Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! ColossalGyro's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default GTX 970 model video cards are 100% refundable if purchased through Amazon

Hello every!

Z3ROFR0ST here with some pretty awesome news for you gamer's who purchased a NVIDIA GTX 970 model (of any brand) video card. Recently, consumers won a class action lawsuit against NVIDIA that was targeted at the 3.5GB VRAM issue that the card was in my opinion, defected with from the factory. Meaning that the card was advertised as 4GB VRAM but in fact only 3.5GB were available and the remaining VRAM actually slowed the cards performance due to it being separated from the main pool of memory. Ok, so enough of the tech talk and on to the awesome news for those who purchased this card from Amazon, and do keep in mind this is limited to Amazon, or else you would have to take similar steps with the distributor you purchased your cards from and see if they will honor it. So on to the good stuff.

So today (July 30th, 2016) i went on a live chat for my nephew who i had purchased this card for back in February 2015. That's right, it was purchased back February of 2015, over 1 year ago. I spoke with the Amazon CSR and at the end of the conversation, i was awarded 100% refund of my video card's original purchase value as either a gift card or refunded to original payment. So why is this awesome?? Well because now this gives you ALL your money back to put towards a needed upgrade to a GTX 1070 which the fastest model (EVGA GTX 1070 FTW) sells for $459.99. My nephew paid $381.56 and that is the amount that will be refunded and will be available to make a new purchase. Doing the math, that means for $106.00 he will now be upgraded to a far superior product. Keep in mind you could get a cheaper version of the GTX 1070 as i am using the EVGA GTX 1070 FTW model as an example. Am i guaranteeing this will work 100%? No. I wish i could say yes, but i am sure some of you will come across a CRS that will not comply or be helpful, which means you must try again with another CSR or be transferred to a Supervisor. Below i have attached a link to the GTX 1070 brands along with my chat transcript with the CRS from Amazon in hopes to better help you, if you decide, to follow the same path to a great upgrade for a 25% of the cost. Let us know what results you get. Also, I could help you through the live chat via Teamviewer and do the chatting for you since i am pretty good at getting what i want from customer service representatives.

Link to GTX 1070 models of your choosing: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...words=gtx+1070

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I heard that they will refund only $30

Keep honking. I'm reloading AOD Member AOD_Das_Qrow's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

I think it really got out of proportion. Sure maybe they shouldn't have gone about it that way but the card did have 4gb with a slower .5gb just to make it a 4gb card that had very little noticeable performance hit on the card. I had one since release and had no problems with it. I'll take my $30 because that is how these things work.
    Meep Meep

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

NVIDIA will give you $30 if you choose to keep the card. But if you exercise your rights to a refund because of false advertisement, you could get 100% refund if you made your purchase from Amazon and put all that money into a superior card if you have $70-$100 to put towards the difference.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Correct, if the game you are playing does not access that last .5GB of VRAM, then yes no issue. BUT, a very big BUT, newer games that require more VRAM, like BF1 does because of larger textures, will attempt to access that last .5GB of VRAM. Where the issue arises is the VRAM, which is allocated separately from the first 3.5GB, so when that last .5GB comes into play, it slows down the other 3.5GB of VRAM making your game have graphics lag and you will hear a buzzing sound from your card ( I personally experienced this). The option to return this for a full refund and pay a $70-$100 difference to upgrade to a FAR superior product with 8GB of fully accessible VRAM is a no brainer because the 970 model has reached its peak performance for current generation of games. Why not get ahead and not need another upgrade for 2-3 years for a small price right? I for one think it is 100% worth the return and upgrade if your wallet allows it.

I took an IQ test and the results were negative Glorious Gibs's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

That's really tempting, honestly. I was really aggravated by this issue, but I decided to wait and see what comes of it.

I bought the card day 1 and I'm no stranger to being bitten in the ass by early adoption, but nothing that was as blatantly disingenuous. The results of the lawsuit has brought back up that old feeling of being scammed. Is it whiny? Sure, but maybe the fallout of this whole thing will make hardware vendors think twice about attempting something like ever again.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Z3ROFR0ST View Post
    NVIDIA will give you $30 if you choose to keep the card. But if you exercise your rights to a refund because of false advertisement, you could get 100% refund if you made your purchase from Amazon and put all that money into a superior card if you have $70-$100 to put towards the difference.
    Where do you get this info? Link plzz

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

im doing this now actually . they didn't give me any issues at all . didn't even really ask why or for proof . i just said it was advertised as 4gb buy 3.5 and they were like that's messed up so here is a label and ill make a note for 100% refund , and im a few months outta my return window also.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZedZedski View Post
    Where do you get this info? Link plzz
    Hey Zed,

You could actually just google it. It is all over the internet. Just google NVIDIA 970 lawsuit or refund and you will see. But if you purchased from Amazon, i would look into a 100% refund if you have like $70-$100 to spare to pay the difference for the 1070, which i can promise you will be good for the next 2-3 years. It has 8GB VRAM as well and it is all accessible.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_jinxbart View Post
    im doing this now actually . they didn't give me any issues at all . didn't even really ask why or for proof . i just said it was advertised as 4gb buy 3.5 and they were like that's messed up so here is a label and ill make a note for 100% refund , and im a few months outta my return window also.
    That's good news jinx... Share your chat transcript as well if you feel comfortable. Just make sure to scribble out any personal info or web links to shipping labels and whatnot

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

here is my chat log for the return and refund .

Spoiler

Hello,

Here's a copy of the chat transcript you requested:

Initial Question: return for 100% refund
    08:03 PM PDT Sikkandar(Amazon): Hi Bartolo , my name is Sikkandar from Amazon Chat Support.

