Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat.. subadaga's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    54

    Geekout Thoughts about a mini ITX build

    Hey guys, I'm possibly getting a new computer; so I was thinking in building a mini ITX build this time.

    I'm thinking in building it with the following components:

    Case: Corsair 380T
    Motherboard: ASRock X99E-ITX/ac
    Processor: Core i7-5930K
    Video card: GTX 970 MSI 4G
    Power Supply: EVGA 750 W 80 plus Bronze
    Ram: Corsair 8gb DDR4 dominator platinum
    Drives: 120gb samsung SSD and 2tb seagate barracuda 7200RPM.

    So, is this build too much for a gaming PC? are ASRock products good? what are your general thoughts about this build?

    Considering as well, I have a maximum of 1800 USD to spend.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Knee High to a Worms Ass Dan_907's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    6

    Default

    If you will only be gaming on this PC than LGA2011 CPU is overkill and you will never use its full performance. Also you might have trouble with heat and you don't want a noisy PC. My recommendation is i5 4690k which is more than capable CPU for everything or if you really want an i7 go for 4790k (although more heat and you don't really need HT for games). Both of these need LGA 1150 socket and you have plenty of choice (I would go for MSI or Asus but go for whichever you like). Now you need some proper cooling, you could go for water coolers (check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjDJNwAANwA) or find a nice air cooler that will fit. Since you saved a lot of money on CPU and MBO you could buy more RAM (16 GB) and I would definitely recommend a bigger SSD (at least 256 GB, and stick with Samsung) but you decide if you need it. GPU depends on your budget and resolution you are playing at.
    Hope this helps and ask if you have some doubts.

  3. #3
    Keep honking. I'm reloading AOD Member AOD_Qrow's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    FL, USA
    Age
    25
    Posts
    380

    Default

    My favorite [by looks] mITX case although PSU is a factor : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

    A more practical case than ^ that I've seen has some nice options for setting a pc up :
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-033-_-Product

    ASrock is generally known for being "low end" I may suggest one of the more popular brands for component longevity and overall performance.

    Since working with hard drives daily [mainly old drives] I've noticed seagate tends to burn up in our arrays :P [burnt pcb / plastic stinks] . Western Digital has better drives IMO for performance and lifespan.

    Also you may want to look into an aftermarket cooling solution for your CPU, intel stock sucks all the way. Personally I recommend the corsair AIO's but there are some low profile air solutions.
    These cases are a tight space to work in. But you can make some magic happen.

    I also agree with that x99 platform being unnecessary and may produce too much waste for what you want, that cost about 1/3 of your build alone

  4. #4
    Knee High to a Worms Ass Catalyst42's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Belgium
    Age
    46
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Depending on size requirements, there is also the node 304 case http://www.fractal-design.com/home/p...node-304-black


    In the following I assume you won't be overclocking. If you want to overclock, you should look toward water cooling with such a small case.

    CPU:
    Same as said above, for just gaming I'd go for an i5 or at last a "cheap" i7. If you don't plan to overclock, you can skip the K models, cutting money there too (depends on your local market).
    Cores don't play that much of a role in games. Above 4, it shouldn't be felt at all, the difference between 4 and 8 is actually never felt in any application except for rendering/encoding and servers etc.
    An i7 4790 should be plenty for gaming.

    MDB: For the motherboard you usually don't need the fancy chipsets, most of the time the difference is about the latest usb, raid and overclocking capabilities.

    Usb is debatable but raid and overclocking shouldn't be a priority for a miniITX. A Z97 should be plenty enough.

    I go with Asus motherboards.

    As said above, cut a bit on motherboard and cpu and put it into 16gb of ram, a good CPU cooler and a bigger ssd.

    CPU cooler:
    In my experience, Noctua strikes a good balance between silence and cooling power.

    The case linked above should be able to accommodate some of the big desktop coolers.

    VIDCARD: The 970 seems to be a good deal if you play at 1080p, for higher res, it might be a bit short. I was looking into one recently and the asus stryx came up, mainly because it seems very silent.

    STORAGE: You'll definitely be annoyed with a 128Gb disc, aim for 256 or even 512Go. Samsung EVO 850 (cheaper, a bit slower) or Sandisk extreme pro.
    You want windows, all apps and all games on the ssd. Trust me, 128Gb could be fine for an htpc, or an MS office machine, not much else.

    Hope it helps and hi btw, my first post :)


    Cat

  5. #5
    Keep honking. I'm reloading AOD Member AOD_Qrow's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    FL, USA
    Age
    25
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catalyst42 View Post
    Depending on size requirements, there is also the node 304 case http://www.fractal-design.com/home/p...node-304-black


    In the following I assume you won't be overclocking. If you want to overclock, you should look toward water cooling with such a small case.

