Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Ak_Lance View Post
    Well, I tried all of the recommended fixes and unfortunately nothing (including the BIOS update). Neither card will load up (1070 & 970). Might just find a new motherboard, any suggestions? Would like to get a nice gaming-based board that's gonna have some longevity. While I'm at it should I upgrade the processor (same criteria as motherboard)? Looking for high quality and very good performance.

I haven't totally ruled out putting together a pc through cybepower pc or someone like that (don't choke me guys). I know some of you would rather wizz into the wind before paying someone to build your pc. Got a lot of reading and research to do.
    I'd recommend to stick with ASUS or MSI boards. They are more durable and better built. Can't miss with ASUS boards. Had experience with ASUS for 15 years and never was disappointed with them.

If budget is not an issue then get a new CPU other than that the CPU still should be good for a while. When you get a board just make sure CPU fits in the socket. You could go with X99 chipstet motherboards, i.e. ASUS SABERTOOTH X99
    Last edited by ZED; 07-18-2016 at 09:08 PM.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Ak_Lance's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hey Zed, I must have been going after the BIOS update wrong. I figured out how to do it but got this message when I used the .exe:

Unsupported 16-Bit Application
    This program or feature
    "\??\C:\Users\Wayne\Documents\mb_bios_ga-up4_v1.0f7\Efiflash.exe"
    cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit version of windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hey Zed, I must have been going after the BIOS update wrong. I figured out how to do it but got this message when I used the .exe:

Unsupported 16-Bit Application
    This program or feature
    "\??\C:\Users\Wayne\Documents\mb_bios_ga-up4_v1.0f7\Efiflash.exe"
    cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit version of windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.
    Are you doing it in Windows through app? That is the most insecure way to update BIOS.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I was going to use the @ BIOS utility since I cannot find one of the 30 flash drives I know we have in the house. The current BIOS on my motherboard is F2, the most recent BIOS update is F7.....

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I was going to use the @ BIOS utility since I cannot find one of the 30 flash drives I know we have in the house. The current BIOS on my motherboard is F2, the most recent BIOS update is F7.....
    Try to find a flash drive and do it in BIOS through Flash Utility. Never ever do it in Windows. I once fried BIOS like that and had to replace it.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Just finished the update using @BIOS and it worked like a charm. BIOS version now F7 where as it was F2 before. Going back to get the GTX 1070 tomorrow and see if it will work now.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Just finished the update using @BIOS and it worked like a charm. BIOS version now F7 where as it was F2 before. Going back to get the GTX 1070 tomorrow and see if it will work now.
    Good stuff! Fingers crossed!!!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Success!!!! GTX 1070 up and running full on! Updating mother board bios did the trick.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Icon14

Success!!!! GTX 1070 up and running full on! Updating mother board bios did the trick.
    Awesome!!! Enjoy your GTX 1070!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hey AK! First, let me say I'm glad to find another healthcare worker in AOD, I am a nurse myself (I do geri/psych in a smaller facility). I wanted to tell you, I may have realized one thing about your settings that may fix the issue. Depending on how your display adapter is setup in BIOS, you may have it set so it isn't configured properly for the "type" of card you're using. Go into your BIOS settings and check your display/display adapter settings. Look for "primary" or "first display" and make sure that the settings are correct. If you have the option for PCI versus PEG, try switching it over to "PEG" as that will set in the BIOS to recognize the card as PCI Express. For the most part you can't really break anything by changing around one graphics option in the BIOS until you find something that works. But so long as the fans are spinning on the 1070 and 970 when you plug them in, they're likely getting power (whether or not it's the correct voltage, who knows). But from the sounds of it not executing past BIOS, it sounds like your display adapter settings in BIOS aren't correct. Likewise, you can also try reinstalling the 660 and going into windows "Device Manager" and removing the drivers for the 660. Then reboot the computer and try changing the BIOS settings, as it may be trying to use bad drivers for the 970/1070. I wouldn't blame hardware just yet, check your settings first before spending a bundle.

Good luck, I hope this works for you!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thank you very much for the advice Jutty, I actually finally got it working thanks in part to all the fine folks out here willing to help a clueless bloke like me out. :) These guys are the bomb! It seems my motherboard BIOS was wicked out of date (last update was when it came out of the box in 2012). I hadn't run into any issues so no reason to update it until I got the 1070 (not that I knew to do that anyways). I went from version F2 to F7 and all became right in the world, 1070 zipping through max graphics setting in every game I got now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12