Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1. #1
    Okay, who put a stop payment on my reality check? Pipex's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chile
    Age
    22
    Posts
    454

    Icon5 What would be a decent computer build for these requirements?

    Hello all, I'm currently in the planning phase for a really needed computer upgrade. A (what I think was) power surge did something to my current computer and since then I haven't been able to turn it on. I've asked some friends in AOD and they say that theres a 70% chance that only the power supply unit was affected and the rest is fine. Well, a friend is coming during the weekend to take a look at it. Anyway, if its either alright or not, I think I will need to buy a new computer for next year. For both, gaming and study/work reasons.

    When it comes to gaming, Im left behind, a lot. I know this is a luxury, but it is what I enjoy, so if you can recommend me a new setup, it would be nice if it is something that can keep up with new games for some years would be nice. (Don't worry, I'm not interested in 4K quality or stuff like that, just some decent visuals and stable FPS)

    When it comes to study/work, I'm interested in fast code compile times, and also fast compile times for level design, I know that probably a decent gaming computer would be enough for these requirements, but, since I dont know too much when it comes to hardware, I'll let the experts decide that.

    Ok so, with those requirements, now comes my possible budget. First of all, it is not a fixed amount, since I need to pay for meds, and that stuff may require more or less depending on the new doses my doctor gives me. At best I could save up to $1000, so working around that value would be best.

    Also, the reason of why I am posting this here is because I have little to no idea about computer parts, what would be the best combinations for a certain budget, etc. Last time I got a computer, my uninformed decision ended up with me getting a videocard that bottleneck'd the system. So that's basically it, I hope I can get some info help to finally acquire a decent computers for new games.

    Thank you beforehand.

  2. #2
    The Token Staff Sergeant
    AOD_Master Butters's Avatar
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Jedi Knight
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,203

    Default

    Building your own or buying prebuilt? You'll get a lot more bang for your buck if you build it yourself, but if you feel very strongly that you can't do it (it's really easy, especially with all the directions you can find online these days) then you'll get what I feel would be something only marginally better than mediocre at this point.
    http://www.clanaod.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10768&dateline=135607  8793
    Don't fold if you're made to bend.

  3. #3
    Okay, who put a stop payment on my reality check? Pipex's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chile
    Age
    22
    Posts
    454

    Default

    Build on my own.

  4. #4
    Don't piss me off! I'm running out of places to hide the bodies AOD Member AOD_ZED's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    AOD Racing
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,992

    Default

    i5 6600k + GTX 1070 + Z170 Motherboard + 16 GB RAM + SSD will meet all your requirements.
    However, if you can wait a couple month and see if Intel Kaby Lake or AMD ZEN is released then I would recommend to wait.
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_0...dKywFi90AiVjAQ
    CPU: i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz 1.25v
    GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 @ 2050 Mhz / 8400 Mhz
    Motherboard: ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero
    RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000MHz

  5. #5
    If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Criggles's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    27
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Try to find a used x79 setup someone is selling. You should be able to grab a 3930k/4930k with a decent mobo. Not the latest and greatest but with a decent OC, you can get within 5-10% of Skylake on single thread and obliterate any of the 4C/8T stuff for multithreaded work.

    As for a GPU, lots of 980ti's should be up for sale by previous owners and you can pick one up for cheap.

    I understand I'm suggesting used parts but with your budget, you should be able to find someone selling them in good condition and save some money.

    CPU gives you enough PCI-E lanes to grab another GPU for sli later (if you choose) and still have bandwidth left for pcie ssd's down the road.

    It'll be a fairly good rig for HPC work and let you save up money so you can do a full overhaul in a few years.



    Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Okay, who put a stop payment on my reality check? AOD Member AOD_KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    19
    Posts
    479

    Default

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($52.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($439.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.89 @ OutletPC)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.49 @ SuperBiiz)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.88 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1155.57
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-04 10:02 EDT-0400

    That fits everything you need. And, you can SLI later too.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k Clocked at 4.5 Ghz GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual X OC
    RAM: 32 GB DDR4 Mobo: MSI Z170A SLI Plus
    Storage: 120 GB SSD, 1.7 TB total HDD space Headphones: Sennheiser HD558
    Microphone: CAD Audio u37

  7. #7
    Knee High to a Worms Ass MadJack's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Age
    18
    Posts
    8

    Default

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

    Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    MSI H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB x2 (16gb) DDR4 @2133Mhz
    Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5"
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB CLASSIFIED GAMING ACX 2.0+
    Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case
    Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
    Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan (Intake)


    Now where Could you cut Corners:

    A 980TI for you may be over kill if so i would Recommend a 980 or 970 or even a R9 390 but a 980ti will do wonders for your FPS
    This pc could run on a 650w Psu but i went 750 just to make sure our heads aint just above water and to make sure you dont have to worry about power supply going R.I.P
    You Could go with 8gb Ram
    You can get rid of the SSD and go with a 2TB or even 2.5Tb Mechanical Drive
    Cheaper Case
    Get rid of the extra fan as the case has 2 fans with it already

  8. #8
    Okay, who put a stop payment on my reality check? AOD Member AOD_KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    19
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MadJack View Post
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

    Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    MSI H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB x2 (16gb) DDR4 @2133Mhz
    Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5"
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB CLASSIFIED GAMING ACX 2.0+
    Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case
    Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
    Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan (Intake)


    Now where Could you cut Corners:

    A 980TI for you may be over kill if so i would Recommend a 980 or 970 or even a R9 390 but a 980ti will do wonders for your FPS
    This pc could run on a 650w Psu but i went 750 just to make sure our heads aint just above water and to make sure you dont have to worry about power supply going R.I.P
    You Could go with 8gb Ram
    You can get rid of the SSD and go with a 2TB or even 2.5Tb Mechanical Drive
    Cheaper Case
    Get rid of the extra fan as the case has 2 fans with it already
    That's such a bad setup it's not even funny...

    Why get the i5-6600 when he can get a 6600k and stay in budget? No reason to get an aftermarket cooler with a non-K CPU. Loading times aren't so bad that he needs a 250 GB SSD. a 980Ti is a waste when the 1070is more powerful than it. Also that case is pretty bad... Additionally, if you don't want your PSU going RIP, it's not the Wattage that you need to worry about, it's the actual Quality of the PSU. Corsair RMx series PSU's are ok, but are over priced. the EVGA G2 series is the best quality for the money. And, you don't need the extra intake fan at all.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k Clocked at 4.5 Ghz GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual X OC
    RAM: 32 GB DDR4 Mobo: MSI Z170A SLI Plus
    Storage: 120 GB SSD, 1.7 TB total HDD space Headphones: Sennheiser HD558
    Microphone: CAD Audio u37

  9. #9
    Don't piss me off! I'm running out of places to hide the bodies AOD Member AOD_ZED's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    AOD Racing
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_KaosC57 View Post
    That's such a bad setup it's not even funny...

    Why get the i5-6600 when he can get a 6600k and stay in budget? No reason to get an aftermarket cooler with a non-K CPU. Loading times aren't so bad that he needs a 250 GB SSD. a 980Ti is a waste when the 1070is more powerful than it. Also that case is pretty bad... Additionally, if you don't want your PSU going RIP, it's not the Wattage that you need to worry about, it's the actual Quality of the PSU. Corsair RMx series PSU's are ok, but are over priced. the EVGA G2 series is the best quality for the money. And, you don't need the extra intake fan at all.
    I agree on that i5 6600 none K is a waste of money. Rather then get i5 6500, which is much cheaper and performance wise is pretty close to 6600 none K version:
    http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare...600/3513vs3514

    Also, I do agree that not the Wattage is important but the quality. For single GPU setups a 600W is enough and even leaves some extra headroom.

    Moreover, I do agree that 900 series NVIDIA GPU's is a waste at this point cause 1000 series are out. GTX 1070 is much more powerful when overclocked than 980Ti and costs way less.
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_0...dKywFi90AiVjAQ
    CPU: i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz 1.25v
    GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 @ 2050 Mhz / 8400 Mhz
    Motherboard: ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero
    RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000MHz

  10. #10
    Knee High to a Worms Ass MadJack's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Age
    18
    Posts
    8

    Default

    how is that bad as he didnt state that he would be over clocking so whats the point of going with the K if hes not going to overclock ? and theres nothing wrong with a 980 TI at all yes the 1070 would be a good option but still i made a recommendation i didnt say this is the ultimate pc it was targeted for non overclock system and a 980ti is more than enough

  11. #11
    Don't piss me off! I'm running out of places to hide the bodies AOD Member AOD_ZED's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    AOD Racing
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MadJack View Post
    how is that bad as he didnt state that he would be over clocking so whats the point of going with the K if hes not going to overclock ? and theres nothing wrong with a 980 TI at all yes the 1070 would be a good option but still i made a recommendation i didnt say this is the ultimate pc it was targeted for non overclock system and a 980ti is more than enough
    what about the fact that GTX 1070 is cheaper? Why spend more money on old GPU that is slower?
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_0...dKywFi90AiVjAQ
    CPU: i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz 1.25v
    GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 @ 2050 Mhz / 8400 Mhz
    Motherboard: ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero
    RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000MHz

