I took an IQ test and the results were negative ShockTrooperz103's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Overclocking issue

Ok so I have a Z170-K asus motherboard, 6700K i7, 2400Mhz 16G (2*8) ADATA ram, and a windforce 980ti by gigabyte. However I dunno what exact power supply I have (the build was a Christmas gift). I want to overclock, but for some reason I have to reboot 1 or 3 times on the ez bios overclock every time. Any other adjustment just does not work at all. Any help is great.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ShockTrooperz103 View Post
    Ok so I have a Z170-K asus motherboard, 6700K i7, 2400Mhz 16G (2*8) ADATA ram, and a windforce 980ti by gigabyte. However I dunno what exact power supply I have (the build was a Christmas gift). I want to overclock, but for some reason I have to reboot 1 or 3 times on the ez bios overclock every time. Any other adjustment just does not work at all. Any help is great.
    What are you trying to overclock and how do you overclock? Be more specific. There are multiple ways how to overclock in BIOS EZ Overclock.

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? ShadowCube's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Save the changes?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

ez tuning wizard. Which reads 103 BCLK, 45MHz ratio (more like 46 with BCLK), 41X Cache Ratio, .60 core voltage, and .950 VCCIO voltage from AI Suite 3. Wizard says its a 1.360V overclock. Plus it bumps ram up 4%. I have no ram issue, but that may help. I'm just wanting to do the CPU mainly.

Keep honking. I'm reloading AOD Member AOD_Das_Qrow's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Does the computer eventually boot with the settings without issue? Rebooting like this is an indicator of the motherboard attempting an overclock and it failing (reboots until able to or defaults.) Power supply could be an issue depending on what is being changed vs how much the unit is able to put out. A unit with just enough headroom for stock won't be able to overclock or sustain a stable overclock. Using an online psu estimator it shows I require 30 extra watts on my supply for my current overclock / voltage, more if I go higher. But I have 2-300 watts on average headroom on my supply. It is normally recommended you have +100w over what you normally use at load, most OEM or pre built machines come a lot closer to that max without the headroom so anything more won't work. If you could check the unit and find any stickers saying what it is that would help you out a bit to determine whether its cpu (that can't overclock well), or not having enough power.

It being a K version processor, I would hope they put in a good power supply to allow it to overclock or else it makes no sense to have put it in. Alternatively your chip may not overclock, or your boards auto settings suck and you should look up guides to do it manually (you can't hurt it unless you really crank up the voltage, a good guide will tell you what the absolute max is.) For the 6700k 1.52v from intel is the max recommended (cooling pending) I wouldn't go anything over 1.45v on an all in one or air unless you had a really decent cooler.
    Meep Meep

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I can later on today. I have a shrowd so I have to take it out. I got to go to work.

Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Ok, well it looks like you're running at 4.6ghz. If its working for you and stable that may be all your board can squeeze out of it on its auto settings, boards generally use adaptive voltage so it may get hot as it is pulling more than necessary, if thats the case set a static voltage and drop it down until it won't boot then bump it up a notch so its stable and you are cool. It may also be the chips limit. Mine won't go over 4.7 without stupid voltage that im not willing to pump into it.
    Meep Meep

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ShockTrooperz103 View Post
    ez tuning wizard. Which reads 103 BCLK, 45MHz ratio (more like 46 with BCLK), 41X Cache Ratio, .60 core voltage, and .950 VCCIO voltage from AI Suite 3. Wizard says its a 1.360V overclock. Plus it bumps ram up 4%. I have no ram issue, but that may help. I'm just wanting to do the CPU mainly.
    Here is how I overclock in the Extreme Tweaker ASUS BIOS and works like a charm:
    Set XMP Profile for the RAM
    BCLK Frequency 100.00
    CPU Core Ratio: Sync ALL
    Core Ratio Limit: 42 which is 4.2Ghz for my i5 6600k
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20160720_172810.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	24996

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

well I pulled it out. I have some custom 600W power supply.

Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Ah the recommended system wattage for a 980ti is 600W for the nvidia model so they literally gave the bare minimum for the system. Whch, like I said its a shame because you have hardware that can easily do more and its gimped. The gigabyte unit might be pulling more due to self boosting so thats a little more power there. I would recommend changing that out to a corsair or evga unit or another good or well reviewed brand. They should have 10y warranties, I would recommend at least 750w or more if you want to OC. No guarantees on how far you can go but that PSU is destined for early problems. Granted you're not always pulling 600w but if you were ever to max out your system the PSU may or may not be able to handle it as we don't know what it is.

Not to say you can't get some overclocking out of it you technically just don't have any extra headroom.
    Meep Meep