    CPU:
    Same as said above, for just gaming I'd go for an i5 or at last a "cheap" i7. If you don't plan to overclock, you can skip the K models, cutting money there too (depends on your local market).
    Cores don't play that much of a role in games. Above 4, it shouldn't be felt at all, the difference between 4 and 8 is actually never felt in any application except for rendering/encoding and servers etc.
    An i7 4790 should be plenty for gaming.

    MDB: For the motherboard you usually don't need the fancy chipsets, most of the time the difference is about the latest usb, raid and overclocking capabilities.

    Usb is debatable but raid and overclocking shouldn't be a priority for a miniITX. A Z97 should be plenty enough.

    I go with Asus motherboards.

    As said above, cut a bit on motherboard and cpu and put it into 16gb of ram, a good CPU cooler and a bigger ssd.

    CPU cooler:
    In my experience, Noctua strikes a good balance between silence and cooling power.

    The case linked above should be able to accommodate some of the big desktop coolers.

    VIDCARD: The 970 seems to be a good deal if you play at 1080p, for higher res, it might be a bit short. I was looking into one recently and the asus stryx came up, mainly because it seems very silent.

    STORAGE: You'll definitely be annoyed with a 128Gb disc, aim for 256 or even 512Go. Samsung EVO 850 (cheaper, a bit slower) or Sandisk extreme pro.
    You want windows, all apps and all games on the ssd. Trust me, 128Gb could be fine for an htpc, or an MS office machine, not much else.

    Hope it helps and hi btw, my first post :)


    Cat
    OH yes, the node 304! That's the case. Not the corsair one I posted. That thing is beast, can't believe i didn't remember since mine is a define R5 from the same company.
    Agree with the storage too, 128's get eaten fast unless you only plan to keep your main os + 1 or 2 games. They're getting bigger every year.

  6. #6
    "Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 AOD Member AOD_Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Specialist
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    US
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Qrow View Post
    OH yes, the node 304! That's the case. Not the corsair one I posted. That thing is beast, can't believe i didn't remember since mine is a define R5 from the same company.
    Agree with the storage too, 128's get eaten fast unless you only plan to keep your main os + 1 or 2 games. They're getting bigger every year.
    A few other great mITX Cases:

    - Corsair Obsidian 250D mITX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-033-_-Product

    - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mITX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811854016

    - Silverstone Sugo SG13 mITX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811163274 (Its price is deceiving; Its very barebones, but its a great case, if you are a cable management geek like me you can make it look great, also, LinusTechTips did a review of the case and was able to fit a full system w/ a X99 mITX MB + 16 Core 32 Thread $4000 Xeon CPU + Heatsink, x1 TitanX Black, x1 Corsair H80i GTX, x2 2.5" SSD's, LOL)

  7. #7
    It is bad luck to be superstitious. AOD Member AOD_Darkn3ss F4lls's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Elite: Dangerous
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Syracuse
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,733

    Default

    Built one this winter and I have not regretted it yet I can link my rig if you would like. Need to update video card in a while though it's a couple years old now

    Steam - Origin - UPlay - YOUTUBE -TWITCH
    *RANDOM SIGNATURE IMAGE TO COME*
    AOD4Life - Have Questions About AOD? Ask me! - Support the Clan!

  8. #8
    "Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 AOD Member AOD_Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Specialist
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    US
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_subadaga View Post
    Hey guys, I'm possibly getting a new computer; so I was thinking in building a mini ITX build this time.

    I'm thinking in building it with the following components:

    Case: Corsair 380T
    Motherboard: ASRock X99E-ITX/ac
    Processor: Core i7-5930K
    Video card: GTX 970 MSI 4G
    Power Supply: EVGA 750 W 80 plus Bronze
    Ram: Corsair 8gb DDR4 dominator platinum
    Drives: 120gb samsung SSD and 2tb seagate barracuda 7200RPM.

    So, is this build too much for a gaming PC? are ASRock products good? what are your general thoughts about this build?

    Considering as well, I have a maximum of 1800 USD to spend.

    Thanks!
    Hey do you have Teamspeak? Im assuming you do since your AOD :P, I dont want to spend 2 hours writing a post I was about to do, I wanted to ask you a few things about your build and maybe make a few recommendations, if you dont mind?

  9. #9
    I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat.. subadaga's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Grady666 View Post
    Hey do you have Teamspeak? Im assuming you do since your AOD :P, I dont want to spend 2 hours writing a post I was about to do, I wanted to ask you a few things about your build and maybe make a few recommendations, if you dont mind?
    Sure!

  10. #10
    "Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 AOD Member AOD_Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Specialist
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    US
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_subadaga View Post
    Sure!
    PM Me when you get on TS, and Stick in the lobby and we can move to a private/separate channel to chat :)


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin By: ForumThemes.com
Top