Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Been lurking and you guys convinced me

Hey guys

Some of you have seen me lurking on here, trying to help out where I can. Thought would let you know you convinced me to order upgrade parts while I am away. Not a wise decision, especially when the misses finds out! But oh well.

Sticking with the non core parts;
    Cm 690 II case
    Corsair 850 gold (I think)
    4gb ram (or 8, can't even remember type, will upgrade this when I can reclaim my bank account from misses)
    Blu-Ray player & burner
    Floppy (yes I still always put one in!)
    Enough fans to raise a heli-carrier (5x120mm will update make when bk home)

New bits;
    Asia z97 pro gamer
    I5-4690k
    212 evo cooler
    Msi gtx 970

Considering old build was;
    AMD phenom II x4 955 @3.6
    Hd6850

The performance boost will be nice

Admittedly it is nothing to write home about but just wanted to let you guys know you inspired me, and if you don't see me again it is as the misses out me out on a street corner to pay for it! :)
    Last edited by Marrv; 10-08-2015 at 04:29 AM. Reason: It is always typos!!!!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Nice! I am starting a new build myself. building off a I7 Skylake.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Sargent Horse's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Very nice man, I would have gone with the SABERTOOTH Z97 Mark S but any Z97 is a good Z97.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck Marrv's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by Sargent Horse View Post
    Very nice man, I would have gone with the SABERTOOTH Z97 Mark S but any Z97 is a good Z97.
    The 85 quid extra for that board would not be worth it to me. The extra cooling would only apply if going for 4.6 ghz @1.4+ oc's or above and I need to put together a dust management system for the entire case anyway. If I do an extreme oc and try to push for 5.0 will likely do it on a new water cooling setup for peace of mind. Assuming the chip could even reach that level.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck Marrv's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

All parts finally arrived late on friday, put together Saturday & went to boot....

Driver error in windows, not able to repair. And as I was being over confident had not backed up before doing rebuild....

So lots of research & 2x64gb usb sticks later I have an entire windows 7 64 bit OS on a USB stick & manage to boot from that & recover documents to an external
    Then use second USB stick as a boot stick & reinstall windows.

Just one last kicker, in addition to wiping the system drive (naturally) I also in a moment of clarity, or madness, wiped the other two drives as well (needed doing).

So now re-installing everything & starting from scratch

A few things I found out;
    Nvidia Ge-fore Experience is a pain in the ass
    All drivers from 355.xx to 385.50 installed from that program install 3d vision as well, this causes DWM.exe to crash on startup (can be removed manually after installation via control panel though)
    SSD's when clean are hard to hit the F8 windows boot option window (its around 1.5 seconds)
    Entire time from pwr on > windows being ready to use ~8sec
    Going to the advanced menu's out of habit is not a good thing, XMP on asus mobo's is under EZ setup settings & not present under advanced (!?!)
    Installing new aftermarket heatsinks on cpu's still makes me nervous
    Finally have a mobo that can control all my pwr chassis fans - the noise is so quiet!

Now to remember what I need to reinstall - on that note what browsers do you all use?