Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AOD Member AOD_Slasher's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Default Is Windows 8.1 upgrade worth it for BF4?

I have an extra copy of Windows 8.1 that I received through work and I am considering if I should upgrade my current OS (Windows 7) for better Battlefield 4 performance. Has any noticed benefits from upgrading?

Liquor? I hardly even know her! AOD Member AOD_tboose7's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Blizzard Universe
    Status
    Active

I'm running 7. I've heard some nasty things about 8.1 but I dunno if they are true

Save the whales. Collect the whole set Odepane's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Keep 7, you will be happier!! Upgrade to Windows 10 (which is awesomeness) when it is released. 8/8.1 should have never been released....

Did you just grab my ass?
    Rank
    Master Sergeant
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Happier with 8.1 and running windows classic shell. 8.1 gets the same bad rep that previous versions received, but unnecessarily so.

It's kinda like being in the Army. The previous post you came from was "the shit", the post you are currently at "IS shit", and that next place to go to will be "free of all the bull shit."

It's all bullshit. You just render reality differently. Use the most updated OS, especially if you have a free one.

Save the whales. Collect the whole set Odepane's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

July 29 release date for Windows 10, which will be a free upgrade for your Windows 7 machine. I wouldn't waste my time on 8.1 for 5 weeks. Of course, that is just my opinion... :)

Did you just grab my ass?
    Rank
    Master Sergeant
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

This can easily be one of those trolly-nerdy threads, but I think, for me, the answer is pretty simple.

8.1 works now, and just about all software and hardware most people have or are currently purchasing is meant or driver-optimized for 8.1, not 10. 10 might sing and do backflips, but I'd expect a number of compatibility issues for several months afterward. 8 is not losing support, and it is more stable than 7.

If the option is 7 --> Free 8.1, or 7 --> Free 10 in a month, I'd go with 8.1 because of the known. There is no reason to stay on 7 if you have a free copy of 8.1 in your hand. Even for a day. If 10 ends up saving the cheerleader, and thus, the world, then switch to 10. But not installing it and waiting for something better to come along (while you have it for free in-hand), in my opinion, is kinda silly. Install 8.1 and immediately install windows classic shell and wait to see what 10 brings you. If you hate it, revert.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AOD Member AOD_Slasher's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Thanks for the advice. Given that Windows 10 will be out shortly, I might just wait and see how things pan out before upgrading to 8.1 or 10.