Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: im in need...

  1. #1
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue HEZY's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Age
    36
    Posts
    38

    Default im in need...

    Hi guys

    I'm in need of a new pc but im lost in todays market...

    im thinking of getting a Intel Hex Core i7 5820K can you offer advice on sim' cpu's or others i should think about?

  2. #2
    The Token Staff Sergeant
    AOD_Master Butters's Avatar
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Jedi Knight
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_HEZY View Post
    Hi guys

    I'm in need of a new pc but im lost in todays market...

    im thinking of getting a Intel Hex Core i7 5820K can you offer advice on sim' cpu's or others i should think about?
    i5's are great for gaming.

    Why do you need an i7, let alone a hex core CPU? Do you do a lot of multitasking, editing, and such? If you're just getting it for gaming, you should get a cheaper CPU.
    http://www.clanaod.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10768&dateline=135607  8793
    Don't fold if you're made to bend.

  3. #3
    Previous Sgt & CO AOD Member AOD_TheAlphaDogs09's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Purgatory
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    I would agree with rainbow dash :) (still a beautiful name)

    If you going for something extremely high like you are, then you are going to be paying out more for no reason.

    If you are in the lines of making custom videos and multitasking maybe playing 2 games at once like most archeage people do I'd understand.

    For editing and such just get a cheap as hell laptop xD


    Ex-Sergeant and Commanding Officer of Tom Clancy

  4. #4
    I took an IQ test and the results were negative NuNu's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Charleston
    Age
    31
    Posts
    26

    Default

    If you are looking at spending some money look at the new I7 6700k skylake, you will need an 1151 socket and DDR4 ram. The price of it is not too bad and id mix it up with a 970 GTX and 16GB ram. The motherboard you can get an EVGA Classified or a ROG Hero, maybe even a sabertooth if u wanna spend. But hey this all depends on what budget your working on, without knowing how much you wanna spend its impossible to point you in the right direction.

  5. #5
    Don't shoot, I'm reloading AOD Member AOD_lanius424's Avatar
    Rank
    Corporal
    Division
    Elite: Dangerous
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Age
    20
    Posts
    1,742

    Default

    I do have a GTX 970 (used) that I am looking to get rid of. PM me if you're interested


    Sent from the Matrix using telepathic communication
    <signature goes here>

  6. #6
    If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! AceofSlayed's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    55

    Default

    I recently dropped 5k on my new gaming rig.
    My processor choice (as of March this year) was an i7-4790k.
    All the OC'ing you could ever need on a quad core.

    It's all you need and it'll last for years to come!

    I did a LOT of research before settling on this bad boy.

    For those curious, I run 16-30 accounts in an old school MMO at once, which is why I went all out on the rig. Even with 30 toons up, I can move/zone/play with no issues.

  7. #7
    First take the plank out of your own eye.
    AOD_Kestah's Avatar
    Rank
    Master Sergeant
    Division
    Blizzard Universe
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Cyberspace, USA
    Posts
    5,383

    Default

    So you're one of those guys soloing 25 mans, all from 1 PC somehow. Or just a major farmer?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Art by Blinix


    Thoughts become Actions. Actions become Habits. Habits become Character.

  8. #8
    Technologies are invented to make our lives easier, not our choices.
    AOD_Adapt1ve's Avatar
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_AceofSlayed View Post
    I recently dropped 5k on my new gaming rig.
    My processor choice (as of March this year) was an i7-4790k.
    All the OC'ing you could ever need on a quad core.

    It's all you need and it'll last for years to come!

    I did a LOT of research before settling on this bad boy.

    For those curious, I run 16-30 accounts in an old school MMO at once, which is why I went all out on the rig. Even with 30 toons up, I can move/zone/play with no issues.
    Yeah probably not something you want to talk about in public... just say you need that rig for reasons like folding proteins or solving world hunger.

