So I just ordered a 970 last week and I was playing shadow of Mordor. Then It just went to a black screen, and my computer would no longer boot. The POST beeps it was giving indicated the graphics card according to the manual. found on page 91 here

http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/...d%20Manual.pdf

I also tried it in my computer at work which has a 550 watt power supply and there was also no video output.

Anyways I am setting that one back.

Now I hooked up my old video card (AMD 7870) for the time being, and it is working fine, except on my second monitor. The display resolution on works on max 720x480. I can set a custom resolution in the AMD control for its normal resolution of 1440 x 900, but upon reboot it back to the low resolution, and the option to change it in the windows screen resolution screen is greyed out. Also in the screen resolution window it is shown as Display device: on DVI instead of the monitor name. in device manager it is showing up as non plug and play monitor.
1. I tried uninstalling the non plug and play monitor and rebooting to see if it detected differently.
2. i tried the actual drivers for that monitor which was only a vista driver (im running win 7 64)
3. uninstalled/reinstalled AMD video drivers.

anyone have any ideas?

Both monitors are connected via DVI cable