Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jarek_Avanti

Default Looking for Graphics Card Upgrade Recommendations

I'm planning to upgrade my graphics card in the next month or so and would like some recommendations from the AOD community.

My current specs:
    AMD FX-6100 processor
    MSI 970A-G46 mainboard
    16 GB DDR3 memory
    nVidia GeForce GTX 650
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 910 W PSU

My budget is in the $300 (USD) range and I would like to stick with nVidia, but am willing to entertain AMD suggestions. Let me know what the rest of you think.

JA

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_BritishBob's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

Keep honking. I'm reloading AOD Member AOD_Das_Qrow's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

I've got a 970 on ebay for 210 but we're not supposed to sell stuff on here so forget i said that lol.

But anyway a 970 would do nicely for just about everything, I was doing pretty well at 1440p before I got my 1080. A brand new 1070 is way over your budget currently. AMD RX480 Also looking to be a nice newer card but we don't have full details yet.
    Meep Meep

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? ShadowCube's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Stay with NVIDIA, It is hard to pick out what is better or different between models in the ways of AMD stuff. But as a side-note, your processor isn't the best. If you can wait until 2017, get a AMD A4 Zen Processor or get a AMD A3 FX-9370 FX-Series 8-Core for extreme gaming or AMD A3 FX-8350 (Lower priced, not much difference between FX-9370 or FX-8350) Now back to GPU (Graphics Card)

GeForce GTX 970 or GeForce GTX 960 , Staying above 950 is the best option. If you stretch your budget for a good GPU; GeForce GTX 970 Ti or GeForce GTX 980

AMD's; XFX Radeon R9 390 (R9-390P-F28M) 8192MB PCIe Gen 3.0 at $300 or XFX Radeon R9 390X (R9-390X-8DFG) 8192MB PCIe x16 Gen 3.0 at $325-340

Your GPU is just as important as your CPU (unless you play PlanetSide 2, 95% of time it uses CPU)

Respectfully
    -Shadow (Cube)
    Last edited by ShadowCube; 06-19-2016 at 10:52 PM. Reason: The Force Awakened

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Sidious_SithLord's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I kept my GTX 970 from my old computer and put it in my new one since it does great in every game I've played and saved me from getting a new graphic card. Its about 2 years old now and still no issues with it. I think they are in the $300 range. My first card was the GTX 650 and your going to see a massive change if you go to the 970.

"Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Before upgrading your graphics card, Id highly recommend upgrading your CPU/Motherboard. The reason I say this is because with a FX-6100(Or really any AMD CPU for that matter), your not going to get the best possible performance than you can out of a 970, Or even a 960.

Heres an Intel Skylake i5-6400, and An ASUS Z170 MB that I chose along with it(you can pick any HI70/Z170/B-Series chipset board, this is just what I considered to be the best value for your money):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...64&ignorebbr=1($189.99) [CPU]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...91&ignorebbr=1 ($105.99) [MB]

Total: $295.98 W/ 4-7 Day shipping

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Guard's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Grady666 View Post
    Before upgrading your graphics card, Id highly recommend upgrading your CPU/Motherboard. The reason I say this is because with a FX-6100(Or really any AMD CPU for that matter), your not going to get the best possible performance than you can out of a 970, Or even a 960.

Heres an Intel Skylake i5-6400, and An ASUS Z170 MB that I chose along with it(you can pick any HI70/Z170/B-Series chipset board, this is just what I considered to be the best value for your money):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...64&ignorebbr=1($189.99) [CPU]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...91&ignorebbr=1 ($105.99) [MB]

Total: $295.98 W/ 4-7 Day shipping
    Agree 100% the Zambezi Set of chips have a huge bottleneck even with midrange cards

An 8350/8370 with a decent OC can run a 980 and thats pretty much the ceiling for AMD, the 9xxx series isnt even worth looking at with that wattage footprint however i wouldn't suggest someone upgrade from a 6xxx series to an 8xxx series its not the same gain in the long run as a i5 is, but budget constraints can factor into this as well

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Icon2

Quote Originally Posted by Guard View Post
    Agree 100% the Zambezi Set of chips have a huge bottleneck even with midrange cards

