Can I have your Tots Tobias2189's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default GTX 650 and Other Questions!

I've got a gtx 650 with two connectors at the back and I'm wondering why there are two of them? I've had it for about two years now, my computer only had one connector thing for it. ("Connector thing" you probably can tell I don't know much about this stuff)

I assume that is a power supply, if I upgraded would I get any benefit from doing so?

These are my specs: http://pastebin.com/uv3FX1c8
    (I was running out of memory so I ordered a Seagate Expansion 1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 on Amazon and picked up a 64gb flash drive from walmart.)
    The specs list was not updated with memory info yet.

I know most people would say not to waste money on upgrading anything but I do as I please! I'm looking to buy either a new power supply, fan for the apu or another 8 gigs of ram. For around 60 or less.

If you know enough about computers and can tell me what should be prioritized first and include a link to the exact thing that would work in my setup, I would be greatful!

I've updated my privacy policy AOD Member AOD_Nozama's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

Default GTX 650 and Other Questions!

I'd get another 8 gb of memory, what you bought was storage.

Hard drives are storage and you still have room there according to specs.

A Gtx 650 is kind of a slouch in the performance area, Nvidia cards use a nomenclature that shows the card performance I.e. gtx 450 gtx 550 gtx 650 through the 9XX series of video cards. The X50 cards are the bottom end of performance for any series and you are 2 revisions behind the current generation of cards (no 800 series)

The second connector on your card is for another video out.

TL;DR

Buy more "memory" and upgrade the video card.

Sent from my implant via the obelisk.
    Last edited by AOD_Nozama; 11-11-2015 at 08:29 AM.
    "You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."
    Plato

Can I have your Tots Tobias2189's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You've just gotta love English. =\ Okay after reading your reply and then my first post, I've got some changes to make. When I said I was running out of "memory" I meant storage space on my HD. So I got an external for extra storage space. I only mentioned it because I have not updated my spec list since I ordered it.

The connectors I was talking about on the graphics card are: http://img.techpowerup.org/130711/molex_pci-e.jpg

I've updated my privacy policy AOD Member AOD_Nozama's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

6/8 pin connectors are on the card inside and if those aren't hooked up the 650 shouldn't be working and it seems like the APU should be feeding the video, can you run a dxdiag?
    "You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."
    Plato

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck JJay's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Nozama View Post
    6/8 pin connectors are on the card inside and if those aren't hooked up the 650 shouldn't be working and it seems like the APU should be feeding the video, can you run a dxdiag?
    Actually I believe the 650 is able to be used drawing power off of the motherboard, if I recall correctly.

[A google search later lol] Yea, here's the newegg description.

A great entry point to DirectX 11 gaming, the ASUS GeForce GTX 650 brings your gaming experience to a new level with amazing visual brilliance and environmental interaction, without a hit on your wallet. Based on the fast and energy-efficient 28nm Kepler architecture, the GTX650 packs powerful SMX shaders and abundant amount of memory, which deliver exhilarating graphics power for you to game HD in the latest FPS and MMORPG games. Its power-plug free design allows you instant graphics card upgrade with just the motherboard power, without the need of a bigger PSU or the hassle of connecting cable. The premium alloy power component with dust-resistant fan ensures superior durability and quality you can count on for long term, heavy-duty use.
    But I think if you have the power cable, then plugging it in is going to be much better for performance.

Don't piss me off! I'm running out of places to hide the bodies AOD_OddJob001's Avatar
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Two connectors on the back? By back, do you mean back of the card, or back of the computer? A or B in the picture below?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5i5prBY.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	19934

If you are talking abut A, then yes, those are your power connections. Didnt think cards worked without those being plugged in, guess Ive never tried. If they are not plugged in PLUG THEM IN!

If you are talking about (B) the two DVI connections. The one with a + on the side is DVI-I it carries digital and analog signals. The one with only the - carries digital only. Some of the new cards require the use of one or the other, depending on the monitor and the monitors refresh rate. For example my 144hz monitor requires DVI-D Dual Link. Here are what all the DVI connectors look like:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gum191t.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	19935

http://i.imgur.com/Gum191t.png