Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Jayson201's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Random VRAM Corruption?

It's not letting me post a picture for some reason, so I cant show you what it looks like at the moment, buuuut every so often. like just this second... My primary monitor does this thing where it's a black background with a crap ton of variously colored lines. just a second ago, they were green.

What's strange, is it's seemingly happening for no reason, and it's happened with both my 250x and my R9 280. My 250x I had hypothesized that MAYBE that's why it was listed as a refurb, but a restart always fixed it for a while.

Doesn't happen during gaming, just watching youtube at the moment. Now, my 280 is doing it and it's bugging me because it's NOT overheating, it's not being overused and i set it to my underclocked preset to be sure it has nothing to do with clock speeds. (Core clock at min, 485, and mem clock at min, 625.)

My specs are as follows

FX-6300 OC'd to 3.8 with turbo set to 4.4 (just derping around with settings this week, pretty stable at stock voltages)
    MSI R9 280 GAMING, usually set to its stock OC profile of 1000mhz
    8GB KVR 1600mhz
    Asus M5a97 LE R2.0
    750w EVGA SuperNOVA G2

pretty sure the amd drivers are up to date, barring the beta i wish not to participate in.

Plenty of yall are smarter than me, with more experience, in this field. I would appreciate any enlightenment,
    thanks for your time

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Dennistein's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

This happened to me too but it dissapeard after a while when its appearing just change the memory clock and the core clock by 20-30 mhz
    that worked for me

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Jayson201's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yeah, it appeared to fix itself whenever the core clock changed itself. Sometimes it'll spike up to 1000 for whatever dumb reason, and go right back to 500. Just had to wait.
    Didn't do it when I had it set to my underclock preset. I assume it's an AMD issue, but that being said last I had nVidia is was onboard graphics on a 2005 Gateway pc, so it's not like I know what nVidia is like.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Are you able to run a linux live disk? http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

Boot into ubuntu and then use the PC for as much time as it usually takes for the display issue to happen. This is to rule out any other software issues, (e.g., the current latest nvidia drivers are causing black screen issues, and TDR/ driver crashes for people some users with the GTX 970)

Also run GPUz http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...-gpu-z-v0-8-3/

Once you launch it, click on the green icon in the upper left hand corner of the window, then click on read ASIC quality

This will give us a better idea of if the GPU has a very low ASCI quality, and is simply unstable at whatever voltage the bios picks for the idle clock speed. (common for cards in the 60-70% range) You can often fix it by adjusting the voltage table in the bios, and then reflash the bios, but it is far better to RMA the card in order to possibly get a better one.