Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Geekout Switching from TV to Monitor soon

Hello my fellow people!

I am going to be upgrading my PC soon. Most likely a whole new build from what I have now.

As of right now, I currently game on a 27'' Vizio TV on my desk and have some sort of Samsung 19'' not even 1080p, just as a secondary monitor. I have never experienced playing in a higher resolution than 1080 or higher refresh rate than 60hz.

So, I want to upgrade to a monitor badly! I hear I am missing out on quite a lot. Though I'm not quite sure on what type of monitor, or what I should go with. So far I have been looking at two-three monitors. I was thinking about going with a triple screen setup, and game across all screens, but I heard from some people it's not as good as it sounds?

Someone recommended to me to go with a Ultrawide screen instead.

Monitors I am considering:
    * ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27'' 165hz 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync
    * Acer Predator X34 34'' 100hz 3440x1440 IPS G-Sync
    * Asus PG348G 34'' 100hz 3440x1440 IPS G-Sync

Those are the ones I have been looking at/considering. I would definitely want above 1080p and a G-Sync Monitor. As far as IPS vs TN goes, I don't know much about them, but I have heard IPS is a lot better.

As far as running games, I am hoping to run most games on max settings at the screen resolution and still get high frames, so the refresh rate isn't pointless.

I will most likely be getting a 980 Ti, or dual 980 Ti's if needed. (If the 980 ti can even handle these resolutions maxed out i.e. 3440x1440).

Would 100hz still be a good refresh rate compared to 145hz/165hz if I went with that Acer Predator?
    Would you recommend a triple screen setup with 27'' monitors?
    Anything else you would recommend?
    Yikes! So much to think about..!

Any input, advice or tips are greatly appreciated!--

Don't piss me off! I'm running out of places to hide the bodies AOD_OddJob001's Avatar
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Personally I am scared to go to 27". But I play mostly FPS. However after 2 years of 144hz at 24" I think I want to go 27". I am not going to buy any true 4k until Displayport supports 4k above 60hz. Right now displayport 1.2 on 4k's does not support anything over 60hz. So after using 144hz, I could never go back to anything less than ~ 120hz. That being said, I think your next best bet is the ASUS ROG.

Unless you never play FPS's then go all out with the 34". For me though, as soon as I have to start moving my head, and not just my eyes, I lose control and advantage of any fast paced games (FPS and RTS's)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

OK, So I played on a brand new(last year) 32" Vizio TV. If you play something like World of Warcraft its good. If you play a first person shooter like PlanetSide 2, poke your eyes out and you will play better.