Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Overclocking system

Hey guys,

I am currently trying to get the most out of my processor at this point because I feel like I get poor performance from my games even though my system isn't a horrible set up. However overclocking is just something I have never dabbled in myself so I am looking to the guidance of those who are familiar in it,
    I did a bit of reading and installed some programs including cpu-z just to confirm my settings after I tinkered around in my BIOS, I believe I achieved 4.2GHZ I didn't change much in my bios other than setting the frequency to about 4200mhz I didn't adjust the voltage I left it at 1.200 I am uncertain if I should bump it up to 1.3 or just leave it as is.

My specs are as below :
    Windows 10
    CPU - I5-4690k
    Motherboard - MSI Z97 gaming 5
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM set as a frequency of 1866mhz
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    700 watt Corsair powersupply
    2TB HDD
    128GB SSD

Thanks in advance.

Let the rivers flow red with the blood of our enemies PS_Anubis's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

dont jump it up a full setting from 1.2 to 1.3, to small jumps like 1.225 or something as you increase. The more Voltage you put in the more heat your going to generate too, With Air cooled, 4.2 should be good. I have the i5-4690k also on the MSI gaming 3 and the R9 290x 4gb and 16gb ram at 1600mhz so your just abit more powerful (atm lol) than me. If you want to really Overclock id depends on 2 things, You air or Liquid cooled? air cooled most ppl dont bother going past 4.0 cause heat, liquid easily push 4.5ghz.

In all honestly keeping 1.2V and just setting to 4.2ghz, im amazed you have not had issues (if air cooled)

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'm pretty surprised your PC hasn't yelled at you with those settings. I personally get BSOD's at anything above 4.0 with Stock voltage on my 6600k. I run around 1.3v at 4.6Ghz and I get around 60c - 65c on Air.