Ditch the shampoo, demand the real poo! Neogreenyew's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Network Taking Long to Start on Boot

Okay so here is a first world problem if I've ever seen one... My SSD allows my computer to boot too fast so my computer's NIC can't keep up and takes a while to connect to the network after boot. Anyone know how to fix this issue? Googling this problem just gives me results for how to speed up windows boot time which doesn't really help my problem. I've already turned off power management on my network adapter and it didnt fix the issue.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_BritishBob's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

Is the card itself taking a long time or is it taking a while to get internet access. If it's the latter then put a static ip and dns server on there as it could just be waiting a while for the DHCP to come though.

First take the plank out of your own eye.
    Rank
    First Sergeant
    Division
    Diablo
    Status
    Active

I'd say set your switchport to portfast, so it won't try to do that stp stuff, but I doubt your home network is that complicated.

It is probably the DHCP stuff, like previous poster said, so try the static IP/DNS/Default GW.

Art by Blinix

Thoughts become Actions. Actions become Habits. Habits become Character.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_BritishBob's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

I should have mentioned how to set a static ip:
    http://www.colorado.edu/oit/tutorial...tion-windows-7

That's a guide for win 7. If you right click network icon bottom right and go Open Network and Sharing > Change Adapter Settings
    It will also bring you to step 3 ish menus.

Ditch the shampoo, demand the real poo! Neogreenyew's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

It isn't complicated. Just the usual Modem -> Router (DHCP server)-> switch -> Hosts

Also I thought I had a static IP on this comp but it seems that one of these crazy windows 10 updates undid that... I'll try that out again.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! DbyMA's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

There's a couple of troubleshooting things you could try to eliminate the basics:

Have you tried a different patch cable?
    Have you tried a different physical port on your switch?
    Have you checked the link status lights on the NIC and the switch during the boot process?
    (i.e. SSDs are fast, but network and associated hardware should always be faster when establishing an electrical link state! )

There's a few questions to ask about how your environment is interlinked that might provoke a narrowing of the problem:

What is your network power on/boot order?
    (e.g. Router -> Modem -> Switch and finally your hosts)

Do you have any other network devices attached to your switch or router that may be "chattering" (or failing)?

Is your NIC built onto the motherboard? or a separate plug-in device?

Have you reviewed your BIOS/UEFI network related settings?
    As a lot of new boards allow for the configuration of the hardware and stack before the OS boots!

Is it the "soft" state connection to the IP network that takes its time to establish?

What is your OS and/or Internet Security (FW, AV, etc.) configured to do during the initial load-up?

Does the problem only occur during a cold boot?