If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? The Bacon Man's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Considering getting a new laptop or computer.

So I have been using my laptop for gaming for a while now and I feel it just doesn't cut it. Most games I keep everything in the settings at the lowest possible so I can play (ARK is one example) though even then I still get issues.
    I am now considering buying a new laptop, desktop, or even trying out building one myself. So just want to hear suggestions on what would be best for me to get. By the way, I am not a tech savvy guy so a bit of explanation on why I should get whatever you are suggesting would be awesome.
    Also for anyone wondering about the games I play, the ones I usually play are:
    ARK
    Dota 2
    Minecraft
    GTA
    Skyrim
    Payday 2
    Portal
    Most of the Command and Conquer series
    Warcraft 3
    And have recently gotten Star Citizen

To add, I don't need something extremely amazing, I just need functional and preferably not too expensive.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy TekNicTerror's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I suggest cyberpowerpc.com if you wish to buy from a website/store online, they seem to be the cheapest one I've ever seen so far and also have a large amounts for options for the PC or laptop, and they seem to have a sale going on just about all the time. If you do use them, I do suggest you do it during a sale or bonus extras time of their's; they'll prolly have a good sale around July 4th.

If you want total customization for it, then go pcpartpicker.com and start a build, or look for other's builds. You can do the research on parts yourself or ask us here for advice or choices on parts; always can do both too.

Then when you got the whole PC set up on that build; then you can buy the parts yourself and make it yourself; there are plenty of sites with how to's for building; but I do suggest you link whatever you are using to help you build here for advice from us; there are plenty of people here that do their own building, so they could point out any bad/outdated info on them, and give more detailed info if needed as well, or links to better sites. Or you could take your build to a PC custom shop in your area and have them build it; for the cost of the parts + whatever they charge for the building (also could go ahead and buy the parts and get them to take to the shop, but shops may also be able to get parts cheaper or have parts already). Also keep track how much the parts would cost you if you bought them yourself and see if it is cheaper for them to buy the parts instead of you (ex: they say the PC will cost you 1500 total and the labor cost was 100 [so 1400 just for the parts]; but your cost tracking put the total for you buying all the parts at 1250, kinda means they are using a more costly supplier or they are trying to rip you off; so you can either point out you could get the parts cheaper yourself or ask if they do building for people who come in with the parts already [aka, you buy the parts yourself and bring them into the shop when you got them all]; or find another PC shop).

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AshawTalos's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

One of the guys I raid with in SWTOR just got a new machine through Cyberpower and he's very happy with it. Probably a good place to start shopping if you don't plan to build your own.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Guard's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Not sure if im allowed to post in general chat or not but

I just built my new gaming rig after having issues of being tired of my laptop just not cutting it for anything gaming i built mine from scratch but if you follow Tek's advice which is good advice Cyber builds quality machines, if you wanna lower the initial price point you can actually use cuttingedgegamer.com like i did and saved the initial price point of all my parts and picked up a 980 strix for 58 a month for a 12 month lease, yeah ill over pay but the option to buy it on the 13th month for just a single payment and upgrade anytime and its under there RMA the entire time you are under the lease i found it a good option and got a quality card which allowed me more money for other key parts to the PC

I didn't take Steroids...Honest WHOAPONY's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Building will be cheaper than buying. Can't recommend it enough.
    If you do decide to build, a few things to watch out for is to not cheap out on power supply, don't bottleneck your system (have a crazy good cpu but terrible gpu or vice versa), and take all the hype for new parts with a grain of salt. New pc components come out multiple times a year. Go with what is smart and what you can afford.

This is not the Bandu you're looking for. Bandu's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

One thing that you mentioned that alerted me a bit is Star Citizen. Star Citizen will be a pretty intense game, it already is. Just keep that in mind when buying/building your PC. As far as buying, I myself prefer building, because you can custom pick exactly your needs, colors, stats and configuration. You also save a bit of money when building, and the process is fun, kinda like putting lego blocks together haha. Anyways, hope this little bit helps you.

"Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Bandu View Post
    One thing that you mentioned that alerted me a bit is Star Citizen. Star Citizen will be a pretty intense game, it already is. Just keep that in mind when buying/building your PC. As far as buying, I myself prefer building, because you can custom pick exactly your needs, colors, stats and configuration. You also save a bit of money when building, and the process is fun, kinda like putting lego blocks together haha. Anyways, hope this little bit helps you.
    Thats what I tell people, Building PC's is the equivalent of adult Lego's

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Guard's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Grady666 View Post
    Thats what I tell people, Building PC's is the equivalent of adult Lego's
    and for some reason you end up with a mountain of boxes that somehow all fits inside a rather small box in comparison lol

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? The Bacon Man's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'm definitely leaning more towards a PC and looking around to see where I can get the pieces from if I go with building my own. Just wondering what kind of specs should I be looking for or what parts should I consider getting that would get me a PC capable of running the games I listed above? Like I said, I'm not a tech savvy guy so I really don't know exactly what you need in a PC to make it suitable for games.

"Oh great, here comes Captain Dipshit in a LAV" - Pyle986 Grady666's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_The Bacon Man View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys, I'm definitely leaning more towards a PC and looking around to see where I can get the pieces from if I go with building my own. Just wondering what kind of specs should I be looking for or what parts should I consider getting that would get me a PC capable of running the games I listed above? Like I said, I'm not a tech savvy guy so I really don't know exactly what you need in a PC to make it suitable for games.
    Id be more than happy to assist
    you with that tomorrow

Sent from the OG-100X Mobile Satellite Communication Hub

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy TekNicTerror's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_The Bacon Man View Post
    Check all the system requirements for those games and make a list to go off of.
    Like for RAM for example, if four of the games say 8 GB RAM and then you find one saying 16, then put 16 GB RAM down on your list (PS, even if they all say 8 GB RAM, go with 16 anyway, better for everything (not just gaming) unless you just can't afford it)