Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? JochemWok's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default MSI Laptop! What do you guys think!

MSI GL62 6QF-632NL

Name:  Forum.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  1.4 KB

Model name: Gaming Series GL
    Colour: Black
    Processor Name: Intel® Core i7-6700HQ
    Processor Cores: Number 4 cores
    Type: Skylake
    Clock speed: 2600 MHz
    Express Chipset: Intel® HM170
    Total Memory Capacity: 8 GB (including 8 GB of built-in)
    Max. supports 32GB DDR4 (of which 32 GB removable)
    Type: DDR4 (2133 MHz)
    Slots: 2 memory slots available which occupies one memory bank
    Picture Display: 39.6 cm (15.6 inches)
    Resolution: 1,920 x 1,080 pixels
    Aspect Ratio: 16: 9
    Feature: Non-Glare
    Detailed: Full HD LED
    Graphics type: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960m
    Total Memory: 2048 MB
    V integrated Ram: 2048MB
    Storage Number: 2
    Total capacity: 1128 GB
    Hard drive 1: 128 GB (SSD)
    Hard disk 2: GB 1000 (, 7,200 rpm)
    Optical Drive Type: Internal CD / DVD
    Reading format: CD-R, CD-RW, DVD + R DL, DVD + R, DVD + RW, DVD-R, DVD-R DL, DVD-RW
    Write CD-R, CD-RW, DVD + R DL, DVD + R, DVD + RW, DVD-R, DVD-R DL, DVD-RW
    Camera Type: 720p HD Webcam
    Sound System: 4.0 Channel
    Sound Ship: Nahimic Audio
    microphone available
    Card reader: SD, SDHC, SDXC
    Connectivity: LAN LAN 10/100/1000 MBit / s
    WLAN 802.11 a / ac / b / g / n
    Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.0
    Input Keyboard: Steelseries Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse: Multi-Touchpad
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-Bit (OEM)
    External interfaces: 1x line in, 1x line-out, 1x Mini DisplayPort, 1x HDMI, 1x RJ45, 1x USB 2.0, 2x USB 3.0, 1x USB 3.0 C
    Power Battery Power: 6 Cell Lithium-Ion
    Features Kensington Lock
    Warranty: 24 months
    Weight: 2300 grams
    Dimensions Width: 383 mm x Height: 29 mm x Depth: 260 mm
    Accessories: AC Adapter

I bought this laptop for school not for the ultimate gaming experience, therefor I got my Desktop PC XD
    I'm going to study Computer Sience, that is why I bought this laptop for al the programming.
    What do you guys think!!!

Keep honking. I'm reloading Cele's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Damn, looks very nice

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

MSI laptops are pretty good. Have one 17" from GP70 series, which I use for work and have another 15" laptop that also use for work. Very durable and easy to maintain. Also, have 3 more at the company that my coworkers use and none had any issues or whatsoever.

I studied computer networking and technical support and used my ASUS G72 gaming laptop and MacBook Pro Mid 2012 to do all my labs and projects. So yeah, this MSI will do pretty good since it has a very good CPU. Also, you can still play some games on it on the breaks :-) Something what I was doing in a lab class when I was bored since I was very fast in doing all my labs and hand them early :-) While others were still doing their labs I was playing Battlefield 3

The only drawback you will experience with this laptop is low battery life. Also, I might actually recommend MacBook Pro for school, since you will study computer science.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

That laptop is overkill for programming. I'd suggest a lighter laptop with a better battery life, maybe even an ultrabook.

As for the brand itself, I've used both MSI and Asus ROG gaming laptops before - personally I prefer Asus ROG as their builds feel sturdier vs the MSI. The MSI feels like cheap plastic (the two I've used), but it still performs so other than the feel it's a good brand.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Zikeji View Post
    That laptop is overkill for programming. I'd suggest a lighter laptop with a better battery life, maybe even an ultrabook.