  12. #12
    Okay, who put a stop payment on my reality check? AOD Member AOD_KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    19
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MadJack View Post
    how is that bad as he didnt state that he would be over clocking so whats the point of going with the K if hes not going to overclock ? and theres nothing wrong with a 980 TI at all yes the 1070 would be a good option but still i made a recommendation i didnt say this is the ultimate pc it was targeted for non overclock system and a 980ti is more than enough
    Because, he will WANT to OC. Without OC, your CPU will get outdated pretty fast. The difference between a 6600 and a 6600K is massive after OC'ing. I can get my 6600K to go up to 4.5Ghz without any problems. I'm actually gonna try 4.6Ghz here soon. That will last me until Cannonlake or even maybe Icelake or Tigerlake (Cannonlake is the 10nm architecture, Icelake will replace Cannonlake but will stick to the same 10nm, and Tigerlake will replace Icelake with minor optimizations to get the fullest out of the 10nm architecture.) Also the 1070 is CHEAPER than a 980Ti for MORE performance.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k Clocked at 4.5 Ghz GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual X OC
    RAM: 32 GB DDR4 Mobo: MSI Z170A SLI Plus
    Storage: 120 GB SSD, 1.7 TB total HDD space Headphones: Sennheiser HD558
    Microphone: CAD Audio u37

  13. #13
    Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AOD Member AOD_DCC70's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    PlayerUnknown
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Florida (Go Gators!!!!!)
    Age
    20
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZedZedski View Post
    what about the fact that GTX 1070 is cheaper? Why spend more money on old GPU that is slower?
    Because you can get a 980ti dirt cheap anymore. I know of people selling theirs without ever being overclocked and not a lot of hours for $250 or so recently. So actually you can get a 980ti much cheaper than a 1070, however you will have to search for one that is lightly used, or get one from someone you know. You may even have to sit on it and keep an eye out for one at that price. Last I saw go for that much was last month on the Iracing forums.

  14. #14
    Okay, who put a stop payment on my reality check? AOD Member AOD_KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    19
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_DCC70 View Post
    Because you can get a 980ti dirt cheap anymore. I know of people selling theirs without ever being overclocked and not a lot of hours for $250 or so recently. So actually you can get a 980ti much cheaper than a 1070, however you will have to search for one that is lightly used, or get one from someone you know. You may even have to sit on it and keep an eye out for one at that price. Last I saw go for that much was last month on the Iracing forums.
    I wouldn't take a Used 980Ti when, for a bit more I could get a new 1070. It's a waste of money.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k Clocked at 4.5 Ghz GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual X OC
    RAM: 32 GB DDR4 Mobo: MSI Z170A SLI Plus
    Storage: 120 GB SSD, 1.7 TB total HDD space Headphones: Sennheiser HD558
    Microphone: CAD Audio u37

  15. #15
    Can I have your Tots Penlane's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11

    Default

    If you have the time I would wait for Zen or Kaby Lake to be honest...

    Zen is supposed to be the grand new thing by AMD and they usually win the "bang for buck" segment ;)

  16. #16
    #Superhuman AOD Member AOD_Tymplar's Avatar
    Rank
    Specialist
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    138

    Default

    If you want to hold out for AMDs Zen...that's one thing, but there's absolutely ZERO need to hold out for Kaby Lake vs. Skylake.

    The only architectural difference between Skylake and Kaby Lake is the die (Kaby Lake is smaller at 14nm) but that's it. With that, it's aimed more at optimizing battery life (smaller die = less TDP = less heat / longer battery life). It has some optimized encoding instruction sets and if you're NOT running a dedicated GPU (and thus levergaging the GPU functionality to be performed by the CPU itself), it can run slightly better than Skylake. BUT...if you answered "yes" to that last bit...go buy a console ;)

    Kaby Lake will actually be slower clock-speed wise than Skylake at the top end (4.0 GHz for Skylake vs. 3.6GHz for Kaby Lake). Both top out at 4.2Ghz Turbo Boost.

    Also, just in case someone isn't running Windows 10 for any given reason, I believe any Kaby Lake optimizations will only benefit Windows 10 as well.

    If anything, it may drive down the price of the 6700k when the 7700k is available for retail sale sometime in October.
    i7-6850K Broadwell-E 6-Core 3.60 GHz | Asus ROG Strix X99 Gaming LGA2011-v3 | 128 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | nVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB Founders Edition | NZXT H440 ATX Mid-Tower (Matte Black & Red) | Corsair HX1000i Modular PSU
    Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB NVMe SSD | (x3) Samsung EVO 960 1 TB SSD
    Asus ROG Swift 34" PG348Q Ultrawide | (x2) Asus MG279Q 27"

  17. #17
    #Superhuman AOD Member AOD_Tymplar's Avatar
    Rank
    Specialist
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    138

