Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AOD Member AOD_pyle986's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Blizzard Universe
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    NY
    Age
    31
    Posts
    105

    Default Stupid Windows 10

    So, my computer just decided to go and install Windows 10 on its own...never told it to, ever. Anywho, now that it fully installed Windows 10, I now cannot connect to the Internet. Anyone have any suggestions?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Okay, who put a stop payment on my reality check? AOD Member AOD_KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    19
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_pyle986 View Post
    So, my computer just decided to go and install Windows 10 on its own...never told it to, ever. Anywho, now that it fully installed Windows 10, I now cannot connect to the Internet. Anyone have any suggestions?

    Thanks!
    Is your computer a prebuilt or did you build it yourself? If you built it yourself, then look for Drivers for your Motherboard/Wi-Fi Adaptor. If it's a Prebuilt/Laptop... It's either 50/50 of Drivers exist, or your screwed. Windows 10 itself isn't the cancer/plague everyone thinks it is, and it's completely safe. It's also much better in terms of memory and CPU usage than Windows 7 or 8 or 8.1. So you might even see a boost in gaming performance, if only by a slight margin.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k Clocked at 4.5 Ghz GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual X OC
    RAM: 32 GB DDR4 Mobo: MSI Z170A SLI Plus
    Storage: 120 GB SSD, 1.7 TB total HDD space Headphones: Sennheiser HD558
    Microphone: CAD Audio u37

  3. #3
    Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AOD Member AOD_pyle986's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Blizzard Universe
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    NY
    Age
    31
    Posts
    105

    Default

    My build...and it's not so much a hate for Windows 10. Just that it literally installed on its ow . I stepped away after an Overwatch crash for a minute and it was on the screen saying do not turn off your computer....sigh

  4. #4
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Outerfuel's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Age
    27
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Yeah there are a few nasty updates that they pushed out in past that download the whole installation as an update.

  5. #5
    "Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 AOD Member AOD_Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Specialist
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    US
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_pyle986 View Post
    My build...and it's not so much a hate for Windows 10. Just that it literally installed on its ow . I stepped away after an Overwatch crash for a minute and it was on the screen saying do not turn off your computer....sigh
    Microsoft literally gag's, bounds, and forces Windows 10 down peoples throats. I get a god-damned notification at every startup, and it stays running in the background. Ive upgraded and reverted twice, both times I HATED it. Its got all kinds of software incompatibilities, bugs, etc. Every 1 in 3 people I talk to have some kind of really odd(Usually they are the only person experiencing it) Software compatibility bug, or issue within the OS. You should be able to revert back to Win8/8.1. Ive forgotten how you do it, but I think they give you like 30 days before it locks you into Windows 10(Which is shitty). Check this link from MS Support page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-or-windows-81

  6. #6
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Outerfuel's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Age
    27
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Grady666 View Post
    Microsoft literally gag's, bounds, and forces Windows 10 down peoples throats. I get a god-damned notification at every startup, and it stays running in the background. Ive upgraded and reverted twice, both times I HATED it. Its got all kinds of software incompatibilities, bugs, etc. Every 1 in 3 people I talk to have some kind of really odd(Usually they are the only person experiencing it) Software compatibility bug, or issue within the OS. You should be able to revert back to Win8/8.1. Ive forgotten how you do it, but I think they give you like 30 days before it locks you into Windows 10(Which is shitty). Check this link from MS Support page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-or-windows-81
    There is a couple ways you can block these notifications, but it requires editing your registry. Don't do this if you're not comfortable with editing your registry and realize that I'm not responsible for any mistakes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sk0UwKx.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	23960

    This key and dword do exactly what it looks like. Disables any OS upgrades from windows update.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\
    1. Create a Key (folder) called WindowsUpdate.
    2. Create a DWORD Value named DisableOSUpgrade
    3. Assign the newly created DWORD a value of 1


    This key and value disable the annoying popup in your system tray that you can upgrade to Windows 10.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\
    1. Create a Key (folder) called Gwx
    2. Create a DWORD Value named Disable
    3. Assign the newly created DWORD a value of 1
    Last edited by Outerfuel; 05-24-2016 at 09:52 AM.

  7. #7
    "Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 AOD Member AOD_Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Specialist
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    US
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Outerfuel View Post
    There is a couple ways you can block these notifications, but it requires editing your registry. Don't do this if you're not comfortable with editing your registry and realize that I'm not responsible for any mistakes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sk0UwKx.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	23960

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\WindowsUpdate
    1. Create a Key (folder) called WindowsUpdate.
    2. Create a DWORD Value named DisableOSUpgrade
    3. Assign the newly created DWORD a value of 1


    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\WindowsUpdate
    1. Create a Key (folder) called Gwx
    2. Create a DWORD Value named Disable
    3. Assign the newly created DWORD a value of 1
    I know you can edit the Registry. My reply's contents come more from my extreme dissatisfaction with not only the Quality/UI of Windows 10, but the fact that you even need to go to those lengths(most people wont, and they know that, thats malicious marketing if you ask me) is upsetting to me. I dont know how others feel.

