Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1
    If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! CallMEKoKo's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    California
    Posts
    62

    Default Part List Opinions

    Hi guys, I was wondering if this is a good first build. Looking to play at 1080p with decent/ high frames. Place your opinions below.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($123.69 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($45.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($33.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($39.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($223.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($46.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case Fan: ARCTIC Arctic F12 74.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($7.79 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $578.41
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-28 21:36 EST-0500

  2. #2
    I have come to terms with the fact that I am cannon fodder. AOD Member AOD_Cyrihs's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Blizzard Universe
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Tecumseh, MI
    Age
    36
    Posts
    587

    Default

    What's your budget?

  3. #3
    #Superhuman AOD Member AOD_Tymplar's Avatar
    Rank
    Specialist
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Second the "What's your budget" question. If you're flexible by about $200-$300 here, you can make a major bump up in experience.

    I would do what I could to at least go with an i5 when it comes to anything related to gaming.

    I don't see a display listed (assuming you have one that you won't be replacing) but have you put any thought into that at all? Or, perhaps at least let me know what you currently run? :)

    I like these threads ;)

  4. #4
    #Superhuman AOD Member AOD_Tymplar's Avatar
    Rank
    Specialist
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Put together a similar build within that price range with what I would go with:

    Note: Left off the secondary HD (since it showed purchased for $0.00, so I assume you already have this) and didn't add in any extra fans.

    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6CBrzy
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6CBrzy/by_merchant/

    CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ B&H)
    Motherboard: Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($58.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($61.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Superclocked Video Card ($185.30 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $626.24
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-28 23:31 EST-0500

  5. #5
    Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AOD Member AOD_Boba's Avatar
    Rank
    Specialist
    Division
    Battlefront II
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Age
    29
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Tymplar View Post
    Put together a similar build within that price range with what I would go with:

    Note: Left off the secondary HD (since it showed purchased for $0.00, so I assume you already have this) and didn't add in any extra fans.

    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6CBrzy
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6CBrzy/by_merchant/

    CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ B&H)
    Motherboard: Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($58.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($61.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Superclocked Video Card ($185.30 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $626.24
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-28 23:31 EST-0500
    I like this build a lot. If you want to stick closer to your original build I would definitely look for a higher quality PSU like the one Tymplar has listed


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    I have come to terms with the fact that I am cannon fodder. AOD Member AOD_Cyrihs's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Blizzard Universe
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Tecumseh, MI
    Age
    36
    Posts
    587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Boba View Post
    I like this build a lot. If you want to stick closer to your original build I would definitely look for a higher quality PSU like the one Tymplar has listed


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I third the i5 processor, Samsung SSD, and EVGA power supply.

  7. #7
    I have come to terms with the fact that I am cannon fodder. AOD Member AOD_Cyrihs's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Blizzard Universe
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Tecumseh, MI
    Age
    36
    Posts
    587

    Default

    This is what I would do: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3dsm4D

    Went with the i5-6500 instead of the 6400, added a Hyper 212 CPU cooler, and Windows 10.

  8. #8
    Okay, who put a stop payment on my reality check? AOD Member AOD_KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    19
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Omitted HDD as you have already purchased it

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/B3RgRB

    The R9 380 is more powerful than the GTX 960, and a 4GB GTX 960 is not actually going to gain you anything performance wise, as the Memory Bus Width is not large enough to really work with 4GB VRAM. I also threw in a Z170 Motherboard for later upgrades to an i5-6600k.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k Clocked at 4.5 Ghz GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual X OC
    RAM: 32 GB DDR4 Mobo: MSI Z170A SLI Plus
    Storage: 120 GB SSD, 1.7 TB total HDD space Headphones: Sennheiser HD558
    Microphone: CAD Audio u37

  9. #9
    If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! CallMEKoKo's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    California
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Thank you all for your replies. i will respond individually now. thanks

  10. #10
    If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! CallMEKoKo's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    California
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Cyrihs View Post
    What's your budget?
    I would like to stay below $700. More expensive just means longer waiting time.

  11. #11
    If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! CallMEKoKo's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    California
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Tymplar View Post
    Second the "What's your budget" question. If you're flexible by about $200-$300 here, you can make a major bump up in experience.

    I would do what I could to at least go with an i5 when it comes to anything related to gaming.

    I don't see a display listed (assuming you have one that you won't be replacing) but have you put any thought into that at all? Or, perhaps at least let me know what you currently run? :)

    I like these threads ;)
    Hi, yes I would like to try to get an i5. Depending on when I by I might find a sale. Also, I currently have BenQ Gl2460, which is great Atm. I would like to eventually go to 144hz.

  12. #12
    If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! CallMEKoKo's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    California
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Tymplar View Post
    Put together a similar build within that price range with what I would go with:

    Note: Left off the secondary HD (since it showed purchased for $0.00, so I assume you already have this) and didn't add in any extra fans.

    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6CBrzy
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6CBrzy/by_merchant/

    CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ B&H)
    Motherboard: Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($58.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($61.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Superclocked Video Card ($185.30 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $626.24
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-28 23:31 EST-0500
    This is great. I would go with 380 over 960 though.

  13. #13
    If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! CallMEKoKo's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    California
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Cyrihs View Post
    This is what I would do: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3dsm4D

    Went with the i5-6500 instead of the 6400, added a Hyper 212 CPU cooler, and Windows 10.
    I can get windows 10 for cheap (Dad's work). Maybe on the 6500, though I won't need hyper 212 since I won't be ocing with that CPU.

  14. #14
    If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! CallMEKoKo's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    California
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_KaosC57 View Post
    Omitted HDD as you have already purchased it

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/B3RgRB

    The R9 380 is more powerful than the GTX 960, and a 4GB GTX 960 is not actually going to gain you anything performance wise, as the Memory Bus Width is not large enough to really work with 4GB VRAM. I also threw in a Z170 Motherboard for later upgrades to an i5-6600k.
    +1 to all this. Might stay with my original case since it's not for looks at all. Thanks

  15. #15
    If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! CallMEKoKo's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    California
    Posts
    62

    Default

    This is what I gathered from all of your advice. All the higher expense means that it will take longer for me to purchase it all. But I hope it will be worth it. Thank you all.
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ B&H)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($39.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($223.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($46.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Case Fan: ARCTIC Arctic F12 74.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($7.79 @ SuperBiiz)
    Monitor: BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
    Total: $698.71
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-29 16:49 EST-0500

  16. #16
    #Superhuman AOD Member AOD_Tymplar's Avatar
    Rank
    Specialist
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_CallMEKoKo View Post
    This is what I gathered from all of your advice. All the higher expense means that it will take longer for me to purchase it all. But I hope it will be worth it. Thank you all.
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ B&H)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($39.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($223.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($46.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Case Fan: ARCTIC Arctic F12 74.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($7.79 @ SuperBiiz)
    Monitor: BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
    Total: $698.71
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-29 16:49 EST-0500
    Nice, and right on target, too :)

    I think I've only purchased ONE ATI / AMD video card in my life, so I don't keep up much with their product line. I check comparisons every once in a while, but it's been forever since nVIDIA hasn't been at the top of the mountain. I will not deny or argue, however, in that for a lower-end build such as this (I mean that from a price perspective, not dogging the config in any way, shape, or form), the R9 380 may be the better fit in terms of best "bang for the buck".

    Let us know what you end up going with and keep us updated on the build progress :)

  17. #17
    Okay, who put a stop payment on my reality check? AOD Member AOD_KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    19
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_CallMEKoKo View Post
    This is what I gathered from all of your advice. All the higher expense means that it will take longer for me to purchase it all. But I hope it will be worth it. Thank you all.
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ B&H)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($39.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($223.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($46.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Case Fan: ARCTIC Arctic F12 74.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($7.79 @ SuperBiiz)
    Monitor: BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
    Total: $698.71
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-29 16:49 EST-0500
    You shouldn't need a Case Fan, as cases for the most part come with fans. I'd put in a CM212 even if you are not able to OC, as it can reduce your CPU temps anyways, and you can re-use it for pretty much every CPU ever made within the past 5-7 years.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k Clocked at 4.5 Ghz GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual X OC
    RAM: 32 GB DDR4 Mobo: MSI Z170A SLI Plus
    Storage: 120 GB SSD, 1.7 TB total HDD space Headphones: Sennheiser HD558
    Microphone: CAD Audio u37

  18. #18
    I have come to terms with the fact that I am cannon fodder. AOD Member AOD_Cyrihs's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Blizzard Universe
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Tecumseh, MI
    Age
    36
    Posts
    587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_KaosC57 View Post
    You shouldn't need a Case Fan, as cases for the most part come with fans. I'd put in a CM212 even if you are not able to OC, as it can reduce your CPU temps anyways, and you can re-use it for pretty much every CPU ever made within the past 5-7 years.
    Seconded. The Hyper 212 is a great investment if you plan on gaming.

  19. #19
    If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! CallMEKoKo's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    California
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_KaosC57 View Post
    You shouldn't need a Case Fan, as cases for the most part come with fans. I'd put in a CM212 even if you are not able to OC, as it can reduce your CPU temps anyways, and you can re-use it for pretty much every CPU ever made within the past 5-7 years.
    Ok so just switch out case fan for hyper 212? Thanks.

  20. #20
    Okay, who put a stop payment on my reality check? AOD Member AOD_KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    19
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_CallMEKoKo View Post
    Ok so just switch out case fan for hyper 212? Thanks.
    The CM212 is a Heatsink for your CPU, you can't just switch the case fan out for that. What I mean is you should remove the Case Fan from your build, and get a better CPU cooler, aka the CM212. It's roughly a $25 investment that will last you for several years.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k Clocked at 4.5 Ghz GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual X OC
    RAM: 32 GB DDR4 Mobo: MSI Z170A SLI Plus
    Storage: 120 GB SSD, 1.7 TB total HDD space Headphones: Sennheiser HD558
    Microphone: CAD Audio u37


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin By: ForumThemes.com
Top