Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Troubleshooting Computer Error

So please spare the long winded explanation, I am trying to fix an issue with my computer and am at my wit's end. I would appreciate any assistance.

The issue is as follows:

While playing a video game (any 3D application), at seemingly random intervals, my monitor screen goes black followed by one of two things:

1. The screen resets, everything continues on as normal (I used to get notification from the nvidia control panel "recovered from a driver error.")
    2. The screen stays black, the audio makes a hard crash noise (like a high pitch squeal) and the monitor says "No input selected." I have to force restart my computer.

Scenario 1 has been going on for about 6 months, scenario 2 started happening about 2 months ago. I used to encounter the issue only while playing Planetside 2, however I recently started experiencing it in Warframe so I do not think it is application specific.

My system temps are ok: CPU temp 40c/55c (idle/load). I recently cleaned my case which did lower my temps but the issue continues.

I have changed my graphics settings in Planetside 2. Even on low settings I still experience issues.

My rig is 3 years old:

i5-3570k
    GTX 770
    16gb ram
    Win 7 64bit
    Corsair Gold PSU (can't remember wattage but its higher end).

I don't know which if any crash logs would provide any assistance with diagnostics.

My assumption is that I have a failing compnonent such as the GPU, CPU, or PSU. I would like to identify the culprit but lack any idea of how to do so other than replacing components until the issue resolves. Would rather save time and money and hope that one of y'all can provide some input.

Thank you for your time.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Are you OC'ing the GTX 770? It sounds like an unstable OC, overheating, or defective hardware. Do you have software to view the temperature of the card itself? I would monitor the temperature around when it crashes.

But honestly, if you haven't OC'd it and this issue has been going on for 6 months - it may be time for a new GPU. Definitely look into the temperature vector though.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I am not OCing the GPU. I just installed the EVGA client so that I can track the temp.

Are there any programs that can stress test a GPU? See if a particular component on it is faulty?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I had that issue on Windows 10 with my GPU, it's because NVIDIA's full of lazy fucktards not doing optimization for Windows 10, downgrade your driver to a previous version and see if issue is resolved, also i would check is everything okay with DVI, HDMi or DisplayPort cable, dependent on which one you use.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You most likely just updated your drivers and your gpu doesn't like the last driver version you upgraded to. You can try using 359.00 nvidia drivers. It seems to work the best for your 770. I recommend using DDU to uninstall your current driver first. As always, create a system restore point before you do any of this.

Edit 1: You can use FurMark to stress test your GPU.
    Last edited by Flipnotic; 08-10-2016 at 10:59 AM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_SqU4D3Nn View Post
    I had that issue on Windows 10 with my GPU, it's because NVIDIA's full of lazy fucktards not doing optimization for Windows 10, downgrade your driver to a previous version and see if issue is resolved, also i would check is everything okay with DVI, HDMi or DisplayPort cable, dependent on which one you use.
    Are you saying that the newer drivers added win10 support but messed up win7 specific components? Wouldn't surprise me.

I use HDMI. I do not think the cable is part of the issue though since the computer itself is hard crashing.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I experienced the same issue you were talking about, it went along the lines:

''Graphical drivers stopped working, but they recovered.''

But before the message would display, screen would either flicker for some time, or go completely out, and recover and display the aforementioned message. But it was during 359.1 driver update for Nvidia GeForce 610 GT, could be that they missed this one up as well. Also, keeping drivers up to date isn't always a best idea, sometimes drivers are screwed up and version before was better then, for example, current version. Could be the same problem that you are having trouble with

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

As guys already mentioned, try older drivers. If the problem persists check if the GPU is properly sitting in the PCI-E slot.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The older drivers seem to have stopped the hard crashes. The driver error screen flicker remains.

I am content with that and knowing the issue is the GPU. I will buy a new card when I can set aside the money.

Thank you all for your assistance troubleshooting.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Criggles's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Download MSI Afterburner and check the GPU Temps/Usage when you are gaming. Usually driver crashes are a sign of unstable clocks. I have had those frequently while trying to OC my card and running various benches (Heaven, 3DMark) etc. If your temps are getting high, you can set a custom fan curve in MSI Afterburner to help with temp issues. Personally 80C is where I draw the line even though the actual max temp. limit from Nvidia is in the 90's.

If your temps are still high and you have some basic experience with electronics/building PC's, you should be able to remove the entire cooler off the card and replace the thermal paste. Just make sure to apply it properly and do not lose the thermal pads that are making contact with VRM's. If done properly, you'll likely see a fairly large drop in temperatures.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have been monitoring my GPU temps with the program provided by my card maker. I have not really seen high temps (+70c). I've experienced driver errors at levels as low as 45c. The good news is no more hard crashes.