Thread: Joy stick help

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Protip Joy stick help

Most of you may have noticed that I have been spending a lot of time in the quiet room.
    I have been practicing with my joy stick. I've got the settings down pretty good at least as far as flying.
    I can do all of the usual maneuvers like split S and immelmans , flat turns, hammerheads, etc. but I'm still having
    problems aiming and shooting straight.
    If anyone has any suggestions on how to aim with a stick, please let me know.
    I'm getting pretty disgusted with arcade and would very much like to make the move to RB & SIM with a stick and cockpit view.
    Thanx in advance

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Look for your current joystick in the setup and see if its on the list, if it is then it sets up he basic controls for you, but you need to 'tune' some things when you do that.

Aiming on the other hand? That's just luck to me.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! deatheagle14's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I've always wanted to get a joystick but I don't have the money for one right now. I hope you get it figured out and maybe when I get one you can help me learn to use it! :D

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_deatheagle14 View Post
    I've always wanted to get a joystick but I don't have the money for one right now. I hope you get it figured out and maybe when I get one you can help me learn to use it! :D
    Extreme 3D Pro is a good one!

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! deatheagle14's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Ok. Thank you for the reference cause I didn't know which ones were the best.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_NavyAv8r View Post
    Extreme 3D Pro is a good one!
    That's the one I have. It was only $30.00 at Best Buy and is easy to use.
    I am getting pretty good at flying and landing in cockpit view. It is just hard as hell to shoot anything. :D

Save the whales. Collect the whole set spanakis's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

To use the potentials of a joystick you need to play Sim or at least RB, its a nightmare in arcade

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Tenex2's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I use the Logitech 3D Pro aswell and I had some trouble lining upp my shots until I got my settings right(for me atleast), then it felt much easier. I basically have a 100% Sensitivity on the roll with 1 to 1 scaling and a slight scaling on the pitch with about 50 % sensitivity :)
    Also having a negative trim on the pitch while aiming is really helpful :)

Danneskjold Repossessions. AOD Member AOD_Danneskjold's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Tenex2 View Post
    I use the Logitech 3D Pro aswell and I had some trouble lining upp my shots until I got my settings right(for me atleast), then it felt much easier. I basically have a 100% Sensitivity on the roll with 1 to 1 scaling and a slight scaling on the pitch with about 50 % sensitivity :)
    Curves, curves, curves. You gotta set up your curves. That way you can make fine movements on the joystick and get even finer control in game.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Danneskjold View Post
    Curves, curves, curves. You gotta set up your curves. That way you can make fine movements on the joystick and get even finer control in game.

Thanks guys. I would like to try these adjustments, but you are using terminology that is not in the settings.
    What do you mean by scaling and trim? The only trim is the one in full real for trimming the elevator and rudder.

Dannes, what do you mean by curves.? There is no such adjustment.

A little more detail would be nice, Thanx...............

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Tenex2's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

What I was referring to by "scaling" is the "nonlinearity" in the settings menu :) It basically gives you a "curve" to your joystick input. The curve is such that a small movement on the joystick, from center, is interpreted even smaller ingame. This makes for easier aiming with not so hasty moves. When you move your stick even further it begins to amplify the input instead, so that you don't lose your maneuverability :)
    I'm not the best guy to explain this and I'm sure there are other members who can help you aswell, but a tip is to look on youtube for visuals of all the settings :)

When I mentioned "trim" I did mean the thing you thought of in the Full Real mode. I assume that one flies Full Real with joystick and Arcade/Realistic with mouse :P It's ofcourse possible to use it the other way around but then I guess you give the opponent the upper hand.

Danneskjold was talking about curves and I believe he means setting up a personal curve with software that acts between the joystick and the computer :) I might be wrong on this and I also want further information :) Danne!

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

What I was referring to by "scaling" is the "nonlinearity" in the settings menu :) It basically gives you a "curve" to your joystick input. The curve is such that a small movement on the joystick, from center, is interpreted even smaller ingame. This makes for easier aiming with not so hasty moves. When you move your stick even further it begins to amplify the input instead, so that you don't lose your maneuverability :)
    I'm not the best guy to explain this and I'm sure there are other members who can help you aswell, but a tip is to look on youtube for visuals of all the settings :)

When I mentioned "trim" I did mean the thing you thought of in the Full Real mode. I assume that one flies Full Real with joystick and Arcade/Realistic with mouse :P It's ofcourse possible to use it the other way around but then I guess you give the opponent the upper hand.

Danneskjold was talking about curves and I believe he means setting up a personal curve with software that acts between the joystick and the computer :) I might be wrong on this and I also want further information :) Danne!
    Every single simulator in the world calls them Curves. Except War Thunder. For the life of me, I couldn't remember what War Thunder called it, and it is "Non-Linearity."

You can actually manually adjust your WT Curves (Non-linearity), but you need to directly modify your controls cfg file. Otherwise 1.7 -> 2.0 is what everyone usually uses.
    Last edited by AOD_Danneskjold; 07-10-2015 at 05:54 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Danneskjold View Post
    Every single simulator in the world calls them Curves. Except War Thunder. For the life of me, I couldn't remember what War Thunder called it, and it is "Non-Linearity."

You can actually manually adjust your WT Curves (Non-linearity), but you need to directly modify your controls cfg file. Otherwise 1.7 -> 2.0 is what everyone usually uses.
    Thanx guys.
    I figured that non-lin was what you meant. I have been tweaking it and sensitivity and it's getting better but still a work in progress.
    I can sometimes hit stationary GT's but aircraft are a whole nuther animal. The one thing I have noticed is that I may need to make
    separate settings for each plane as the FM's are different for different planes. It's gonna take more practice and and control tweaking.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_rayrayblues View Post
    Thanx guys.
    I figured that non-lin was what you meant. I have been tweaking it and sensitivity and it's getting better but still a work in progress.
    I can sometimes hit stationary GT's but aircraft are a whole nuther animal. The one thing I have noticed is that I may need to make
    separate settings for each plane as the FM's are different for different planes. It's gonna take more practice and and control tweaking.
    Some people like to have different settings for each plane, but in my opinion, that is the wrong way to do it. While you can successfully do it, ultimately it becomes a shit load to track, and if you forget to change something when you switch planes, you're doubly humped.

Your ultimate goal should be having 1 setup for everything, and learning how to fly the differences of each plane yourself by feel and by memory.

Can I have your Tots Srslywtfcl4p's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I got a stick not long ago too, and have the same problems. flying is okay. aiming is horrible.