Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Sense of Right League's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Interested in new gaming PC and how to put it together.

Hey folks, I'm thinking about putting some money together to get myself a new PC now that I'm working more hours (And getting mo' dosh). I've been using this site for a while now: http://www.logicalincrements.com/ and think that I want to put together the PC 2nd down in the "Enthusiast" tier builds, maybe with the Silverstone box instead. Any opinions on the parts that I'll be getting?

Also, I've heard that putting together a PC is like assembling a LEGO model... so hopefully that's true so this dummy can put together his first PC! Regardless, newbie videos/resources would be helpful. There are some in this site, but let me know if you found something incredibly useful. Thank you :)

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Boba's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Check out this guys channel. He's very informative and entertaining

https://m.youtube.com/user/Jayztwocents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If you are playing around in the $1600 range, you might want to jump up to ~$1800 and build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XBMCBm. They have good suggestions for starters, but this is a much better build than what they have for Enthusiast. They put too much money into the Case and HDD/SSD. a 250 GB SSD can hold Windows and 4 - 7 games, depending on their size. Then your 1 TB HDD can be used for everything else. An Expensive Case doesn't mean a great case. The Phanteks Enthoo Pro is probably the best bang for your buck on a nice case. If you are willing to spend a bit more, I highly recommend going with 2 Way SLI 980 Ti's with a http://www.amazon.com/Asus-PG278Q-27.../dp/B00MSOND8C That monitor has all the bells and whistles, and would make even a 980 2 Way SLI build be even more awesome.

And, what Boba said about Jayztwocents, I highly recommend him. He has great tutorials and such.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Sense of Right League's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks guys, that PC does look nice. The 750W PSU will be enough for it though? The one I was looking at in Logical Increments was 850W for just one 980. Also some of the reviews of the Crucial-brand DDR4 say that it's not very compatible with much, but I assume this is one you found in the completed builds section so it was tested together already?

I just got a new monitor though so maybe in a while... it's been working well for me: http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-Gaming-Mo.../dp/B007HSKSMI
    It's part of the reason I need to upgrade the PC lol. Went from a 1600x900 monitor to this so everything's running slower than before. I think the PC I have is a little weak on the CPU side, it's only got an AMD-Fx 4100 Quad-core but it has a 860 in it.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Boba's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Sense of Right League View Post
    Thanks guys, that PC does look nice. The 750W PSU will be enough for it though? The one I was looking at in Logical Increments was 850W for just one 980. Also some of the reviews of the Crucial-brand DDR4 say that it's not very compatible with much, but I assume this is one you found in the completed builds section so it was tested together already?

I just got a new monitor though so maybe in a while... it's been working well for me: http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-Gaming-Mo.../dp/B007HSKSMI
    It's part of the reason I need to upgrade the PC lol. Went from a 1600x900 monitor to this so everything's running slower than before. I think the PC I have is a little weak on the CPU side, it's only got an AMD-Fx 4100 Quad-core but it has a 860 in it.
    For sure 750W is plenty. As long as it's good quality. I went with the Corsair RMi750. I'm running a 980Ti. I have a watt meter and the most I ever saw it use was around 450W. The 980 only has a TDP of 165W. You could probably use a 600W with no problems

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Sense of Right League View Post

The build I posted has a power draw of 537W, and at full load, it could probably go up to 600W, so 750W gives you a pretty good buffer. The only reason I didn't put 980Ti Hybrids into that build is because it would make it about 2100 USD.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Newegg has some very helpful step by step videos for PC assembly :)

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AshawTalos's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The physical building of a PC is not that hard. Like I tell many people, if you can put together a simple jigsaw puzzle you can assemble a computer. There are fewer pieces and more ways they can go together and still work. The art is in picking the right combination of parts for your task and getting all of the software & drivers installed and tweaked to work right.

There are plenty of resources out there to guide you through the process. Take your time, pay attention to the little details, and have fun.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Not to hijack the thread - beware of some power supplies. Some spec up to 25% of their rated capacity on the 3.3 and 5V rails. Your primary power usage is going to be on the 12V rails. Beware :)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Just ordered the setup on Newegg, with the exception that I got 2 x 8GB instead of 4 x 4GB RAM so that I have two memory slots left for future upgrades if needed. Very excited!

