I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat.. Subadaga's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default How much can a 650w 80 Plus gold PSU can handle?

I'm thinking on buying an EVGA 80plus gold, 650w power supply for my build, these are the specs (Nothing has overclock) :

-Intel 4690k (At 3.9GHz with TurboBoost)
    -GTX 970 Msi 4G
    -16GB Corsair Vengeance
    -500GB Adata SSD
    -1tb WD 5400rpm Red

I currently have a EVGA 750W 80 plus bronze PSU, but the problem is that is too long and it doesn't let the hard drive cage be inside the case (Corsair 380T)

And finally, I'm looking for a fully modular PSU.

Thanks in advance.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Tetsuo's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Will be bale to run it easy. a 970 can run with a i5 or i7 on a 650w is enough.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Tetsuo's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Tetsuo View Post
    Will be bale to run it easy. a 970 can run with a i5 or i7 on a 650w is enough.
    I love my EVGA G2 super nova 750w. I am planning to buy another 970 with it and upgrade to a x99. A 650w can run a lot This is mine I bought it for 70 when was on sale and got a 20 dollar rebate with it so only 50 bucks for me. Great power supply and modular 100%. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-017-_-Product

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck Marrv's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

http://powersupplycalculator.net/

To further add, need a lot more numbers to work out full load requirements but with just what you put up there its only pulling 394w
    Last edited by Marrv; 07-21-2015 at 05:05 AM.

"Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_subadaga View Post
    I'm thinking on buying an EVGA 80plus gold, 650w power supply for my build, these are the specs (Nothing has overclock) :

-Intel 4690k (At 3.9GHz with TurboBoost)
    -GTX 970 Msi 4G
    -16GB Corsair Vengeance
    -500GB Adata SSD
    -1tb WD 5400rpm Red

I currently have a EVGA 750W 80 plus bronze PSU, but the problem is that is too long and it doesn't let the hard drive cage be inside the case (Corsair 380T)

And finally, I'm looking for a fully modular PSU.

Thanks in advance.
    Could you give a more detailed list of ALL your components? Including any external storage(Attached to the PC)?
    A Good 650W 80+ Gold PSU can handle your current setup just fine, with wiggle room, but not much(maybe a few HDD's/SSD's and 2 PCIe x1 Expansion cards; IE Sound card, USB3/USB2 Expansion card(s) | PCIe x4; RAID cards). The powersupplycalculator(I used it as a starting point for buying my PSU's, dont really need to now) is a good referance, but remember to add 10%-15% to the total wattage calculated for rest-assure and expansion.

Some really good 650W(Plenty, if its 80+ Gold/Platiunum) 80+ Gold PSU's(Partially Modular/Fully Modular):

** = Recommended
    * = Also recommended, but not over the latter

1) Rosewill Photon 650W [80+ Gold| Fully Modular] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182323 $79.99 (As of 7/21/2015) **

2) Seasonic 650W [80+ Gold| Modular] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151118 $99.99 (As of 7/21/2015) *

3) EVGA 650W [80+ Gold | Fully Modular] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817438026 $84.99 (As of 7/21/2015) <-- I dont recommend this one of the 3, which is the one you where thinking of buying, but its up to you.

The Power Supply's have a Total of 650W of available power(Before you say "obviously", let me explain how it *really* works if you dont already know, just incase):

12VSupply's power *Most* of the components( If im not mistaken, ATX12V Standard: Graphics cards, CPU, Motherboard, Case Fans, ETC), the 3.3V and 5V supply power to Devices like HDD's/SSD's, Most Expansion Cards, USB Devices, ETC

So its also important to not how the Total wattage split between the Different voltages is valued at. Even a perfect PSU, say a 850W, w/ 850W total wattage on the 12V rail, still wont have the full 850W available, due to power(W) being drawn from other devices like HDD's/SSD's/Expansion cards(Not Including Graphics cards, or any other Type of Compute card *generally*)/ETC. So its efficiency rating is very important, but so is its Voltage ratings 3.3V/5V/12V(Especially 12V, as it supply's power to most of the components).

The EVGA PSU is actually rated for 836W on the 12V rail, which is further off than both the Seasonic and the Rosewill both offering a total of +/- 5W from their advertised ratings/wattage.

I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat.. Subadaga's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Sure.

