If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? PandaTantrum's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Overclocking Failed??

So the strangest thing happened today....

I was playing some OW and suddenly my game and then my PC froze, the only thing I could do was do a hard restart. When the PC booted back up it gave me a error "Overclocking Failed" and "Press F1 for Setup". I had my PC built for me and know nothing about Overclocking so I turned it off and called a friend - he wasn't sure an asked me to turn it back on and read him everything it said, but this time my PC started perfectly. No problems at all.

What could have been the cause of this and should I be worried? Or was it just a weird one off occurrence?

Cheers
    Panda

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_PandaTantrum View Post
    So the strangest thing happened today....

I was playing some OW and suddenly my game and then my PC froze, the only thing I could do was do a hard restart. When the PC booted back up it gave me a error "Overclocking Failed" and "Press F1 for Setup". I had my PC built for me and know nothing about Overclocking so I turned it off and called a friend - he wasn't sure an asked me to turn it back on and read him everything it said, but this time my PC started perfectly. No problems at all.

What could have been the cause of this and should I be worried? Or was it just a weird one off occurrence?

Cheers
    Panda
    Unstable BIOS

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZedZedski View Post
    Unstable BIOS
    It's either this, or its something to do with your CPU Voltage or your RAM Voltage and speed. So you might want to do some changes in your BIOS

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Time's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If you're using a UEFI Bios, it typically auto-overclocks any compatible chipsets (i3/i5/i7 range). If your PC crashes due to any Kernel problems, the BIOS will automatically cancel the overclock settings. This will show up on boot with "Overclocking Failed" after any crash.

Basically, just reboot again and it'll re-clock back to its normal frequency. You don't need to worry about it unless it's happening several times a day :)