Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Finally Made the Move to Ultrawide

...at least, half way, that is :)

I honestly thought that I was going to puke every time I saw an ultrawide monitor...always thought they were just so "ewww". That, and I certainly didn't want to think about giving up 144hz / 165hz gaming when I have a rig that can push it (G-Sync or otherwise).

Then I took the plunge. As part of getting settled back into my apartment after the burst pipe adventure 3 weeks ago, yes, spending some spare moolah was defintely a part of the plan.

I drove to Microcenter, walked in, went straight to the monitor section and told the dude with a straight face, "The Asus 34" curved ultrawide with G-Sync, please...". Kudos for him being all like, "You got it..." without ever saying anything else. His colleagues in the section just looked at him like, "You son of a..." :)

(I guess they work on commission, right?)

So...my new baby...and holy hell...I'm in love :)

Even at only being max 100hz (thankfully due to Asus overclocking the refresh rate - w00t!) the experience is incredible with gameplay. I fired up Doom as a quick test and I seriously got chills and started sweating during a pretty intense battle. I don't know if it's the curved aspect or what, plus it being like 5 inches from your face, but man...insane.

I know that Asus is probably prepping the next version of this as being 144hz (or higher) so I can only imagine how much more incredible it's going to get. G-Sync makes it ultra smooth and with it capping out on me at 100 FPS, I honestly cannot tell the difference from being on my other display and capping at 144 or 165 FPS. That was my biggest fear / concern and the one thing that would have made me box it right back up and return it.

Now my deliema is....get a second one (*drool*) or hold out for the other big thing they got coming...the 4K / 144hz 27" display that they showed at Gamescon 2016? :)

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I don't even want to know how much money you spent on that... Seriously, that entire build is like over 4 Grand... What do you do for a living that lets you spend THAT much on PC components on such a regular basis?!?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Heh, did you see the other thread to where I'm making some "tweaks" to the new build I was working on? :)

I do data center and cloud architecture and deployments. I'm one of those that's extremely fortunate to absolutely love what I do and call it my "dream job". And when anyone puts their mind to something and excels at it, other things follow. For me, there is no "work life" and "personal life". The line that separates the two doesn't exist and I often mix them together, which is something else I love about what I do and the tech industry as a whole.

Tech is my career AND my passion / hobby (add in music production / mixing as well, all on a PC). It's where my money goes, so things are constantly evolving and getting bigger, better and faster for me.

Make sense or perhaps justify / explain things a bit better? :)

...and it was $1,300 ;)

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Time's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Man, consider me jealous! That's a gorgeous monitor!

And yeah, I've seen that 4K/144Hz monitor. Near shit myself in anticipation. The only issue I have is in waiting for GPU's to get to the point where they'll be able to render decently on it - I had issues with 3x GTX980's hitting 4K/60, so I imagine that 4K/144 will be a while off yet! Well, at least until developers learn to utilise SLi/Crossfire properly..

Seriously, Shadow of Mordor running off one GPU? That broke my heart :(

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! WaitDontSh00t's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Welcome to the club! I knew that Asus was coming out a while ago, but made the move a bit ago and went with the Acer X34. It's amazing...isn't?

Of course I game on my UW Monitor, but for my secondary that I just use for multi-tasking and monitoring temps, etc..I just use my Asus PB258Q monitor I got along with my Ultrawide. It's a 1440p IPS 25''. I have it vertical next to my UW and it looks great, and gets the job done!

Here's one picture I took a while ago just to give you an idea, I love how I have it setup, maybe you will too!
    http://imgur.com/yMmQmM5

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I EpicBlob's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Ugh kickass setup man! I've got a dual 24inch setup (one being 144hz gsync) and I absolultety love it. I think for my next major upgrade, I'll keep my current gsync monitor as the middle screen and get two curved gsync monitors for that triple threat :)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_WaitDontSh00t View Post
    Welcome to the club! I knew that Asus was coming out a while ago, but made the move a bit ago and went with the Acer X34. It's amazing...isn't?

Of course I game on my UW Monitor, but for my secondary that I just use for multi-tasking and monitoring temps, etc..I just use my Asus PB258Q monitor I got along with my Ultrawide. It's a 1440p IPS 25''. I have it vertical next to my UW and it looks great, and gets the job done!

Here's one picture I took a while ago just to give you an idea, I love how I have it setup, maybe you will too!
    http://imgur.com/yMmQmM5
    Nice setup dude! Just getting started on my new build with custom loops (first time working with liquid cooling, so this has been quite the experience thus far), SLI 1080s, and other goodies. Can't wait to get it completed, add some LED accent lighting to my new desk setup, and turn the lights out :)

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue Fuz's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Woot

Looks nice, I might try to see how much it would cost for I to get one as well. Very sexy

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I've come to love it more and more since I bought it. I really was on the verge of returning it, but I'm definitely keeping it, and it's just so damn sexy :)

It took me a little bit to adjust to the drop from 165Hz (from my Asus ROG Swift PG279Q) down to just 100Hz of this one. When you take into account that you're running a game like Battlefield 1 (loved the open Beta on this thing!), Battlefront, Doom, etc... at 3440x1440 and in my current build, it stays totally consistent at 100 FPS (and capped via 100Hz refresh rate)...it's quite the feat.

For work stuff / productivity, Excel is now totally my bitch ;)

ANyhow, I really thought about getting a second one (I'm OCD and my current setup of a 34" Ultrawide and a 27" irks me, although it's still sleek) but I'm hoping that in the next few months, we'll see an updated Asus 34" Ultrawide with possibly a 144hz refresh rate (or higher) or the other one they're going to release, the 4K / 144hz G-Sync display, will be comparable in price.