Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue zug42O's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default GPU issues not sending a signal

ok so I did a new build (mobo,psu,case,ram and hardrives) but I kept my cpu and gpu cause they where running flawlessly but all my other stuff was giving me issues (my house got hit by a power surge and messed up the psu and mobo) but now when I go to turn my pc on I can tell everything is loading fine but the gpu wont send a signal to my monitor unless I take it out and reseat it(no not while its powered on), so does this mean its going out or is there a different problem (if you need more info ill try my best) and sorry about the vagueness of my descriptions I am horrible about putting things into writing

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Bubblegun40's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

It sounds to me like its a problem with the Mobo rather than the GPU, is this the same mobo that got hit in the power surge?
    get a surge protector, will stop thinks like this happening :P
    try forcing a restart (holding down the power button) then starting the computer again, do that two or 3 times, My computer doesnt start for no apparent reason sometimes and doing a force restart twice in a row seems to fix it for some reason. So that might work with you....
    If I'm right getting a new Mobo should fix the problem.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AshawTalos's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Maybe try clearing the BIOS? Could be some issue with a BIOS setting being corrupted or something. Shouldn't hurt anything and just costs a little time.

Knee High to a Worms Ass AOD_Blarg's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Does your mobo have integrated graphics? It's rare but I have seen a couple instances where the discrete graphics while installed are not being detected by the BIOS as the primary graphics device. You might check and see if there is a setting in your BIOS that controls which graphics adapter is used. On Intel mobos for example there is usually an integrated graphics device option in the peripherals section, with settings like "enable if primary", "always enable", and "always disable". I would recommend "always disable", and see if the problem continues.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! HUMAN1ST1C's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Reset the BIOS before you start.

Basic diagnostics to start - always start with the basics.

-Plug the monitor into the other DVI input(s) on the GPU (check all inputs).

-If nothing, then check the cable on a different computer to make sure the cable is functioning correctly.

-Next, check the compatibility of the GPU/Mobo - does the mobo support Nvidia & AMD? One? Both? These things matter.

You're trying to get the GPU working - continue diagnosing it. If possible, try installing it into another computer (and see if you can get your computer working without it - if it does, it's the GPU, if not, keep diagnosing).

It is very possible the power surge did in fact affect the GPU - sometimes these things aren't noticeable until a few weeks or months after (it's happened to me with GPU's and other hardware).

If this has happened once, it may happen again - you ABSOLUTELY NEED TO DROP CASH ON SURGE PROTECTION AND/OR an uninterruptable power supply (UPS)

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue zug42O's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

alright so after trying it in a different rig that I have I have found out that yea its the gpu going out, symptoms where exactly the same I think just the years of abuse and the power surge have finally started to do it in and yea its a new mobo, every thing was new but the cpu and gpu so I have decided to upgrade and replace my dear old 7950 with a 380x nitro thank you guys for trying to help though