Utter Herecy AOD Member AOD_SpartanCody's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

Default Windows Stability (?)

This problem has popped up a couple times after I thought I had fixed it, so I think it's time I figure out what actually repairs the issue at hand.

Windows 10

There are four main symptoms I can see:

1) TS won't respond to any startup requests, and the error is then reported by S32. Typically fixed by a restart, albeit for only a few sessions.

2) Google Chrome will start, but only after a long (4-10) minute delay

3) Right clicking anything on desktop of file browser will crash Windows Explorer entirely. Often restarts automatically, but if not can be manually restarted using task manager.

4) Certain folders in the file explorer won't display. Specifically I've noted the standard Downloads folder and the Steam folder exhibit this, but there may be others I haven't seen. They will stay on "working" for quite a while until also causing Windows Explorer to crash.

Hayulp

Sent through the extranet tapatalk app with my omnitool

Okay, who put a stop payment on my reality check? AOD_Sterben026's Avatar
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

I know when I leave TS I lose audio then it comes back sounds like a driver being restarted it pisses me off but I manage other than that win 10 has been great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

Note: Folders within the steam and downloads folder (i.e. steamapps) will display without issue. Only the specific folder won't display

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Check your hard drive health.

In windows if you go to computer, then manage, then event logs, windows logs, system (off top of my head, some of this may vary) you should look for Red Disk events. Usually bad blocks. If you have a bunch in a row over several days, time to replace that drive.

Other possibilities include malware, bad power, CPU overheat, bad left mouse button...

Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_z404Error View Post
    Check your hard drive health.

In windows if you go to computer, then manage, then event logs, windows logs, system (off top of my head, some of this may vary) you should look for Red Disk events. Usually bad blocks. If you have a bunch in a row over several days, time to replace that drive.

Other possibilities include malware, bad power, CPU overheat, bad left mouse button...
    This seems to be it, unfortunately. Logs are full of errors from SCM and DCOM. Looks like I'll be backing up some important data and getting a new hard drive.

Thanks a lot!

Don't piss me off! I'm running out of places to hide the bodies AOD_OddJob001's Avatar
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

I had so many issues with windows 10 I can't count. Did a lot of testing with it before it was even RTM

Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_OddJob001 View Post
    I had so many issues with windows 10 I can't count. Did a lot of testing with it before it was even RTM
    I'm not exactly going to get on a train and defend MS, but I think this particular issue was because of Western Digital or my own negligence.