08:03 PM PDT bartolo ramirez: HI
    08:03 PM PDT Sikkandar: Bartolo, could you please elaborate your concern?​

I thank you for being a Prime member.

08:04 PM PDT bartolo ramirez: yes i bought a graphics card and im trying to see if i can get a full refund .
    08:05 PM PDT Sikkandar: May I know the reason for the return?
    08:05 PM PDT bartolo ramirez: im being told people are being able to return them because of the incorrect advertisement saying that they are 4 gb but actually 3.5
    08:06 PM PDT Sikkandar: I'm really sorry to hear about this, Bartolo.
    MSI Computer NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 Graphics Card

Right?
    08:06 PM PDT bartolo ramirez: yes
    08:08 PM PDT Sikkandar: Thanks for confirming. I see that the return window has been expired on March 31, 2016. However to make this correct and to help you in return the item, I'll make an exception and help you in create a return mailing label for the item.
    Will that help you?
    08:09 PM PDT bartolo ramirez: yes that would be great
    08:09 PM PDT Sikkandar: Thanks for your understanding, Bartolo.
    Would you like me to arrange a Pick up or drop off to return the item?
    08:10 PM PDT bartolo ramirez: drop off would be better
    08:10 PM PDT Sikkandar: Thanks for the clarification.
    Here is the link for the return mailing label:

08:11 PM PDT Sikkandar: Please use the link to print the label.
    Is that okay with you?
    08:11 PM PDT bartolo ramirez: yes that will work . so how dose the return and refund process work
    08:13 PM PDT Sikkandar: Once the carrier has received your package, it can take up to two weeks for us to receive and process your return. If in case, if you charge for the return shipping. There is no need to be worry. I'll help you in make a note that not to charge for return shipping.
    08:14 PM PDT Sikkandar: So that you're welcome to contact us and our representative will help you in refund the return shipping fee.
    Next representative will able to see my note on your order.
    Will that help you?
    08:15 PM PDT bartolo ramirez: so when its returned i will contact you guys to get a refund
    08:16 PM PDT Sikkandar: Once the item delivered to us we'll process the refund for the refund and send you a confirmation email regarding the refund.
    08:16 PM PDT bartolo ramirez: ok awsome that will work great
    08:16 PM PDT Sikkandar: Since I've made a note you'll get a full refund for the item,
    08:17 PM PDT Sikkandar: Thanks so much for your understanding and believing me, Bartolo.
    08:17 PM PDT bartolo ramirez: thanks so much . yes all this will work great for me
    08:17 PM PDT Sikkandar: I'm glad I was able to help! You are welc​ome! Its has been a pleasure assisting you today. Is there any​thing else I can assist you with today?

08:18 PM PDT bartolo ramirez: nope thats it. is their a certain amount of time i have to mail this back by or can i mail it out in about a week.
    08:20 PM PDT Sikkandar: There is no need to contact us, Bartolo. Since I made a note on you order I request you to return the item as soon as possible.

08:20 PM PDT bartolo ramirez: ok
    08:22 PM PDT Sikkandar: We process the refund as soon as possible once the item deliver back to us.
    08:22 PM PDT bartolo ramirez: ok awsome
    08:22 PM PDT Sikkandar: Thank you for contacting Amazon. Have a great day! Please click on the "End Chat" to close this window. Take care! Bartolo :)

Thank you.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Z3ROFR0ST View Post
    Hey Zed,

You could actually just google it. It is all over the internet. Just google NVIDIA 970 lawsuit or refund and you will see. But if you purchased from Amazon, i would look into a 100% refund if you have like $70-$100 to spare to pay the difference for the 1070, which i can promise you will be good for the next 2-3 years. It has 8GB VRAM as well and it is all accessible.
    All I found that Amazon is refunding 20% not 100
    And I already have GTX 1070

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

one thing is they are most likely not gonna openly admit they are 100% refunding 970s , And honestly i just asked if i could get a full refund because i heard it was possible . and they were like yes we will no issue we will 100% refund to fix this issue . I didnt even really say i was having that issue. so who knows might just be one of those freak events .

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Zed, they are giving 100% refunds. I have been able to get a refund and now so has Jinkbart. Amazon is aware of the legal issue that surrounds this. So they rather refund you 100% so you buy another item from them, while they send the 970 back to NVIDIA as a defect replacement and not lose money by giving you 20% back and being out of the product.

Keep honking. I'm reloading Cele's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Such a shame. Bummer I bought my 970 from NewEgg :(((

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Cele View Post
    Such a shame. Bummer I bought my 970 from NewEgg :(((
    Newegg i believe is giving 10% back or you could try to return for refund citing false advertising

I've updated my privacy policy AOD Member AOD_Nozama's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...suit-over-ram/

Amazon won't be covering 100% for long
    "You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."
    Plato

I've updated my privacy policy AOD Member AOD_Nozama's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

That means for every card they refund 100% on and pay for return shipping to Amazon they can possibly resell (unless it's ancient and dirty and then not worth it because you're not sure how hard it's been abused) for far less than they paid wholesale for it less the $30 Nvidia might credit them. On top of that they pay the CSA's and the FC employees to handle the card on it's way in and back out if they do sell it again.
    "You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."
    Plato

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Users on Reddit’s PC forums are reporting that the online retailer is still offering a 20 percent refund on at least some GTX 970 purchases, similar to what it offered users in February 2015

http://www.pcworld.com/article/31017...0-refunds.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast