Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_Vial8R's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Default Windows update restart loop

I recently ran a few new 'optional' Windows Updates. After I restarted my computer for them, it decided it wanted to have the wonderful update restart loop. It shows the loading screen for just a second then restarts. It does not show the repair install option from the F8 startup, but if I use an install USB drive it lets me run the repair. The first time I ran it with a repair, but it didn't fix anything. Since then, it just says it can't run the repair cycle.

I have tried Hiren's Boot CD, but that hasn't helped either. The restart loop is apparently nothing new from bad updates, but what's the fix besides doing a reinstall? Apparently I deleted my backup recently and hadn't ran it again before this. I also had restore points turned off to help with my SSD.

I can start a command prompt from the advanced boot options on the install disk, but don't know what to run to remove the updates. Nor do I remember exactly which ones they were.

Help! My stats in hardline was top 9% worldwide before this and I will not hear the end of it from my wife if I drop too low...

Sent from my Moto X to your screen via the magic of the internet.
    Let me know if you need anything and I will do my best to help or find someone for you.
    Panzerbuchse Leaderboard Current Ryzen 7 Gaming Rig: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/jDrV3C

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! CookiezFort's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Can you boot into safe mode?

If you can, try and run an anti-virus and malwarebytes to try and fix the problem. If that doesn't work get a windows ISO from the internet from another pc or laptop, put it on a usb stick and then boot with it to either repair windows from your now bootable USB or if that doesn't work completely format your drive and re-install windows

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Can't boot into safe mode. I have a install USB already, but using that to try the repair cycle doesn't work. It's not a malware issue. Microsoft has released a few updates last few months that have caused computers to get stuck in reboot loops.

Let me know if you need anything and I will do my best to help or find someone for you.
    Panzerbuchse Leaderboard Current Ryzen 7 Gaming Rig: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/jDrV3C

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Did a backup of my ssd boot drive, user partition and install partition. Doing a clean install on my SSD now, haven't decided yet if I'm going to try to edit the backup file to remove the registry entries for the latest Windows Updates and then do a restore and see if that works or just say screw it and reinstall everything. Either way I'm really not happy with Microsoft right now.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

So, I have everything more or less reinstalled. Still have settings to change and things to tweak, but for the most part everything is back up and running. I was even able to play BF4 with moderately high settings without it killing my computer again. Hate to say it, but I think I had gotten used to playing with the CPU hiccups and lag, was not doing well at all.

Downside is the new G710 keyboard I got was only able to be used for 2 rounds of Bounty Hunter before my wife complained about the mechanical keys being too loud and told me I had to switch back to my G510.

Biggest problem is the Battlefront closed alpha freezes my computer instantly when I try to launch it. They did say they wanted quad core processor's and I only have a dual, but it's a pretty fast dual core. Figure they let me in just to see if it would launch or not.