Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Stock Air cooler Failure

Greetings Everyone,

I just got my computer from the movers having just got back from Iraq. It looks like the plastic links that hold it to the motherboard let loose and it went spinning around on its journey. I don't see any apparent damage. The only thing that was malformed was the aircooler itself. YAY for small cases that don't let things move around.

So my question is, i put the metal back in the plastic housing, is it worth using this cooler or should I just buy a new one?

Respectfully,

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I think some of the aluminum fins are bent, so i'm not sure i should risk using it?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Any thoughts or suggestions in this ? The chip is a https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Their is limited space in the mini itx build

Newegg results
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...14%20600482734

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

other than that fin there it all looks to be ok ? can i just put it back together with out having problems later on ?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Darkn3ss F4lls View Post
    other than that fin there it all looks to be ok ? can i just put it back together with out having problems later on ?

I mean, yeah technically it would still probably work - but it would be less efficient because of the bending/warping. Getting a CPU cooler depends on your use, you have a"k" processor - which means it overclocks well. If you don't overclock, then basically any generic CPU cooler will work fine.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus122 View Post
    I mean, yeah technically it would still probably work - but it would be less efficient because of the bending/warping. Getting a CPU cooler depends on your use, you have a"k" processor - which means it overclocks well. If you don't overclock, then basically any generic CPU cooler will work fine.
    ok awesome, thank you :)

Keep honking. I'm reloading AOD Member AOD_Das_Qrow's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

It should work fine but in general a K series processor shouldn't be using the stock heatsink past normal clocks (they don't ship with them anymore)
    Since you are on mITX here are 2 good low profile options, noctua is great.

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Premiu...profile+cooler

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Low-Pr...profile+cooler
    Meep Meep

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Qrow View Post
    It should work fine but in general a K series processor shouldn't be using the stock heatsink past normal clocks (they don't ship with them anymore)
    Since you are on mITX here are 2 good low profile options, noctua is great.

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Premiu...profile+cooler

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Low-Pr...profile+cooler
    Thanks, i don't over clock so no worries there my temps have been great even in iraq. These look great, I did go ahead and buy a replacement stock though.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck AOD Member AOD_Weakness's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Diablo
    Status
    Active

Even without overclocking I always recommend a good aftermarket cooler. The added cooling keeps your load temps under 60C which should limit throttling down. And it makes me feel good. That being said, the fins don't look too bad. I'd use it till I got an upgrade. Just make sure the fins on the fan itself aren't damaged and run it with the case off at first to make sure there isn't any weird vibration that will damage the fan completely causing no cooling what-so-ever.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Weakness View Post
    Even without overclocking I always recommend a good aftermarket cooler. The added cooling keeps your load temps under 60C which should limit throttling down. And it makes me feel good. That being said, the fins don't look too bad. I'd use it till I got an upgrade. Just make sure the fins on the fan itself aren't damaged and run it with the case off at first to make sure there isn't any weird vibration that will damage the fan completely causing no cooling what-so-ever.
    Thanks, do you think this was some kind of failure with these plastic pins or a mistreatment by the shipping company

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! King_Tact's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

More than likely mistreatment as we have some old dell computers here at work that are going strong with those factory intel coolers and there about 4 years old now. With the clips are broke and the fins bent on the cooler definitely looks like some mistreatment.

Also agree with the Noctua coolers or even a cryorig cooler. Even without overclocking the lower your temps the longer your CPU will last.
    Heat is number one killer of electronics. This is why cleaning out fans and filters are always a positive.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck AOD Member AOD_Weakness's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Diablo
    Status
    Active

They probably laid it down on the wrong side and the bouncing around in a container popped it out. I wouldn't get bent out of shape but it wouldn't hurt to let them know they weren't careful with it (maybe they'll do something for you). I've seen those clips before where one wasn't seated correctly from the manufacturer so it's hard to blame the shipping company completely without knowing. Either way, I'd almost look at it as they did you a favor and persuaded you to buy a better cooler. :)