If you can't find the enemy, they're behind you. Silkmonger's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default B57A: Woo. Was I ever overestimating this plane!

Ok, I know it's going to suck without any mods, but wow. I have to get started at the beginning to have any real hope of bombing a target. (Which is admittedly better than a B29, most of the time) I did not expect a late start to mean that I would get intercepted by jets and even props before I could drop on one of the target bases.

Another thing I did not expect is that (at least in the few times I've yet flown my B57A) it seems jet fighter pilots are not opposed to ramming you when they run out of ammo, if you dodge enough of their shots. I had one yesterday wait until I was landing and ram me at the airfield.

I specifically saved 2K gold eagles just to buy the talisman for this plane, but am holding off at least for now.

"Every day is a beautiful day" Elwood P. Dowd AOD Member AOD_PapaPnut's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    World of Warships
    Status
    Active

Patience......after "spaded" (all the upgrades) it's a great plane.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck Caash95's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You only have to know your aircraft and get creative with the manouvers

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! deatheagle14's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yeah spaded its a good plane but until then the grind is real

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Zoscho's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'd really recommend turning of 'join in progress', especially in higher tier RB matches. Joining late can really mess with your chances of doing anything useful in that match. Either you'll get intercepted while still climbing / on approach to your first bombing target or the fight is decided while you still are on your approach to the target area.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I am still flying this plane. My original plan had been to buy the talisman for it, and use it to grind up much of what other US airplanes I needed. I am finding that no guns comes very close to "no fun", though. Now, I wonder if waiting to buy the talisman for the B57B might be a better idea. How many golden eagles to buy the talisman for the B57B?

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Pegleglarry's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

It truly is a great plane though, just wait until you get some modifications

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Ok. I have to admit, once the mods were there, this became a sweet ride. I used it to research the B57B, and also to raise the lions I needed to buy the B57B and train a crew. It seemed an epic grind of RP's. It was a real eye-opener to go from a fully modded B57A over to a stock B57B, too. Everything was catching me with no trouble, so diving in to kill targets like I did without trouble in the 'A put me on the deck in front of Mig15's, as opposed to a better alt in front of lesser fighters.

Another thing: I don't remember any odd behavior in any other plane while bombing, but the B57B will flinch when you start bombing. If that's from the bomb bay doors opening, I wish I had control of that, so that I could get them open sooner and not have a sudden movement of my bomb target when I am trying to drop bombs. I suspect it would be handy as another sort of airbrake in a dogfight, too.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Well, shoot. I don't see how to edit posts in here. :-(

I did spend 2,200 GE's to get the Talisman for my B57B. It is a HUGE help in getting mods! Also, I think this one plane may be the secret to doing the rest of the research I need for the US planes. I haven't modded the B57B yet, and it's already finished off 2 of my prop planes, research-wise. Now the only thing stopping me from having several more prop planes is a lack of lions. I think I'm researching my last prop plane now, and will start on the jets next.

Danneskjold Repossessions. AOD Member AOD_Danneskjold's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Torgund View Post
    Ok. I have to admit, once the mods were there, this became a sweet ride. I used it to research the B57B, and also to raise the lions I needed to buy the B57B and train a crew. It seemed an epic grind of RP's. It was a real eye-opener to go from a fully modded B57A over to a stock B57B, too. Everything was catching me with no trouble, so diving in to kill targets like I did without trouble in the 'A put me on the deck in front of Mig15's, as opposed to a better alt in front of lesser fighters.

Another thing: I don't remember any odd behavior in any other plane while bombing, but the B57B will flinch when you start bombing. If that's from the bomb bay doors opening, I wish I had control of that, so that I could get them open sooner and not have a sudden movement of my bomb target when I am trying to drop bombs. I suspect it would be handy as another sort of airbrake in a dogfight, too.
    The B-57B doesn't have Bomb Bay Doors. It has a Bomb Tray. Basically, instead of doors opening up to bomb, the entire bomb rack is mounted on the bottom inside of the plane. So when you hit the bomb button, the entire rack takes ~2 seconds to rotate 180 degrees open. If you move too much while it's opening, you'll miss your target.

I made Gaijin aware of this back in closed testing and that they desperately need a bomb bay door button, but they still haven't done it.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Ok. One of the bomb loads the B57B can carry has 9X500lbs bombs in the bay and 4 more on the wings. The drop order is bay bombs first, then wing bombs. (I would have done that exactly opposite, to get rid of the drag and reduce the angular momentum (wing loads make rolling more difficult), but it wasn't my call. What I REALLY don't get is why there is a delay when the bay is empty and all I have to drop are the wing-mounted bombs?

Okay, who put a stop payment on my reality check? AndyinBrum's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

because gaijin