Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Icon4 Optimizing PC for better gaming performance

Title says it all!

What do I need to do to get the best possible performance while gaming?

I'm not only looking at GPU settings, but any settings that might help.

I play Overwatch the most with a few hours of PUBG and World of Warcraft.

Any tips / suggestions would be appreciated

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I would suggest making sure your CPU cores are unparked first of all. It depends on the type of CPU you have but often times hex/octa cores will have 2+ “parked” cores and it can slow down gaming performance.

This article has a download link at the bottom, I’d skim through it for instructions: http://coderbag.com/Programming-C/CP...ing-manager-v3

I’d then possibly find a program that shuts down unnecessary applications automatically. Before I got a new CPU I would use a program called Razer Cortex to shut down a ton of useless programs and free up like 1GB+ of ram.

razer cortex: https://www.razerzone.com/cortex

One last thing that I do is change my windows timing clock to my platform clock. Basically, windows uses an internal clock that assists with timing events such as syncing audio and video. If it is out of whack for whatever reason, this desync in lips and voices can happen or sometimes stuttering in games.

You can disable this clock and change it to your platform clock by opening command prompt as an administrator (search "cmd" on the windows start menu, right click cmd and click "run as administrator") and then pasting in this line:

bcdedit /set useplatformclock true

Then just restart your PC.

This is 100% safe and if for whatever reason you need to change it back to the windows clock, just change "true" to "false".

These are the three major things I do anytime I reformat or build a new PC. Basically just sets up your PC to be ready for gaming.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Manny7's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_incoN View Post
    I would suggest making sure your CPU cores are unparked first of all. It depends on the type of CPU you have but often times hex/octa cores will have 2+ “parked” cores and it can slow down gaming performance.

This article has a download link at the bottom, I’d skim through it for instructions: http://coderbag.com/Programming-C/CP...ing-manager-v3

I’d then possibly find a program that shuts down unnecessary applications automatically. Before I got a new CPU I would use a program called Razer Cortex to shut down a ton of useless programs and free up like 1GB+ of ram.

razer cortex: https://www.razerzone.com/cortex

One last thing that I do is change my windows timing clock to my platform clock. Basically, windows uses an internal clock that assists with timing events such as syncing audio and video. If it is out of whack for whatever reason, this desync in lips and voices can happen or sometimes stuttering in games.

You can disable this clock and change it to your platform clock by opening command prompt as an administrator (search "cmd" on the windows start menu, right click cmd and click "run as administrator") and then pasting in this line:

bcdedit /set useplatformclock true

Then just restart your PC.

This is 100% safe and if for whatever reason you need to change it back to the windows clock, just change "true" to "false".

These are the three major things I do anytime I reformat or build a new PC. Basically just sets up your PC to be ready for gaming.
    Thanks for the feedback!

Will try this and hopefully it'll be a difference !:)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Manny7 View Post
    Title says it all!

What do I need to do to get the best possible performance while gaming?

I'm not only looking at GPU settings, but any settings that might help.

I play Overwatch the most with a few hours of PUBG and World of Warcraft.

Any tips / suggestions would be appreciated
    I would suggest by starting to optimize your OS. I wrote a post a while ago but it still was not stickied: https://www.clanaod.net/forums/showthread.php?t=180580

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue TheDarkFlame's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

did i miss something or is there no specs?

i would write down your specs and OS aswell ass anny background apps you have running while gaming. it depends alot on your setup if you can do anything to improve realy

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

RAM 8 GB

CPU: Intel Core i5 7500 @ 3.40GHz

GPU: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME H270-PLUS (LGA1151) (Temp. is at 120 C according to my Speccy program.... whats wrong?)

Window 10 Home 64bit.

Only apps running in background is TS, Steelseries APP and battle.net.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZED View Post
    I would suggest by starting to optimize your OS. I wrote a post a while ago but it still was not stickied: https://www.clanaod.net/forums/showthread.php?t=180580
    That link isn't opening for me

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

That link isn't opening for me
    That's odd cause it's a ClanAOD forum link. Try again or go to page 2 in Computers, Software and Tech Support section and find this article: Guide: How to make Windows 10 run smooth and not worry about updates

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

RAM 8 GB

CPU: Intel Core i5 7500 @ 3.40GHz

GPU: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME H270-PLUS (LGA1151) (Temp. is at 120 C according to my Speccy program.... whats wrong?)

Window 10 Home 64bit.

Only apps running in background is TS, Steelseries APP and battle.net.
    HDD or SSD?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by aod_zed View Post
    hdd or ssd?
    ssd

Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector effectiv's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Optimizing PC for better gaming performance

ssd
    Depending on what games you’re playing, 8gb may not be enough.

The 1050ti is a decent budget card, but it will not be playing most AAA games at ultra. At least not at decent FPS.

Follow zeds post. There are loads of other things you can do on top of this, such as changing the power settings in control panel to high performance.

Also, I believe the whole cpu core unparking thing was debunked a while ago as basically being a placebo. Can’t remember where I read the article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_effectiv View Post
    Depending on what games you’re playing, 8gb may not be enough.

The 1050ti is a decent budget card, but it will not be playing most AAA games at ultra. At least not at decent FPS.

Also, I believe the whole cpu core unparking thing was debunked a while ago as basically being a placebo. Can’t remember where I read the article.
    Yup, 8Gb is not enough for many modern AAA titles and 1050Ti is even worse than GTX 960.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Nervebroke's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yup, 8Gb is not enough for many modern AAA titles and 1050Ti is even worse than GTX 960.
    I don't have a problem with 8GB of RAM and my 1050Ti. I don't play on ultra but it is good enough for me. I have an AMD Ryzen 1600. Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming motherboard. 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400. Not all of us have that kind of money to spend. To say what you said above may be true to Your liking.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have good enough FPS. Its just sometimes I drop FPS during a fight when I shouldn't be really.

Don't piss me off! I'm running out of places to hide the bodies
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

I have good enough FPS. Its just sometimes I drop FPS during a fight when I shouldn't be really.
    If you find a FPS that you like you can set a cap it there to smooth it out, sometime people get too caught up int the max FPS but the swings make gaming a bit erratic. There are different methods of capping your FPS, because I use a Gsync monitor I set the cap at 5 below the refresh rate and reduce game settings to keep it smooth.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

There can be many reasons for an FPS drop. It can be Hardware related as well as Software related.

Hardware related: component bottleneck, not enough resources, not enough powerful components to maintain stability
    Software related: software (game) is not optimized to utilize properly hardware resources or simply bad and lousy coding, multiple software running in the background, OS issues, Ati-Virus running in background and utilizing too much of system resources, etc...

With that said, since you have 8GB of RAM it is very possible that you are reaching limits and simply are running out of RAM. Thus, if you have Windows paging file (Virtual Memory) enabled then the system begins to utilize that part by simply creating a virtual memory on your drive where the OS is installed unless otherwise specified. As a result, since the storage memory is the slowest in PC then it is not efficient at all, thus, lags, FPS drops, stuttering, freezes, you name it, are happening.

So, I'd like to ask here. Which games are you playing? What settings are you running them at? Have you checked how system is utilizing hardware resources while running those games - i.e., running MSI Afterburner in the background and check what's your CPU, RAM, GPU usage?

When I said 8GB is not enough for modern games, here is an example that I made. People on forums say that 8 GB is enough to run Project Cars 2 (it also says in recommended specs by game devs) and then they start threads that they are experiencing stuttering etc. When I ask them how much RAM they have, it turns out they have 8 GB of RAM. I always direct them to this video that I made personally and explain them that the game alone is using 8GB of RAM and you need to count in there also the Windows RAM utilization, which usually is roughly 2GB - 3GB. So, in total you need 10GB - 11GB to run this game.

Last edited by ZED; 03-16-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Nervebroke View Post
    I don't have a problem with 8GB of RAM and my 1050Ti. I don't play on ultra but it is good enough for me. I have an AMD Ryzen 1600. Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming motherboard. 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400. Not all of us have that kind of money to spend. To say what you said above may be true to Your liking.
    I was simply pointing out that GTX 960, which is a previous generation card is slightly faster than GTX 1050Ti and you can always buy a used GTX 960. Although, for the money of GTX 1050Ti you can buy a used GTX 970, which is 60% faster.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

There can be many reasons for an FPS drop. It can be Hardware related as well as Software related.

Hardware related: component bottleneck, not enough resources, not enough powerful components to maintain stability
    Software related: software (game) is not optimized to utilize properly hardware resources or simply bad and lousy coding, multiple software running in the background, OS issues, Ati-Virus running in background and utilizing too much of system resources, etc...

With that said, since you have 8GB of RAM it is very possible that you are reaching limits and simply are running out of RAM. Thus, if you have Windows paging file (Virtual Memory) enabled then the system begins to utilize that part by simply creating a virtual memory on your drive where the OS is installed unless otherwise specified. As a result, since the storage memory is the slowest in PC then it is not efficient at all, thus, lags, FPS drops, stuttering, freezes, you name it, are happening.

So, I'd like to ask here. Which games are you playing? What settings are you running them at? Have you checked how system is utilizing hardware resources while running those games - i.e., running MSI Afterburner in the background and check what's your CPU, RAM, GPU usage?

When I said 8GB is not enough for modern games, here is an example that I made. People on forums say that 8 GB is enough to run Project Cars 2 (it also says in recommended specs by game devs) and then they start threads that they are experiencing stuttering etc. When I ask them how much RAM they have, it turns out they have 8 GB of RAM. I always direct them to this video that I made personally and explain them that the game alone is using 8GB of RAM and you need to count in there also the Windows RAM utilization, which usually is roughly 2GB - 3GB. So, in total you need 10GB - 11GB to run this game.

I play mostly OW and PUBG. In Overwatch I play Low-Medium settings just cause its not needed to be in high or ultra. FPS is around 100-140 and SOMETIMES drops to 60-70 in a huge fight where ultimates are going on and then back up to 100ish quickly.

PUBG on the other hand is lower fps. Everything is on LOW And I get like 45-60. And when I get into a zone where there are multiple people shooting and stuff it drops lower.

I havent ran anything in the background to test out my RAM/CPU usage cause im not familiar with that kind of technology.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I play mostly OW and PUBG. In Overwatch I play Low-Medium settings just cause its not needed to be in high or ultra. FPS is around 100-140 and SOMETIMES drops to 60-70 in a huge fight where ultimates are going on and then back up to 100ish quickly.

PUBG on the other hand is lower fps. Everything is on LOW And I get like 45-60. And when I get into a zone where there are multiple people shooting and stuff it drops lower.

I havent ran anything in the background to test out my RAM/CPU usage cause im not familiar with that kind of technology.
    As I mentioned before, you could try the following things to optimize your Windows for gaming: https://www.clanaod.net/forums/showthread.php?t=180580

You could also try this guide that I made for Battlefield 1 to prevent sudden FPS drops. Just simply do the same for any other game and simply specify the location of the game exe file in that command line:

Last edited by ZED; 03-16-2018 at 10:54 PM.

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The 1050ti is most certainly more powerful than a GTX 960. Especially in AAA titles of today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast