Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Jayson201's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

So Some advice for a broke man starting a youtube channel?

So far, the only video's we've done are poking fun at our buddies gun store. Chop is the one coming up with the ideas, I just keep my mouth shut and stay off to the side for now, because he's the funny one and I'm just not lol.
    Heres one of our videos for anyone interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbEDb_j4Du0
    (Wrote the subtitles in just for the affect of the scream that you can't hear lol)

For now, the equipment I can AFFORD, is my iPhone, and my Webcam. I'm new to this, I don't know where to start, what to get, what to do. So far it's just me and my brother in law dicking around, and me ATTEMPTING to edit (Very minimally, usually just from my phone and within youtube) the videos.

Issue number one is my inability to edit, and not being able to figure out which program to use, because I work for 9$ an hour and have other priorities, I can't afford the good stuff and don't know any decent free programs to use. That means we gotta try to get it in one take. Would be a big help if someone showed me a couple options there so we can do it in 1000 takes and I can toss it together like any other youtuber.

Issue two, limited equipment. I've been looking at decent cheap cameras, and even the decent ones I'm seeing are coming in at 150-200$. The most recent video was rather quiet, probably thanks to the wind. Not sure if there's something I can do about that with editing or not, or if there's a camera with a badass mic or something.

Issue three, I myself don't perform well on camera. I'm awkward, camera shy, nervous. I talk funny (at least I think so). To remedy this, I've come up with a character that just grunts, but for other videos that's no good. I'm a knife collector, doing reviews is rough if you don't talk. Then in half the videos I WANT or TRY to do, I don't know what to say or do. (Been thinking of writing up a draft to go by, a script of sorts, just to keep me on track for when I do some reviews.)

There are probably other issues, but I'm sure theres one of you with alot more experience than me and I would appreciate it extremely <3 I'll even make sure I credit you in my videos, if you want. Y'all are the best, thanks for reading.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_BritishBob's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

1. Aquire Sony Vegas... I wont say how but aquire it.

2. Second Hand. You can get DSLR that do decent footage and fantastic images. If you get a ok second hand lens you get a good overall platform that you can keep for years. Reasonable expense here but you get what you pay for.

3. Gunts could work. With vegas you can put text over the vid. You could basically express yourself through the text with grunts to indicate an anrea of interest or importance.

Practice... Upload a lot. You don't have to make it public but upload.You can get a feel of what works and doesn't work on youtube by uploading privately and viewing that way to get an idea of levels, the camera work, transitions and how the youtube encoder screws with it.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Ellmansworld's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Like BritishBob said get you're hands on Sony Vegas.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! HUMAN1ST1C's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

First and foremost, let me tell you this much, from a professional perspective - if you're serious about it, do everything legit (that means spend money to buy the equipment you need, and don't skimp on gear - make sure you know EXACTLY what you're looking for, and make sure you find it at the best price). That being said, if you're just going to mess around with it, just acquire the software through another means - which there are plenty (make sure you have powerful anti-virus software also).

Figure out what exactly you are doing: Are you doing funny videos? About what? Are you doing a show? What is it about? If you're just doing random, mess-around videos, then no one is going to really be interested - but that's where a lot of people start also.

Adobe offers monthly plans for their products now by the way, so basically you could use a legit, virus-free copy of Adobe Premier for 10-15 bucks a month.

As far as cameras go, start with a Nikon D600 or D7000. They are good entry-level cameras, but also used by a lot of professionals still because of their versatility (buddy of mine just finished filming a documentary with one, and it looks fantastic).

DON'T SKIMP ON GEAR - save money, get a 2nd job, do what you need to, but don't skimp on gear because it's a bad habit to get into. Your gear is an investment, and you wouldn't invest of a POS would you? 'Nuff said.