As for the brand itself, I've used both MSI and Asus ROG gaming laptops before - personally I prefer Asus ROG as their builds feel sturdier vs the MSI. The MSI feels like cheap plastic (the two I've used), but it still performs so other than the feel it's a good brand.
    Yeah, MSI case feels cheap plastic but inside it has monstrous hardware compared to ROG. Although, I love both brands. Both have pros and cons. I think MSI and ASUS are two best brands producing laptops.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZedZedski View Post
    Yeah, MSI case feels cheap plastic but inside it has monstrous hardware compared to ROG. Although, I love both brands. Both have pros and cons. I think MSI and ASUS are two best brands producing laptops.
    I also haven't done much research / personal testing, but the cooling on the ROGs is significantly better than on the MSI. All I can remember is no lap usage with the MSI - I felt like I could cook on the bottom of it! ROG on the other hand vents everything out the back and the heat piping seems much better in keeping the heat away from the user-facing components.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I also haven't done much research / personal testing, but the cooling on the ROGs is significantly better than on the MSI. All I can remember is no lap usage with the MSI - I felt like I could cook on the bottom of it! ROG on the other hand vents everything out the back and the heat piping seems much better in keeping the heat away from the user-facing components.
    True! However, new MSI laptops have improved in cooling. And that's why I said both have pros and cons :-) Overall, both are best gaming laptops.

Keep honking. I'm reloading AOD Member AOD_Das_Qrow's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

The 960m has roughly 1/2 the performance of a 970m but since that's not what you're after then 1k for an entry level 'gaming laptop' that you're mainly using for school it should be fine. That being said there are cheaper 960m options such as the inspiron 7559 from dell which starts at 749 and has a 4gb version of the 960m and while considered mediocre the 2gb bump does help.

MSI are good but if you're looking to save money especially if you already have a beast and want an off hand computer I would have given the dell a gander, it's pretty well reviewed. Im not biased towards any brand but its one of the best deals.

That being said I have a i3 xps13 for my off hand computer just for movies and general stuff. It's quick enough since I don't need on the go gaming power.
    Meep Meep

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? ShadowCube's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I am sad to say that this laptop would beat my main desktop (I know, it is sad) How much did you pay for it?

Sent from my nuclear fusion reactor

Keep honking. I'm reloading AOD Member AOD_Das_Qrow's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

You may think it's sad but if you can enjoy yourself on it then there is no problem. You can work your way to a day you can afford a beast computer lol.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Cele View Post
    Damn, looks very nice
    Thanks!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

MSI laptops are pretty good. Have one 17" from GP70 series, which I use for work and have another 15" laptop that also use for work. Very durable and easy to maintain. Also, have 3 more at the company that my coworkers use and none had any issues or whatsoever.

I studied computer networking and technical support and used my ASUS G72 gaming laptop and MacBook Pro Mid 2012 to do all my labs and projects. So yeah, this MSI will do pretty good since it has a very good CPU. Also, you can still play some games on it on the breaks :-) Something what I was doing in a lab class when I was bored since I was very fast in doing all my labs and hand them early :-) While others were still doing their labs I was playing Battlefield 3

The only drawback you will experience with this laptop is low battery life. Also, I might actually recommend MacBook Pro for school, since you will study computer science.
    Yea I allready bought the MSI Laptop, but yea I understand the low battery life, it last 3 hours.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yea, the only problem that I got with this MSI is the battery life. And the cheap plastic I understand. But I like what is in the laptop :P

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yea I agree, the hardware I really like!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The cooling system is really improved, it will never overheat again with this system.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

True! However, new MSI laptops have improved in cooling. And that's why I said both have pros and cons :-) Overall, both are best gaming laptops.
    Yup agree!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Qrow View Post
    The 960m has roughly 1/2 the performance of a 970m but since that's not what you're after then 1k for an entry level 'gaming laptop' that you're mainly using for school it should be fine. That being said there are cheaper 960m options such as the inspiron 7559 from dell which starts at 749 and has a 4gb version of the 960m and while considered mediocre the 2gb bump does help.

MSI are good but if you're looking to save money especially if you already have a beast and want an off hand computer I would have given the dell a gander, it's pretty well reviewed. Im not biased towards any brand but its one of the best deals.

That being said I have a i3 xps13 for my off hand computer just for movies and general stuff. It's quick enough since I don't need on the go gaming power.
    Yea I understand, but I also bought such an expensive one, because I want to use it for 4 years. So I didn't want to save money to buy a new one in about 2 years.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ShadowCube View Post
    I am sad to say that this laptop would beat my main desktop (I know, it is sad) How much did you pay for it?

Don't be sad it is no problem, you will be better than me some time. (I bought this laptop to use it for 4 years so that is why I bought this one) I paid 1099 Euro's

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Qrow View Post
    You may think it's sad but if you can enjoy yourself on it then there is no problem. You can work your way to a day you can afford a beast computer lol.
    Yup I think so too, just be happy with what you have, and wait for the day that you can buy your own. It will feel awesome!

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? ShadowCube's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

My desktop was $700 USD. From Dell. (When you research computers for your parents and forget that you need a gaming PC not a workstation)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast