Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Geekout Question for everyone

For one of my coming classes I get a drone from the college and I had an interesting idea.

I've heard of a drone with a camera that allows it to follow you around in different modes.

What i want to do:
    1. Get a GPS device (small and cheap if there is such a thing) that can broadcast its signal.
    2. Attach a small raspberry pi to the drone that i can embed code in to make it follow me around.

What i need:
    1. That small device that can broadcast its location over a signal or something of the sort (as to wear as a watch or stuff in a backpack or pocket and maybe attach to a mountain bike or something but I don't know of such a device.

Does anyone know of where I can get or find one? I've been googling but to no avail I haven't found anything.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Mokona512's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Seems like something that would require a software developer to write a smartphone application that will use its GPS in order to tell the drone where to fly in order to remain aimed at you.

Then to keep someone centered in the drone's view, someone would have to develop something that will probably look for a blinking IR LED on the the person being recorded (kinda like how the wiimote tracks the IR LEDs in the bar that gets placed on the TV.

Other than that, you will pretty much be copying a device like this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...ou-around.html

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Scipio's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I don't think GPS would be very effective for this use. The accuracy of commercial GPS units are around 10-20 feet with a signal delay, which wouldn't be very effective or safe for a drone that close to you. Like what Mokona said an IR or radio beacon or something like that might be better suited for this.