-The motherboard is a EVGA Z97 Stinger Wifi, which is a mini ITX motherboard.
    -I'm planning on having 1 SSD and 3 HDD's
    -Possible upgrade from the GTX 970 to a GTX 980Ti
    -External devices are, of course Keyboard/Mouse and a maximum of 2 external HDD's.
    -4 case fans blue LED, (3 of 120mm and 1 of 200mm)

and that's about it, maybe an upgrade to a i7 4790k, but that's quite unlikely.

All the years to come I want you to remember the one man who beat you. Cropels's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Sure.

-The motherboard is a EVGA Z97 Stinger Wifi, which is a mini ITX motherboard.
    -I'm planning on having 1 SSD and 3 HDD's
    -Possible upgrade from the GTX 970 to a GTX 980Ti
    -External devices are, of course Keyboard/Mouse and a maximum of 2 external HDD's.
    -4 case fans blue LED, (3 of 120mm and 1 of 200mm)

and that's about it, maybe an upgrade to a i7 4790k, but that's quite unlikely.

How did you get that MOBO?
    It doesn't appear in EVGA official site or Amazon...

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Magic

All the years to come I want you to remember the one man who beat you. Cropels's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Magic

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zotac B.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	698.6 KB 
ID:	18019

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Cropels View Post
    How did you get that MOBO?
    It doesn't appear in EVGA official site or Amazon...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813188158

Wifi Version is out of stock, its probably on amazon, this is the SAME mobo, just no WiFi module in the mPCIe slot-

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Grady666 View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813188158

Wifi Version is out of stock, its probably on amazon, this is the SAME mobo, just no WiFi module in the mPCIe slot-
    The point is that in Mexico it is impossible to get a product that is not for sale on the official site (EVGA, ASUS, Gigabyte, etc..)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The point is that in Mexico it is impossible to get a product that is not for sale on the official site (EVGA, ASUS, Gigabyte, etc..)
    Ohh, yea I remember you telling me that; That limits you alot, Newegg does offer international shipping, its a little more expensive, but its worth it if it means you get a MUCH larger selection of hardware

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Grady666 View Post
    Could you give a more detailed list of ALL your components? Including any external storage(Attached to the PC)?
    A Good 650W 80+ Gold PSU can handle your current setup just fine, with wiggle room, but not much(maybe a few HDD's/SSD's and 2 PCIe x1 Expansion cards; IE Sound card, USB3/USB2 Expansion card(s) | PCIe x4; RAID cards). The powersupplycalculator(I used it as a starting point for buying my PSU's, dont really need to now) is a good referance, but remember to add 10%-15% to the total wattage calculated for rest-assure and expansion.

Some really good 650W(Plenty, if its 80+ Gold/Platiunum) 80+ Gold PSU's(Partially Modular/Fully Modular):

** = Recommended
    * = Also recommended, but not over the latter

1) Rosewill Photon 650W [80+ Gold| Fully Modular] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182323 $79.99 (As of 7/21/2015) **

2) Seasonic 650W [80+ Gold| Modular] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151118 $99.99 (As of 7/21/2015) *

3) EVGA 650W [80+ Gold | Fully Modular] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817438026 $84.99 (As of 7/21/2015) <-- I dont recommend this one of the 3, which is the one you where thinking of buying, but its up to you.

The Power Supply's have a Total of 650W of available power(Before you say "obviously", let me explain how it *really* works if you dont already know, just incase):

12VSupply's power *Most* of the components( If im not mistaken, ATX12V Standard: Graphics cards, CPU, Motherboard, Case Fans, ETC), the 3.3V and 5V supply power to Devices like HDD's/SSD's, Most Expansion Cards, USB Devices, ETC

So its also important to not how the Total wattage split between the Different voltages is valued at. Even a perfect PSU, say a 850W, w/ 850W total wattage on the 12V rail, still wont have the full 850W available, due to power(W) being drawn from other devices like HDD's/SSD's/Expansion cards(Not Including Graphics cards, or any other Type of Compute card *generally*)/ETC. So its efficiency rating is very important, but so is its Voltage ratings 3.3V/5V/12V(Especially 12V, as it supply's power to most of the components).

The EVGA PSU is actually rated for 836W on the 12V rail, which is further off than both the Seasonic and the Rosewill both offering a total of +/- 5W from their advertised ratings/wattage.
    What do you think about this power supply? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER it's not fully modular, but can fit in my case perfectly; plus, the flat cables can save some space.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

What do you think about this power supply? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER it's not fully modular, but can fit in my case perfectly; plus, the flat cables can save some space.
    I would pick any of the 3 above over that one, but if its the only one available to you, then its certainly solid.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zotac B.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	698.6 KB