I took an IQ test and the results were negative Greenmask20's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Graphics card dying?

So I was playing Anno 2205 last night and I started getting graphics coruption and static through my speakers. I am watching the screen now and there is a ton of static on the screen and alot of discoloration. This is what the screen should look like. http://imgur.com/vdgRXxn This is what I am dealing with now. http://imgur.com/H3Yt4Ls . I am using an HP Envy DV7 with windows 8.1. with Intel core I5-3210M @2.5 GHZ with a Intel HD graphics 4000 built in with a Nvidia Geforce 630M as a designated card. I have tried completely deleting the graphics driver for both cards and reinstalling, I have tried both the HDMI output and the VGA output and I get the same output as the laptop screen. When I use the HDMI output, The screen will flicker and turn off and on with static scratching through the tv speakers. I have encountered this problem before, but for the life of me, I can not remember what I did to get rid of the issue. I am simply wondering if the graphics cards are on their last leg, or if there is another issue. The 630M is only used to boost the graphics of the 4000, and using the HDMI output to TV only uses the 4000 output. The VGA output gives me worse output than the HDMI because I get alot of static and waves in the screen. Sorry about the quality of the pics, I only had a handheld cam to take the pics of the screen as screen capture does not capture the artifacts. I have had nothing but issues with this laptop so I would warn everyone NOT to buy HP. This laptop is less than 3 years old.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

HP already explains everything. I used to work in HP as technician. Their laptops are garbage, even today.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Criggles's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Check your temps using CoreTemp or something similar. Also use a can of air and if you can take the bottom panel off, try to clean out any dust blocking the fans/heatsink.

Is it happening only after a certain time? When you power up, does the BIOS setup show the same issues?

Download a live usb version of Ubuntu or some Linux distro and boot into it. Check if the issue happens in it as well, if not then, go back to Windows and I'd it happens in Windows, it may just be a software issue instead of a hardware issue.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

I took an IQ test and the results were negative Greenmask20's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

No, the BIOS does not show the same issues. only when the login screen for windows pops up does it start. I have already blown out the dust, but temps usualy hover around 60 C at idle, and ramp all the way up to around 110 C under heavy load (Playing a game like planetside 2 has done this) before it thermaly shuts down. Chock that up to HP and their horrible cooling.
    Yes before you ask I do have a laptop cooling pad that I always use, but I find that temps only drop 3 C at most even with it on high. I have Korora, Ubuntu, and Zorin stored on my external hard drive so later tonight I will try that. After letting the laptop sit for a while it seems it tends to go away for a little bit then comes back worse. I am running a full virus scan at the moment so I cant do anything with it until that is done. As previously stated, this has happened to me before, but I can not for the life of me remember what I did to get rid of the issue. It seems the red tint is being thrown off, but that doesnt explain all the artifacts being shown, which makes me think it is a graphics card issue.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Criggles's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

60C is still a bit hot for temps and 110C is definitely too high for load. My rMBP sits at around 35C for idle/browsing and only hits 65C under heavy load. I am running a custom fan curve so that may be making a bit of difference. I'd suggest opening up the bottom and removing the heatsink if you feel comfortable and replacing the thermal paste. Did that to my parents laptop a while back and it runs noticeably cooler after replacing it. I remember my old 8800GTS would hit 91C under load and it was perfectly acceptable for it as the card was rated to run at 110C but for a laptop, 100C is definitely too hot and you may have already caused damage to the GPU and CPU at this point.