I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat.. Subadaga's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Geekout X99 vs Z170 chipsets.

Hey guys, I'm choosing between getting a motherboard upgrade, from a Z97 core i5 4690k, to a X99 or Z170 (Considering that RAM also has to be upgraded)

This because I'd like more CPU power to use in Unreal Engine, some Java programs (Doing Ackermann's models, fractals and simulations which take a high amount of operations) , gaming and video editing.

So, what chipset would you think it's more adequate? what motherboard do you think it's the best?

Current PC specs:

Processor: Core 15 4690k (3.8 Ghz Current Speed)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper D92 (37° idle, 60° 100% load)
    Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Stinger Wifi
    Ram: 16gb Corsair Vengeance
    Video: Nvidia GTX 970 MSI 4G
    Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W

"Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

It depends, If you have/want alot of PCIe-based devices(Up to 40 PCIe Lanes) then X99 is your best bet; But the Z170 Chipset shares alot of the same features as X99: DDR4 Support, up to 28 PCIe Lanes(So SLI/CFX and a M.2/PCIe based storage device wont saturate the PCIe bus), SATA Express, ETC

I'd personally go w/ the Z170 Chipset, due to the fact it shares alot of the same features of X99(Besides LGA2011/2011-V3 Processor support and up to 40 PCIe Lanes) and its cheaper;

Even If I had the money, I would still go w/ a Z170 Based system, due to the fact its the latest chipset from Intel, and like I said shares alot of the same features as X99

Foxtrot, Unicorn, Charlie, Kilo Neotoad's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Grady666 View Post
    It depends, If you have/want alot of PCIe-based devices(Up to 40 PCIe Lanes) then X99 is your best bet; But the Z170 Chipset shares alot of the same features as X99: DDR4 Support, up to 28 PCIe Lanes(So SLI/CFX and a M.2/PCIe based storage device wont saturate the PCIe bus), SATA Express, ETC

I'd personally go w/ the Z170 Chipset, due to the fact it shares alot of the same features of X99(Besides LGA2011/2011-V3 Processor support and up to 40 PCIe Lanes) and its cheaper;

Even If I had the money, I would still go w/ a Z170 Based system, due to the fact its the latest chipset from Intel, and like I said shares alot of the same features as X99
    The real amazing thing, as you pointed out, is that it is not only the latest chipset but a CHEAPER chipset than x99. Even the 1151 processors are a better "value":

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	value-gaming.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	18806

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	value.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	18807

source: http://techreport.com/review/28751/i...or-reviewed/14