  8. #8
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Outerfuel's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Age
    27
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Grady666 View Post
    I know you can edit the Registry. My reply's contents come more from my extreme dissatisfaction with not only the Quality/UI of Windows 10, but the fact that you even need to go to those lengths(most people wont, and they know that, thats malicious marketing if you ask me) is upsetting to me. I dont know how others feel.
    Completely understand and relate to your frustration. We got blindsided with the pushes on our domain at work. Didn't know if you knew about it since it's happened to you twice, thought I'd help out if you're trying to avoid it anymore :)

  9. #9
    "Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 AOD Member AOD_Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Specialist
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    US
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Outerfuel View Post
    Completely understand and relate to your frustration. We got blindsided with the pushes on our domain at work. Didn't know if you knew about it since it's happened to you twice, thought I'd help out if you're trying to avoid it anymore :)
    Yea, I need to be a little more transparent when I make reply's like that. I appreciate the help though. Sorry if I came off the wrong way! O-o

  10. #10
    Okay, who put a stop payment on my reality check? AOD Member AOD_KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    19
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Grady666 View Post
    I know you can edit the Registry. My reply's contents come more from my extreme dissatisfaction with not only the Quality/UI of Windows 10, but the fact that you even need to go to those lengths(most people wont, and they know that, thats malicious marketing if you ask me) is upsetting to me. I dont know how others feel.
    I've never had any issues with Windows 10's UI. It feels like a better looking Windows 7. And, I've only had 1 hardware issue and that's with my Laptop not having proper driver support for Windows 10 on it's Wi-Fi adaptor, so my internet speed ONLY at home is super slow. Ethernet and other Wi-Fi networks run just fine. It's only the Home Wi-Fi that is slow. Probably the weirdest issue i've ever encountered.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k Clocked at 4.5 Ghz GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual X OC
    RAM: 32 GB DDR4 Mobo: MSI Z170A SLI Plus
    Storage: 120 GB SSD, 1.7 TB total HDD space Headphones: Sennheiser HD558
    Microphone: CAD Audio u37

  11. #11
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Outerfuel's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Age
    27
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_KaosC57 View Post
    I've never had any issues with Windows 10's UI. It feels like a better looking Windows 7. And, I've only had 1 hardware issue and that's with my Laptop not having proper driver support for Windows 10 on it's Wi-Fi adaptor, so my internet speed ONLY at home is super slow. Ethernet and other Wi-Fi networks run just fine. It's only the Home Wi-Fi that is slow. Probably the weirdest issue i've ever encountered.
    Troubleshooting wifi is the worst. I do know if you have a b/g/n wifi router/AP and you have older devices running on the 2.4GHz it'll slow down any faster wifi devices. That and check to see if any other wifi in your area is on the same channel, I use an android app called Wifi-Analyzer for free.

  12. #12
    Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AOD Member AOD_pyle986's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Blizzard Universe
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    NY
    Age
    31
    Posts
    105

    Default

    So, for my issue, I should find a way to download the Windows ten LAN drivers for my mobo?

  13. #13
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Outerfuel's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Age
    27
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_pyle986 View Post
    So, for my issue, I should find a way to download the Windows ten LAN drivers for my mobo?
    Yeah, look up your manufacturer's website and model of motherboard. They should have up-to-date w10 drivers for your board. You'll want Chipset, LAN, and Audio drivers updated.

  14. #14
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Glorious Gibs's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    OK, USA
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Outerfuel View Post
    Completely understand and relate to your frustration. We got blindsided with the pushes on our domain at work. Didn't know if you knew about it since it's happened to you twice, thought I'd help out if you're trying to avoid it anymore :)
    God, I feel your pain. As soon as I had heard about the forced updates, I threw together a GPO and killed that crap at its source. Unfortunately, at the time I scrambled to get the policy going, it appeared that the Win10 upgrade media is still there, so we have the equivalent of a 4 GB doorstop just sitting on user machines, which really aggravates me.

  15. #15
    Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! HUMAN1ST1C's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    94

    Default

    YOU could be next...heh heheh hehehehehehehe

  16. #16
    If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! AOD Member AOD_iceman29's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Warframe
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    St.kitts
    Age
    31
    Posts
    72

    Default

    you cant really run from it it has a count down on it now that it automatically updates it happened to some of my co workers windows 10 isn't all that bad has some very interesting features but its only a mixer of windows 7 and 8.1 together

  17. #17
    Can I have your Tots Shaitlord's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Balkan, Macedonia, Skopje
    Age
    21
    Posts
    17

    Default

    delete it. Pirate win7 if you have to. Vista10 is not for Gaming uses.

  18. #18
    Okay, who put a stop payment on my reality check? AOD Member AOD_KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    19
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Shaitlord View Post
    delete it. Pirate win7 if you have to. Vista10 is not for Gaming uses.
    I saw 5 - 10 FPS increases in games going from 7 to 10. It's lighter on the RAM and CPU than 7 was.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k Clocked at 4.5 Ghz GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual X OC
    RAM: 32 GB DDR4 Mobo: MSI Z170A SLI Plus
    Storage: 120 GB SSD, 1.7 TB total HDD space Headphones: Sennheiser HD558
    Microphone: CAD Audio u37

  19. #19
    Knee High to a Worms Ass jayhump's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Age
    31
    Posts
    7

    Default

    https://www.grc.com/never10.htm


    Very small, very effective removal tool.

  20. #20
    Knee High to a Worms Ass jayhump's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Age
    31
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Should've clarified, removal tool for the updater and the update files, I don't think it's meant for systems where the OS has already installed.


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin By: ForumThemes.com
Top