An 8350/8370 with a decent OC can run a 980 and thats pretty much the ceiling for AMD, the 9xxx series isnt even worth looking at with that wattage footprint however i wouldn't suggest someone upgrade from a 6xxx series to an 8xxx series its not the same gain in the long run as a i5 is, but budget constraints can factor into this as well
    Id stray away from AMD Processors/GPU's at all costs at this point, lets see how their upcoming Zen Architecture pans out. Honestly, I hope Zen puts AMD back where they need to be, and is a huge hit: For all our sakes. Whether we like AMD or not, AMD is still Intel's primary competition in the Consumer Processor scene, without AMD, Intel could justify just about any price they want. But I also wont recommend or buy a product thats not up to par with all the other current CPU's/GPU's on the market.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy TekNicTerror's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Just save up for the 1070, they are only around 450 bucks.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AshawTalos's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I 2nd saving for the 1070, unless the prices for the 980 take a nose dive...in that case you'll probably be satisfied with the 980.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_AshawTalos View Post
    I 2nd saving for the 1070, unless the prices for the 980 take a nose dive...in that case you'll probably be satisfied with the 980.
    Nah, if your not getting a 1070, then it should be 980 Ti or 1080.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

But Grady is also right, you need a better CPU (and MB for it), an i5 or i7 chip.

If you're not also upgrading the CPU, you dont really need to upgrade the GPU.

Can I have your Tots Eviscerator's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Getting a graphics card will definitely improve your experience, however to get the full potential of your card, you should upgrade to a better CPU. It is up to you whether the relatively small gains in fps is worth the money.

Can I have your Tots Eviscerator's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

(disclaimer) I'm not familiar with AMD CPU's or chipsets, so i don't know how much this CPU will bottleneck you rig. There are lots of places online that will help you see if your CPU is going to massively bottleneck a new graphics card.

Knee High to a Worms Ass Giggahurts's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Rx 480?

To be honest I'd reccomend checking out the RX 480 when it drops on June 26th (aftermarket non reference cards will probably come a week or so after). Rumors say it overclocks like a beast and just seems absolutely unbeatable for the money.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Eviscerator View Post
    Getting a graphics card will definitely improve your experience, however to get the full potential of your card, you should upgrade to a better CPU. It is up to you whether the relatively small gains in fps is worth the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Eviscerator View Post
    (disclaimer) I'm not familiar with AMD CPU's or chipsets, so i don't know how much this CPU will bottleneck you rig. There are lots of places online that will help you see if your CPU is going to massively bottleneck a new graphics card.
    Assuming hes using a 990FX Or 970-Based board, YES. It will be a huge bottlekneck.

** Both have SB970 Soutbridges, a 8+ YEAR OLD SB Chip, even though SB is mainly responsible for Communication between all 3rd-party and IO-Related IC's + Hardware Interrupts, it still speaks volumes that they have a platform out there still currently supported by a 8+ Year old SB

I didn't take Steroids...Honest WHOAPONY's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Need to upgrade cpu and mobo first. Yeah, if you got a better gpu you would get better performance, but you would bottleneck your rig. For $300 you can get something like an i5 4590 with a z97 msi or asus mobo. This will be about $40-$60 over budget, but it is the next logical step in upgrading your rig. You can get the price down by waiting for sales and using rebates (duh but just a tip).
    Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! R6L84F3J's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

As far as video cards go, I currently have a 970 SOC and this card will run any at 1080 and very detailed graphics. I will be upgrading soon to twin AMD RX 480's. Don't believe all the AMD haters out there. Much coolaid has been drunk. Also the Polaris architecture switch is the largest jump in tech progress the industry has seen in a while.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_R6L84F3J View Post
    As far as video cards go, I currently have a 970 SOC and this card will run any at 1080 and very detailed graphics. I will be upgrading soon to twin AMD RX 480's. Don't believe all the AMD haters out there. Much coolaid has been drunk. Also the Polaris architecture switch is the largest jump in tech progress the industry has seen in a while.
    Speaking of Kool-Aid... ;)

And besides, it's incredibly easy to say that, "AMD has made the largest jump in GPU tech that the industry has seen in a while...." when the starting point is incredibly sub-par, then you release a semi-decent product :)

Joking aside...and yes, I'm an nVIDIA "fanboi" (owned ONE ATI card in my entire life back during the original days of the "GPU Wars"), interested to see in person and hands on (not some staged demo...the same thing nVIDIA did with the GTX 1080 launch, so they both do it) how a single 8 GB RX 480 compares head to head against a single GTX 1080.

It doesn't matter how you try to spin it marketing or benchmark wise...if it takes TWO 8 GB RX 480s to "beat" a single GTX 1080 (I don't care that it's "more balanced"), then you're still losing.

Jarek_Avanti

Thank all of you for your replies. After reading through the comments and doing some research, I think I will put the money towards a new MB and CPU.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast