Can I have your Tots AOD Member AOD_pappenhamster's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Icon12 help ?!

k. nerds/computer geeks. i need some assistance here.
    i was planning on upgrading my system. and since I'm not that familiar with all that stuff i wanted to ask for some help please ?!

i don't know what to get. what's good enough but won't cost me a fortune

intel i7 950
    12 gb ddr3
    win7 prof. (64)
    gforce gtx 660ti

mainboard i have no idea what that is...i forgot....all i know is that i will need a new one if i'm going to upgrade

any help/suggestions will be much appreciated

Foxtrot, Unicorn, Charlie, Kilo Neotoad's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Let us know your budget! (U$D, CA, overseas?) Some things to think about: 1) If you can wait 6-8 months you would benefit hugely from price drops on Intel cpu/mobo combos and Nvidia clearances as they prepare for a new line of GPU's come this winter/spring. 2) Do you plan on sinking more money into your rig in the future? For instance, would you consider adding a second high-end graphics card for SLI in the next two or three years? Your power supply and motherboard choices should take this into consideration. 3) Do you mind reusing an old keyboard, mouse, and monitor to save a few bucks in the short term and save for quality components later on? A good keyboard, mouse and monitor can easily set you back $500. Almost the cost of the computer itself!

I'm going to give it my best shot, with an estimated budget of $850. Keep in mind this is a mid-high tier performance computer. It will blow anything you can find in Best Buy out of the water :P Always room to cut back if you're budget conscious and this seems too pricey.

Case: Corsair 200R $70
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 ATX motherboard ($90)
    CPU: Intel i5-4430 processor ($180)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3-1600 memory ($50)
    HDD: WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM hard drive ($50)
    SSD: Mushkin Eco2 solid state drive 128GB ($50)
    PSU: Corsair CX-500 power supply ($50)
    GPU: GeForce 970 GTX ($320)

Total: $850

Windows can be free, if you know where to look. Seek out student discounts or friends that can find them for you! I did not include it in this list since I consider it a waste spending $100 for an OEM copy of windows.

Please let me know if you have any questions! I'll be happy to answer and explain what I've described and perhaps even help narrow down what you truly need in this machine.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

well. i am in canada. so it'll be all in canadian bucks ^^
    it is just to give me rough idea. i can still wait though.

my budget...well....depending on how the job market is going to develop was umm around 1500 bucks.
    i don't need a case. neither monitor mouse and keyboard. i've got all that stuff. and it's not cheap junk.

so....all i need is basically mainboard. cpu. graphics card. ram. maybe a cooler depending on what i'm going to get ect.

oh. the few things i wrote in my first post is the stuff i currently have built in my system. i forgot to mention that before ^^

like i said. i'm not familiar with all that stuff. :/

Can I have your Tots dendroaspis84's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_pappenhamster View Post

my budget...well....depending on how the job market is going to develop was umm around 1500 bucks.
    i don't need a case. neither monitor mouse and keyboard. i've got all that stuff. and it's not cheap junk.

so....all i need is basically mainboard. cpu. graphics card. ram. maybe a cooler depending on what i'm going to get ect.

oh. the few things i wrote in my first post is the stuff i currently have built in my system. i forgot to mention that before ^^

That build AOD_Neotoad has suggested is quite good budget build. I also recommend it.

Foxtrot, Unicorn, Charlie, Kilo Neotoad's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_pappenhamster View Post

So sorry that I misread your original post! Your cpu/motherboard/memory is still good enough for one, maybe two generations. That boils down to about two years of longevity in my eyes. I'm guessing you're using DDR3-1333 or 1600 ram? All of those paired with a 660 Ti add up to a strong gaming computer that can put out 60 FPS on most of todays games without going to low. Have you had frame rate issues in new titles? I'm just assuming your primary use is for gaming. If you are doing heavy video/audio/image editing or 3d modeling I would be happy to draft up ideas for a good workstation/gaming build.

The i7-950 remains a decent competitor. Today's best processor is still not twice as fast as yours. Here's a comparison to the new top-of-the-line Intel chip: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i...-Core-i7-6700K

Is it worth spending close to $1200 CAD to gain 75% more performance? Only you can answer that. As frequently as I upgrade, I'd have to be pretty flush with cash to make that call :P And that brings me to my final point: a new graphics card usually makes the most sense in $/fps.

The best recommendation I can give you is to pickup a new videocard. The GeForce 970 is a beast of a card and will give you a heavy boost where I suspect you need it. I picked up the MSI 4G TwinFrozr from Microcenter for $370 w/ tax, but you may want to price hunt for a bit. If you're the patient type you will find it close to $300 US ($350 CAD?) when Nvidia drops their new GPU lineup later this year. It's always nice to buy the second-latest generation on clearance!

If you're really itching to take a big bite of jiggapixelwatts and chew on that sonofabitch, here is a parts list in Canadian dollhairs: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/emo...d/#view=rdwv6h
    Last edited by Neotoad; 09-10-2015 at 11:12 AM.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

whoaaaa. i am sorry !
    i totally forgot to check this post that's why i never replied ! :/
    well. i guess you're right. the system is doing it's job fine so far. and i don't really have issues at all with it. sure it does drop the frame rate every now and then but that was just at a certain game which happened only in the very beginning of the match. other than that i have no issue.
    i just like having more lol.
    but for now i have to freeze this project
    times have changed and i have to take a new job(s) due to closure of the mine i used to work at. so i can't afford new stuff at the moment.
    i'll come back to you (if that is ok with you of course) once i can see some light at the end of the tunnel

thanks a lot for your help so far bud ! :)

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Default all set !

alright....finally got my tax return ! 7.2k (can)
    well. if you guys would be so kind and give me some hints on what to get ?
    i'm looking in upgrading my whole system !
    had a budget set at like 3k EVENTUALLY 4k but that will include monitors...i'd like to have 3 in total.

any ideas folks ?