what a PSU can run IF it has the connections required;

*There is a misconception very often w/ PC Power supplys: They are NOT straight power from your 120v(US) AC Power jack- PC's do not function on a single voltage; 3.3V,5V,+12V & -12V Are the voltages the PSU breaks that 120v down to; Im not an electrical engineer so I dont know all about it but essentially they work like this: The 120v AC(Alternating Current) from the wall is put through a Analog-to-Digital Converter(ADC) in order to use convert that current(AC) into DC(Direct Current), which is the only type of Current that a PC can use.

I've updated my privacy policy AOD Member AOD_Nozama's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

While its true that you can't bridge ati to Nvidia, you can certainly use them as primary and secondary cards for dual monitors. They are considered separate pieces of hardware and you'd just need to install both driver sets. VRAM and speed can be different on Nvidia as long as both cards have the same gpu I.e. I can use a gtx 680 2gb with a gtx 680 4gb sc and the sc will clock speed down to the lower card. in addition gpu memory is not shared so a 2gb and a 4gb card will coexist just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."
    Plato

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Nozama View Post
    While its true that you can't bridge ati to Nvidia, you can certainly use them as primary and secondary cards for dual monitors. They are considered separate pieces of hardware and you'd just need to install both driver sets. VRAM and speed can be different on Nvidia as long as both cards have the same gpu I.e. I can use a gtx 680 2gb with a gtx 680 4gb sc and the sc will clock speed down to the lower card. in addition gpu memory is not shared so a 2gb and a 4gb card will coexist just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    For different/separate monitors, absolutely-

But for one monitor, One Graphics card, selected w/ specifications scaled based on the Monitors Resolution, is your best idea. Everyone is different though.

*AMD has even wider "compatibility/support" for mixing and matching Different Graphics cards for CFX, As long as the GPU is in the same "architectural" family(EX: Pitcairn CFX w/ Tahiti one with 3GB VRAM one with 2GB and Varying Clock speeds); Also with SLI(and CFX, Id assume), the lowest of the two GPU's Clock speed of two different Model, will , like you said reduce itself to match the other- I (personally) don't like that, nor do I like that in SLI/CFX The Amount of memory on each card isn't at least Shared, and its not doubled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast