Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Blutkind's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Blutkind's Attempts at learning Simulator (Air)

Well today after much bargaining and compromises made I managed to convince my wife to allow me to order a new Joystick which should be here tomorrow (Old one is....well.....lets say much loved).
    So on that note, i've decided to spend the next few weeks getting into simulator flying and setting up FreeTrackNoIR.

I figured I would document the whole process so that anyone in the future who decides to try their hand at Sim can read and possibly learn from my mistakes, so I will keep this as a quasi-blog and update content on a daily basis as to the victories and struggles with setting up for sim, learning how everything works, and eventually (hopefully) using my knowledge of realistic to effect in sim and netting me a kill or two.

Failing that, learning how to fly well enough to ram a bomber out of the sky. I'll be happy with that!
    Sonderkommando Elbe!

Save the whales. Collect the whole set SKY_SAMURAI's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Good luck with it mate, can you convince my wife as well ;) We have many members that will gladly help you if needed like bonegoogles and new member the creepy guy he convinced me to give it a try yesterday evening.

May or may not be indecisive zachtac's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

I'll try and follow this goes, just got my joystick out of storage. Good luck may the proppitch be with you

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Blutkind's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

So got my Joystick today and set about getting FacetrackNoIR setup.
    Long story short, much cursing and frustration led to me tossing the idea of this and resorted to using my mouse to look around.

So one problem down.

After doing a quick custom match with a friend, I was ready to take to the skies and attempt to fight.

I was told to put together a 2.0 Japanese lineup and my friend would place us into battle. Little did I know, he had chosen Enduring Confrontation as the battle type.
    So this left me playing sim battles for 360 minutes......my right hand is killing my from fighting with planes that have no elevator or rudder trim (meaning you have to constantly adjust the aircraft to try keep it level).

First thing I noticed, is that I cannot aim to save my life. I think this is more due to sensitivity of the Joystick, so something to sit down and work out before the next battle. At the end of the match, I ended up coming second on the scoreboard with 5,500 points, getting myself 3 player kills and 4 AI.

Things to work on
    • Sitting down and working out FaceTrackNoIR propperly so im not constantly looking at my tail
    • Fine tuning the sensitivity of the joystick
    • Working out the radiator, engine and prop settings properly and their use
    • Making sure I go to the toilet BEFORE entering into Enduring Confrontation

Thats it for now, will update how things go next time

If you ain't makin' waves, you ain't kickin' hard enough! BoomBoomStick's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Blutkind View Post
    • Sitting down and working out FaceTrackNoIR propperly so im not constantly looking at my tail

maybe turn the FaceTrackNoIR around instead putting it backwards on your head might help ??

Danneskjold Repossessions. AOD Member AOD_Danneskjold's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Facetrack is a mess. I'd suggest not using it. Build either a reflective set up, or an IR LED set up, and you'll do much better. I put my LED set up together for $30, including the camera.

Spanakis (another member of this forum) built an inertia tracker set up, and did that for $15.

Any way you cut it, you NEED to build in a large deadzone until you get used to it.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! xtermin8r69's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Blut which joystick did you end up getting? My old one crapped out a very long time and I just recently purchased the cheap Logitech one. Extreme 3d pro. I was thinking of setting the hat stick be able to look around instead of a mouse.