Danneskjold Repossessions. AOD Member AOD_Danneskjold's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Default Ex-Flight Modeler working up in Canada...

So one of the ex-flight modelers, who I became very good friends with, basically used his experience making WT FM's to develop real world tools for performance recording for planes.

And the guys up at Vintage Wings Canada, took notice. So they flew him up to work for a few weeks.

He took this video of the Spitfire Mark 16 that was recently restored, starting up, and taking off. Watch at full volume, if you dare...

One of his biggest complaints about WT isn't the flight models, but the fact that even from 50 yards, the sound the Spitfire is giving off is terrifying. Imagine actually sitting in the cockpit with an 1800 HP engine 2 feet in front of you.

I'll see if I can get him to do an album so we can see all the pictures.
    Last edited by AOD_Danneskjold; 06-25-2015 at 05:50 PM.

Save the whales. Collect the whole set SKY_SAMURAI's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thank you for the videos Dannes, there will be a Air Show about an hour away from where I live in September hosted by the Vintage Wings Canada, hopefully I will get to see it in person. BTW miss flying with you, Wedge and Navy.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Mark_Nutt's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Oh baby.... that sound.

Eargasm.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! AputheCleaner's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

for 70+ yrs ago ... 11.5 mins for warm up & takeoff, is not bad in my book. Prob a bit less if he didn't have to wait for other craft. Still wouldn't of wanted to be on an airfield, incoming sirens blaring, thinking 11.5 mins is bollocks!!!

If you ain't makin' waves, you ain't kickin' hard enough! BoomBoomStick's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_AputheCleaner View Post
    for 70+ yrs ago ... 11.5 mins for warm up & takeoff, is not bad in my book. Prob a bit less if he didn't have to wait for other craft. Still wouldn't of wanted to be on an airfield, incoming sirens blaring, thinking 11.5 mins is bollocks!!!
    I dont think they needed 11 min in WWII

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_BoomBoomStick View Post
    I dont think they needed 11 min in WWII
    You'd be surprised at how long it would take. For example, just turning on the Corsair is a 18 step process, with several of the steps forcing you to wait for something like the Starter to warmup, or the oil pressure start to rise. And that's not counting the warmup, where you need to wait for the oil temperature to reach 60 degrees celsius before you do anything.

If you're in a "Scramble Takeoff", you can wait til the temperature hits 40 degrees celsius, however there is a significant chance the engine will stop outright, or be unable to hit full power during the flight.

New video:

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Cool stuff. Doesn't the camera operator know how to use a zoom lens? Would'a helped.

"Every day is a beautiful day" Elwood P. Dowd AOD Member AOD_PapaPnut's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    World of Warships
    Status
    Active

Really cool Dannes.....was rather surprised at the slow rate of ascent after takeoff. Guess he didn;t install the F16 Afterburner mod.....

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_PapaPnut View Post
    Really cool Dannes.....was rather surprised at the slow rate of ascent after takeoff. Guess he didn;t install the F16 Afterburner mod.....
    Ha! What most people in Flight Sims don't realize is that, even in war time, the planes hardly ever went to max throttle. In real life, if you used your P-51 the same way you did in War Thunder, i.e. climbing and flying at WEP all the time, the flight engineer would have to do an overhaul that could take 20, 30, or even 40 hours to complete after every flight. If you did that several times, the crew chief may just take you into a back alley and whoop you good.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    World of Warships
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Danneskjold View Post
    Ha! What most people in Flight Sims don't realize is that, even in war time, the planes hardly ever went to max throttle. In real life, if you used your P-51 the same way you did in War Thunder, i.e. climbing and flying at WEP all the time, the flight engineer would have to do an overhaul that could take 20, 30, or even 40 hours to complete after every flight. If you did that several times, the crew chief may just take you into a back alley and whoop you good.
    Just like most (all) sim-racers don't drive like they own the car or work for someone who does. Crash into the wall and demolish the car..no problem just hit escape and start over.... I race mostly F1 leagues where minimizing race incidents is the measure of success. At $2.6 million each, you don't crash too many real F1 cars before you're out of a job and selling hot dogs in the stands.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_PapaPnut View Post
    Just like most (all) sim-racers don't drive like they own the car or work for someone who does. Crash into the wall and demolish the car..no problem just hit escape and start over.... I race mostly F1 leagues where minimizing race incidents is the measure of success. At $2.6 million each, you don't crash too many real F1 cars before you're out of a job and selling hot dogs in the stands.
    That is one aspect of PCars that is missing. I.E. Wrecking your car will cost you time and effort. But the positives of having everything opened up (slightly) outweighs it.

Anyway, the Ex-Flight Modeler put up an image gallery:

http://imgur.com/a/LkVDH

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    World of Warships
    Status
    Active

Wow......very very cool. Thanks a zillion for the link!

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Another video:

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! deatheagle14's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

All these videos are so cool! It's awesome to see them takeoff irl!

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Smackmaster's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Very cool, thanks for posting. Here is a link to the warplane museum where I live. The Lancaster flies over the city all the time. You definitely hear it before you see it.

http://www.warplane.com/

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Pegleglarry's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks for sharing. Very cool.