Ok, so i've got my 17 4790k mounted on an ASUS ROG Hero VII mobo with H100i water cooling. I've noticed recently my temps have been creeping higher. This all came to a head when rendering Sony Vegas and PC crashed.

Idle: 41c
50% load: 60c
100% load (prime 95): instant 92c + BSOD

On build my temps were really low and stayed low. After googling the problem i found many people have this issue.

I've build many PC's so not a total noob. Yes, i've used top quality Thermal paste (arctic silver 5), cleaned off with coffee filter, small pea size dot in center etc.

However research has brought up that the fitting plate on the H100i does not sit tight enough on the back of the mobo. I did notice this when building but assumed it tightens up when fully fitted. Turns out it does not. The H100i pump DOES NOT secure tightly enough to the CPU chip. There is a cheap and easy work around found here:

Cost me £1 (around 60 cents) for 4 small rubber washers found in the plumbing section at my local hardware store (B&Q).

Temps now

Idle: 31c
50% load: 45c
100% load: (prime 95): 72c

Anyone with this build config, i urge you to conduct this mod. Any questions PM me