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Bubblegun40's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Your not gonna need anywhere near 750 watts if your only using 1 980, i have 2 OCd 980Tis and an overclocked 5820k and 850 Watts 80+ platinum is plenty for me.
    Personally i would say a 980 isnt worth it, get a 980ti, or if thats out of your price range a 970, but if it were me i would avoid a 980 at all costs :P their performance per dollar is the same as a titan x (horrendously bad)
    Last edited by Bubblegun40; 04-25-2016 at 03:49 PM.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AshawTalos's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

For me the 980 made more sense vs. the 970 because I plan to keep this machine for 5 years or so and the 970 does have less bandwidth to the last .5 Gig of memory. The extra expense for the 980 was worth it, again in my opinion, just for that future-proofing.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I wouldn't have thought any GPU other than the titan X or 980ti would last you throughout the next five years if your talking about ram and bandwidth. Especially since HBM is coming to NVIDIA cards in pascal

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

are you sure you want to buy a new PC now.. pascal is coming out in like a month. which promises around 1.5x performance of maxwell with less power and smaller form factor.
    however if your set on getting one now, ASUS X99-A, 16Gb Ram, 6700k OR 5820k, 980ti then the rest is up to you. but M.2 SSDs that plug into the PCIE Bus are very good value for money, a 512Gb one will be enough for your OS plus 5+ games, which should be enough for any games that your playing at one time. plus a normal hard drive.
    If you want to overclock much, i would say get some sort of watercooling unit. (for your cpu)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Bubblegun40 View Post
    are you sure you want to buy a new PC now.. pascal is coming out in like a month. which promises around 1.5x performance of maxwell with less power and smaller form factor.
    however if your set on getting one now, ASUS X99-A, 16Gb Ram, 6700k OR 5820k, 980ti then the rest is up to you. but M.2 SSDs that plug into the PCIE Bus are very good value for money, a 512Gb one will be enough for your OS plus 5+ games, which should be enough for any games that your playing at one time. plus a normal hard drive.
    If you want to overclock much, i would say get some sort of watercooling unit. (for your cpu)
    If he's just gaming, an i5-6600k will be plenty fine. Get a good OC'ing motherboard, maybe an EVGA Z170 Classified or something similar. I can agree on the whole Pascal thing though. Apparently from benchmarks the R9 490 is on par with the GTX 980Ti, but those are mere rumors.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

i'm not surprised, although there are also rumors that pascal way outperforms polaris so i guess we will just have to see :P Asus boards are great for OC'ing i have the X99-A and its awesome, took me like 5 minutes to get a stable near 40% OC from 3.3 Ghz - 4.5Ghz
    but yeah you are probably right, i just said 5820k cos its the same price as a 6700k and i looked at that list and it recommended one of the high tier chips. i thought if he was looking for something that high end he would want to do something other than gaming, which is where the 5820k will fly away with the performance. Plus if he's planning on keeping it for a while dx12 promises way better CPU core utilisation so 6 cored might acc make a difference vs 4 cores. (maybe)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

A little too late for that guys. Already put together the PC lol. Just waiting on a Windows 7 disk and an extra SATA cable to hook up my HDD to come in. One question though: I totally forgot to put the thermal paste I bought on the CPU before installing the cooling plate. Is it a really big deal if I'm not planning to overclock my PC? I know everything comes with factory thermal paste nowadays and the manual says nothing about it so I'm assuming I'm good. The problem is that at this point taking off that plate and putting it back on will be rather difficult and I don't want to damage something over a trivial thing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160504_103528.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	130.3 KB 
ID:	23631

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy TekNicTerror's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Well the real question is do you want the paste you bought to go to waste or not?
    And if you just put it together, the whole thing should still be under the 30-60-90 day warrenty at least yes? So go ahead and do it, if something breaks, just say it came that way in a return/exchange (hopefully you still got the boxes they came in thou).