I'll be your father figure. We can go outside and you can catch these hands. AOD Member AOD_Atriarc's Avatar
    Rank
    Corporal
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

Default GTX 980 ACX 2.0 TDR w/ & w/o hard lock

Been randomly getting TDRs with and without hard locks when doing things on my computer. It seems more so when the card is under load, regardless of how heavy the load is. However, a heavy load does seem to cause more frequent TDRs. Everything I've looked up seems to point at poo poo drivers. I'm looking to see if there is a fix before I try and swap it for an AMD replacement.

System Specs
    -
    Operating System: Windows 7
    Motherboard: MSI MS-7693
    Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0
    Graphics Driver: 535.30
    Sound Card: HTO Striker 7.1
    Processor: AMD FX-8150 (~3.6Ghz)

Don't find fault, find a remedy. -Henry Ford AOD Member AOD_Silencer77's Avatar
    Rank
    Corporal
    Division
    Floater
    Status
    On Leave

TDR?

Look for temperature and power issues as well.

AMD - not ideal in my personal opinion. The company is hurting in a large way while NVIDIA is delving into deep learning with CUDA. Don't waste your money on AMD. - my advice.

I'll be your father figure. We can go outside and you can catch these hands. AOD Member AOD_Atriarc's Avatar
    Rank
    Corporal
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

Timeout Detection & Recovery. I usually have had zero issues with nVidia GPUs. This is a first for me which is why I'm so confused.

Rank
    Corporal
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

Just got done running FurMark and OC Scanner X both on the highest settings I could get them to. GPU temp was never over 76 Degrees and Power Consumption stayed right aroung 98% according to OC Scanner X. It's seeming more and more like a driver issue than hardware defect/failure. I know PS2 has TDR'ed 3-4 times today. 2 of which required a hard reboot of the system to recover from. GTAV will randomly crash the actual driver when I play it.

Don't find fault, find a remedy. -Henry Ford AOD Member AOD_Silencer77's Avatar
    Rank
    Corporal
    Division
    Floater
    Status
    On Leave

Very possibly a driver challenge. Also bear in mind that you could have gotten a bad card or perhaps it's CPU related. PS2 is heavy CPU, not certain of GTAV.

Try to burn in each major component. Prime 95 on CPU overight, Futuremark Burnin on card overnight, etc.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Massa191's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If you can, check the power output of your psu on the 8/6 pins. It could be dipping below what is needed to have the card going at full steam. However bad card can be the issue. Only one bad cap can ruin the day :)

Rank
    Corporal
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

It seems since I installed the EVGA specific monitoring/control software the problem has stopped. I'll give it a couple more days before I probe further. Thanks for the advice and information. Will update further!

Rank
    Corporal
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

Still getting the issue randomly. Some days it works perfectly, some days it doesn't. Had a lot of HDD and SSD issues before all of this and am running on an older HDD now. Ordered pretty much new everything outside of a CPU as AMD hasn't pushed very many new CPUs out. That will make everything in my rig new except the CPU. More to come.