Knee High to a Worms Ass Ashua_666's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Sooo, Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak then?

Hi there, I'm a new member of the clan and according to the rules we're meant to make regular forum posts so I thought I'd spread the word about Deserts of Kharak which comes out Wednesday. Anybody who's a Homeworld fan should probably take a real look at this game. There hasn't been much information until now, but the gameplay videos that have been released look absolutely amazing.

There's a couple of strange points with it all, namely that it's set on the ground but considering that Homeworld's 3d space mechanics were never really utilised that well, it doesn't seem much of a problem to me. After all, if you watch the gameplay videos, it still really looks to be Homeworld at its heart. I know that Gearbox are publishing this game and for me at least, seeing their name attached to it originally was a serious red flag; however it's worth stressing that they didn't make Deserts of Kharak - actually a bunch of former Relic developers did, uinder the name Blackbird Interactive. Gearbox are just publishing it and have been pretty awesome about the whole thing to be honest.

First of all, this used to be called HARDWARE: ShipBreakers, a spiritual successor to Homeworld. When Gearbox got hold of the Homeworld license, quite amazingly they contacted Blackbird Interactive and essentially said "it's okay if you use the Homeworld IP. We don't mind, nor do we consider it competition for Homeworld : Remastered", which in itself is pretty awesome. So HARDWARE: Shipbreakers became Homeworld: ShipBreakers, but was going to be a f2p multiplayer only game, and here's where I find myself standing amazed that I'm beginning to like Gearbox. They contacted BBI and basically said "you know, why don't we act as Publisher and fund you so you can make a proper single player campaign" which they have done, and now we have Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak.

In case people are wondering, the reason there hasn't been much info about it is that after the Colonial Marines debacle, Gearbox have a new policy which boils down to "keep your mouth shut, don't let Randy Pitchford speak, and show nothing but in-game cinematics and gameplay footage", which I think everyone can agree is a good policy!

So, glad to be in the clan, and I really like the community so far.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Suisin's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

awesome

Can I have your Tots AsinineVulpine's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'm terrible at Strategy Games. I really am; especially RTS games, but even I'm excited for DoK. It looks fantastic and I'm almost tempted to get it myself... I mean granted I'd be awful at it but still, it looks incredible and given that some of the original devs of Homeworld make up Blackbird Interactive, and Gearbox are pretty much giving them free reign on developing the game, I'm confident it'll be great.

Could be interesting to see how its multiplayer goes. Might be the next big strategy multiplayer game. :D