Which button is shoot again.....? AOD Member AOD_Mickgoth's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Trivia I7 4790K with Corsair H100i problem (fix)

Ok, so i've got my 17 4790k mounted on an ASUS ROG Hero VII mobo with H100i water cooling. I've noticed recently my temps have been creeping higher. This all came to a head when rendering Sony Vegas and PC crashed.

Idle: 41c
    50% load: 60c
    100% load (prime 95): instant 92c + BSOD

On build my temps were really low and stayed low. After googling the problem i found many people have this issue.

I've build many PC's so not a total noob. Yes, i've used top quality Thermal paste (arctic silver 5), cleaned off with coffee filter, small pea size dot in center etc.

However research has brought up that the fitting plate on the H100i does not sit tight enough on the back of the mobo. I did notice this when building but assumed it tightens up when fully fitted. Turns out it does not. The H100i pump DOES NOT secure tightly enough to the CPU chip. There is a cheap and easy work around found here:

Cost me £1 (around 60 cents) for 4 small rubber washers found in the plumbing section at my local hardware store (B&Q).

Temps now

Idle: 31c
    50% load: 45c
    100% load: (prime 95): 72c

Anyone with this build config, i urge you to conduct this mod. Any questions PM me

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Tetsuo's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Are you using the default thermal paste? I had problems with that switched it to my antec diamond 7 believe it was and runs 60c100% idle 25-30c depending on what doing. on a i5 4670k (4.6ghz) And my chip is known for running hot.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Tetsuo View Post
    Are you using the default thermal paste? I had problems with that switched it to my antec diamond 7 believe it was and runs 60c100% idle 25-30c depending on what doing. on a i5 4670k (4.6ghz) And my chip is known for running hot.
    Welp you did use your own. Check if pump is working if not then pump is bad h100I are known for pump failures.

Rank
    Private
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Ye h100i system working properly, pump at around 2200rpm. I know for a fact that the thermal paste supplied was of very high quality for corsair (someone e-mailed them and posted the reply against benchmark tests). However i removed it and used arctic sliver 5 as i know it works.

My rig is working fine now after the mod. running very cool even in hot ambient room temp. Very good water cool system. Only thing that would beat it in my opinion is a full custom system (£$£$£$£$). I have 5 other fans in my rig too which helps, 2x200mm and 3x120mm corsair Air Series..........

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Nice. I am thinking of making a huge water cooling loop in mine. but may just go all air cool with a noctua nh d-15 Since about 1-2 degrees better then a h100i lol.

Rank
    Private
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Better?

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...review,10.html

I looked it the noctua coolers. really good but they didn't go with my black/blue case theme. Shame they went for the brown/cream???

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Mickgoth View Post
    Better?

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...review,10.html

I looked it the noctua coolers. really good but they didn't go with my black/blue case theme. Shame they went for the brown/cream???
    The h100I GT is a newer version of the successful h100i believe with a faster pump or different block design or rad or even all of them which means cooler performance. Yeah I hate the brown/ cream color