  9. #9
    If I'm not back in 5... Boycott sniffing glue! Can I have your shampoo? AOD_Oogieboogie's Avatar
    Rank
    Staff Sergeant
    Division
    Black Desert
    Status
    On Leave
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    32
    Posts
    805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Adapt1ve View Post
    Yeah probably not something you want to talk about in public... just say you need that rig for reasons like folding proteins or solving world hunger.
    He didn't say which old-school MMO it was. Maybe his are the only 30 players left in game, and he needs to maintain that economy :P

    I agree that a 5000 series i7 is overkill if you're just gaming. Any i7 is overkill for most gaming. However the i7s may be worthwhile and give better performance if you do things like streaming, run multiple game clients at once, or do other workloads like heavy video editing or 3D design and need all the multithreading power you can get.

    I will say you get some serious longevity with the i7 and to some extent the i5. Personally I just purchased an i7 4790k during this week's sales to replace my 6 year old i7 860. I've been running new games with no issues and a big part of my upgrade is because my motherboard usb is failing and its features are falling behind... :-)


    Other Games: Armored Warfare (NA:T6 EU:T7), WoT (7 T10s), WoWs (T6)

  10. #10
    Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I EpicBlob's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Carbondale
    Age
    24
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Agreed on the 4790k. This is a processor that you can pretty much leave untouched for several years (and then you can start overclocking it hehe). I myself just purchased a 4790k to help future proof my system and paired with a gtx 970 (OC'd to comparable 980 levels) and a g-sync monitor incoming, I plan to leave my computer sans modifying for a while :D While the i7 is a bit more expensive, I would just pay the extra bit now and be done (mostly due to the i7 hyperthreading making it useful in anything just in case you need non-gaming cpu performance). The 6700k is apparently a great processor, but the only real difference between it and the 4790k is ddr4 ram. So far ddr3 is more than fine for anything, especially if you get a 2133mhz or 2400mhz stick.

  11. #11
    Don't shoot, I'm reloading AOD Member AOD_lanius424's Avatar
    Rank
    Corporal
    Division
    Elite: Dangerous
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Age
    20
    Posts
    1,742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_EpicBlob View Post
    Agreed on the 4790k. This is a processor that you can pretty much leave untouched for several years (and then you can start overclocking it hehe). I myself just purchased a 4790k to help future proof my system and paired with a gtx 970 (OC'd to comparable 980 levels) and a g-sync monitor incoming, I plan to leave my computer sans modifying for a while :D While the i7 is a bit more expensive, I would just pay the extra bit now and be done (mostly due to the i7 hyperthreading making it useful in anything just in case you need non-gaming cpu performance). The 6700k is apparently a great processor, but the only real difference between it and the 4790k is ddr4 ram. So far ddr3 is more than fine for anything, especially if you get a 2133mhz or 2400mhz stick.
    want another 970?


    Sent from the Matrix using telepathic communication
    <signature goes here>

  12. #12
    Technologies are invented to make our lives easier, not our choices.
    AOD_Adapt1ve's Avatar
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,251

    Default

    I am building my new system on an i7 Skylake. Overkill for gaming but i also stream.

    Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! AceofSlayed's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Kestah View Post
    So you're one of those guys soloing 25 mans, all from 1 PC somehow. Or just a major farmer?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    I don't play WoW Yo!
    But I'll put it like this.

    I got sick and took a two week vacation.

    My guild failed every raid attempt while I was gone.




    Something about having a main tank that has 5 healers dedicated to keeping him up, while the rest of his toons stand back and chain nukes.

    I LOVE EQ Because it lets you move full groups to any area your porter is bound. So changing zones is really easy.

    I will also say, the single most enjoyable time I've had was a guild setting up in my zone trying to kill my main group.

    I had so many mobs come at me that the zone was porting people around.

    Then my 3 berserkers got involved.
    They AoE melee decapitated the train...

    I had 2 toons instantly level (well over 75% of a level for these two) in one pull.
    And I didn't even have to pull the mobs.

    They gave up after about 3 hours of trying to kill the group. I'd just rotate tanks in as cooldowns popped.
    Active tank with cool downs is hard to kill when being chain healed.

    :-D



    But..... for the most part.... I run the groups for raiding purposes and to power level (I charge 150$ for a max level toon in 2 days).


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin By: ForumThemes.com
Top