    Default

    And I'll have a nice (relatively new, shiny) complete X99 build available soon if you'd rather do that ;)
    i7-6850K Broadwell-E 6-Core 3.60 GHz | Asus ROG Strix X99 Gaming LGA2011-v3 | 128 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | nVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB Founders Edition | NZXT H440 ATX Mid-Tower (Matte Black & Red) | Corsair HX1000i Modular PSU
    Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB NVMe SSD | (x3) Samsung EVO 960 1 TB SSD
    Asus ROG Swift 34" PG348Q Ultrawide | (x2) Asus MG279Q 27"

  18. #18
    Don't piss me off! I'm running out of places to hide the bodies AOD Member AOD_ZED's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    AOD Racing
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Tymplar View Post

    The only architectural difference between Skylake and Kaby Lake is the die (Kaby Lake is smaller at 14nm)
    Kaby Lake will actually be slower clock-speed wise than Skylake at the top end (4.0 GHz for Skylake vs. 3.6GHz for Kaby Lake)
    Umm, Skylake is 14nm
    http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/...up-to-4_20-GHz

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Tymplar View Post
    Kaby Lake will actually be slower clock-speed wise than Skylake at the top end (4.0 GHz for Skylake vs. 3.6GHz for Kaby Lake)
    Those are rumored numbers and we really don't know yet.
    Last edited by AOD_ZED; 09-07-2016 at 08:55 AM.
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_0...dKywFi90AiVjAQ
    CPU: i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz 1.25v
    GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 @ 2050 Mhz / 8400 Mhz
    Motherboard: ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero
    RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000MHz

  19. #19
    #Superhuman AOD Member AOD_Tymplar's Avatar
    Rank
    Specialist
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZedZedski View Post
    You are correct, and that is my mistake. I mis-read that the same 14nm die has been "optimized" and "made thinner" with Kaby Lake vs. a die change and with a slightly better thermal footprint. That, and forgot that this was the first cycle of dropping the whole, "Tick / Tock" release cycle and going with the three-stage approach of, "Architecture, Optimization, Process".

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZedZedski View Post
    Those are rumored numbers and we really don't know yet.
    Those are recent, leaked specifications from benchmark results. The intent with Kaby Lake isn't to displace Skylake. It's meant to supplement it and is more heavily focused on improvements with mobile devices. Yeah, there are some new features as part of the "Optimization" refresh that will appeal to some when buying or building a new desktop, too, but they won't render anyone currently running Skylake as "obsolete".

    The best way to look at it is that around this time next year, we'll see "Skylake-X" and "Kaby Lake-X", the successors to Broadwell-E for the Enthusiast platform and as an entirely new socket / chipset. "Skylake-X" will remain focused on the upper end with higher clocks and more cores and "Kaby Lake-X" will be the lower-end of the Enthusiast line. Same concept here.
    i7-6850K Broadwell-E 6-Core 3.60 GHz | Asus ROG Strix X99 Gaming LGA2011-v3 | 128 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | nVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB Founders Edition | NZXT H440 ATX Mid-Tower (Matte Black & Red) | Corsair HX1000i Modular PSU
    Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB NVMe SSD | (x3) Samsung EVO 960 1 TB SSD
    Asus ROG Swift 34" PG348Q Ultrawide | (x2) Asus MG279Q 27"

  20. #20
    Okay, who put a stop payment on my reality check? AOD Member AOD_KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    19
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Tymplar View Post
    Those are recent, leaked specifications from benchmark results. The intent with Kaby Lake isn't to displace Skylake. It's meant to supplement it and is more heavily focused on improvements with mobile devices. Yeah, there are some new features as part of the "Optimization" refresh that will appeal to some when buying or building a new desktop, too, but they won't render anyone currently running Skylake as "obsolete".

    The best way to look at it is that around this time next year, we'll see "Skylake-X" and "Kaby Lake-X", the successors to Broadwell-E for the Enthusiast platform and as an entirely new socket / chipset. "Skylake-X" will remain focused on the upper end with higher clocks and more cores and "Kaby Lake-X" will be the lower-end of the Enthusiast line. Same concept here.
    The 6600k is still going to be a great CPU, but the 7600k is going to be about 10% better optimized and add a few new instructions. But, it isn't anything you will want to just drop everything and buy right when it comes out if you already have Skylake. Like me. Maybe after Icelake comes out (The Optimized 10nm architecture that comes after Tigerlake, which comes after Canonlake...) an upgrade from Skylake to Kabylake MIGHT be viable.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k Clocked at 4.5 Ghz GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual X OC
    RAM: 32 GB DDR4 Mobo: MSI Z170A SLI Plus
    Storage: 120 GB SSD, 1.7 TB total HDD space Headphones: Sennheiser HD558
    Microphone: CAD Audio u37


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin By: ForumThemes.com
Top